+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Windows Vista Thread, The most annoyin things about vista in Technical; Originally Posted by webman Oh, that. I don't find windows flashing, wobbling or flying around to be very productive so ...
    Thank Post

Re: The most annoyin things about vista

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Oh, that. I don't find windows flashing, wobbling or flying around to be very productive so I turned it off.
    Not a fan of AppleOS then?

And you're at work why are you been productive!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    Not a fan of AppleOS then?
    No, not really

And you're at work why are you been productive!
    No comment 8)

richard

I've been using Vista Ultimate at home know for about weeks and on the whole its been ok. My machine isn't the fastest P4 3.0Ghz, 2 Gig RAM and 256MB graphics but it does me. I have found a few annoying niggles though the main one being the fact that I loose audio sometimes after I have watched a DivX file something that never happened when it ran XP. A reboot does solve the problem I have also found that Adobe Photoshop can sometimes be a bit flaky as well.

The worst thing though is the amount of hand holding that it does. It is definitely aimed at those people who have no real clue on what they are doing and if you disable UAC it moans like hell.

Thank Post

When I eventually upgrade to Vista at home I'm going to make school pay for the difference in price between Home Premium and Ulitmate, seen as I need the Business features to do my work

Thank Post

I'm a little disapointed in this thread when you consider the incredibly detailed, well informed and professional answers people recieve to very technical questions on these forums. I ran a couple of vista beta's on an off during its development and it wasn't ready. However RC2 was a real operating system. Its new and a little different I personally don't like the "momma knows best" approach to security I think education is better but I realise thats totally unrealistic.

However 20 seconds on google later and I disabled the handholding features that I don't feel I need.

Everyone here is extoling the superior virtues of XP over the bog standard out of the box install of Vista they just did. Is you XP install "vanilla" I know mine never are. I'm sure I'm forgetting some but my XP install process includes at least 30 registry edits or settings tweaks and 3 utility installs before I consider it a usuable OS and I'm sure you guys are the same because I learned some of those registry edits from you. Yet your barating Vista for not being tailored to you out of the box.

I Picked up an OEM Vista x64 Ultimate disc Around the beginning of march and Dual booted it on my home system. Driver support especially for printers was ropey at best. However the important stuff was there. In the following month updates from HP and Highpoint sorted out almost all my complaints. As of the easter holidays my dual boot is gone I'm on Vista 100% now. Working on XP in work frustrates me no search bar thing that I can run everything from even if I don't know where it is in the start menu and the lack of that newfangled dropdown on click browsing thing in the address bar of explorer windows which for me has now totally replaced back button and largely replaced the folders pane.

Application compatitbility I hear alot of complaints about. I've not found anything yet that I can't run. Some have been big surprises. I thought for sure Daemon's tools drive emulation given that it needs to install a fake driver would fair but it worked way back at RC2. Sony erricson phone suite complained but put it in XP compatibility mode and its happy. Now I don't run educational software or MIS stuff at home obviosuly and I have every expectation that they would crash and burn but then we didn't move our admin system to XP the year it came out did we? For that matter I think ours here ran NT4 workstation for 3 years after windows 2k came out.

Now genuine complaints cos I have some

Performance. I have lost some. Its not noticable in desktop use certainly on my core 2, 2GB ram, Nvidia 7900GTX system but I know I've lost some FPS in games which can be noticable in company of heros multiplayer especially. I feel its fair enough tho. There is a "hump" for vista performance just like there was for XP. Up to it the OS runs like a dog compared to 98SE likewise up to the hump for Vista it runs like a dog compared to XP but as the bottom of the line new PC surpasses that hump Vista will become ubiquitous just like XP has. I'm also hopeful that refinement of the Creative xfi and Nvidia drivers will help performance. I don't understand why MS stopped EAX from working but they did and creative are doubtless gonan take a while to catch up... possibly xfi2 knowing there past record for product support.

Security.

Alot of people are saying "wait for SP1 to fix securiity" this is I feel a second hand opinion being upheld by legions of fairly technically knowledgable people with very little basis. Its possible a huge security flaw could be found in vista tomorrow but its equally possible one could be found in XP tomorrow. Its very likely the same flaw would affect both. The only major security patch I've recieved on Vista so far was for an exploite which existed in cursor handling of IE and affects every windows OS that can run explorer. MS put alot of effort into security in Vista and I think its paid off. I've brought a virus or 2 home of memory sticks from work by accident since going vista and even without my AVG antivirus (I don't use resident sheild) they couldn't do anything on vista. With vista your much safer from new threats than XP due to user control. On a safety scale I'd put Vista alot closer to Linux than XP at the present time.

Network Control panel.

At first I put this down to newness, unfamiliarity, stupidity on my part but I'm now convinced its bad design. On XP I can get from desktop to a network config in 5 clicks (inlcuding a right click to open a menu and the left click to select as 2). It is impossible to get to the Vista network adapters and open they're properties in less and 8 because you have to go through network managent first. A page that has little or no information that you wouldn't know before getting there. You can bet I'm going to network options because I don't have an internet connection or a lan connection telling me when I get there that the internet isn't available is not the most useful. I fragged my WRT54GL router flashing a firmware recently and had to visit network properties alot in the process of fixing it so this one really wound me up.

Windows firewall... when I turned it off I meant it. Re-enabling it every time I change a network setting doesn't make me happy.

BTW in response to somone above. When I allocate network adapters to safety zones they stay there. Sounds like you've found a bug.

In short I'm happy on vista atm. My games work, my videos and music work. My re-encoding and DVB TV card software work, my 2.2k TB raid array works and the usability features are making me faster in routine tasks. Media centre for all is a huge boon too.

It wont be going near the school network for at least 3 years maybe more. Until there is a real need for it either because MS stop supporting XP or we get software of strong educational or management value that needs Vista. For home use tho I'm sold and I think you guys should at least be giving it a fair chance instead of falling into the "I read badvista I hate it" or "I eat up MS propaganda I love it" camps.

Thank Post

I loved the Bradcrumb bar too, but was told it already existed on other platforms.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmonkey
    4. Office 2003 - On loading a document, you get the preview, not the actual document.
    You do?
    When you open it from an outlook email attachement I think they are meaning, but you can turn it off with GP or per user.
    Indeed. This is something you definitely don't have to "live with"

there has to be a default. For anything which has 2 or more possible states there are going to be some people who want one of the options; some who want a different one.

Microsoft collect shed loads of data from the "customer experience improvement program" and part of this will be how many people let Word load read-only documents in preview mode and how many load in normal mode. That then affects the decision about what should be the default but it is a default - it's not something you can't change!

Thank Post

Sorry i'm with Teth... it is the only OS installed on my admin pc at work, yes i have so far found 2 programs that do no work with it. Ok minor problem but i've worked around it because i feel Vista is a much better OS than XP. I will be upgrading my home laptop and pc to Vista over the next few weeks too. On the whole i think as a working pc Vista is wonderful, some of the new features have made my life a lot quicker. Though like Teth i'm running it on a core 2 2gigram and decent GFX card so i have no comparision for slower pcs. I wont be putting it out around the college for at least 6-12 months due to Ranger and PASS4Windows not supporting it. When they do i will be looking at running 1 IT suite with it. As by then i think most of the pupils will be running it at home and will be questioning why the college is behind.

Thank Post

Re: The most annoyin things about vista ----my take

i agree with most of the posts here

I HATE IT thought ( lol ) :?

but why oh WHY do microsoft insist on giving us things that we didn't ask for?

if i have the knowledge to setup a default user profile, why must it be practically destroyed after sysprep ?? ( yes i know about deleting 'stubpath' entries in the registry, but i shouldn't have to !!)

Why does IE7 look like mozilla, and not IE6??? our partially sighted kids cant use it its awful !!!

why in vista can i no longer remove installed components such as windows mail etc messenger ??

I've tons more questions, but those are some of my gripes.

WHEN IS MICROSOFT ACTUALLY GOING TO LISTEN TO EDUCATION ADMINISTRATORS?

can you actually give any feedback ?

lets hope REACTOS takes off, and all schools can use that for free

Thank Post

Typical Vista,

Do you want to do that?

Select YES

Are you sure you want to do that?

select YES

Are you really sure you want to do that?

Select Yes

Are you really, really, really sure you want to do that?

YESSSSSS

Is that you final answer?

select yes

is that really your final answer?

Windows Vista meet Windows in wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Timely article
    "After Ubuntu, Windows Looks Increasingly Bad, Increasingly Archaic, Increasingly Unfriendly"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234