+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Sharing VISTA files - or not in Technical; I've got Vista installed on my home PC (business edition at the moment, although we have ultimate available now). It's ...

Thank Post

Sharing VISTA files - or not

I've got Vista installed on my home PC (business edition at the moment, although we have ultimate available now). It's set up as a workgroup PC as it's just a PC. My laptop is part of the school domain.

When my PC had XP on it, I could share folders (eg c:\backup) and access them from my laptop - great.

When I upgraded to VISTA, the print shares still worked, but the file shares didn't. Password protected sharing is off but I get from my laptop: "\\paulvista\backup" is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact .........."

If I turn on password protected sharing on the Vista machine, I get prompted on my laptop for the username and password on the vista machine, which I put in, but then get "\\paulvista" is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact .........."

What I have managed to do is share the public folder and can therefore transfer files that way. I can also share folders from my laptop to the VISTA machine, but I'm not keen on that because they may be visible at school too.

It's got to have something to do with workgroups and domains, but I can't work out what or why. Anybody had similar experiences?

Thank Post

Re: Sharing VISTA files - or not

Although its not much help, I had similar headaches while beta testing Vista.

Setting up normal workgroup shares and the like at home proved to be too much of a PITA so I gave up [for the time being].

I even had ..."fun"... when both computers were running Vista.

I thought it was probably just me and left it. Got a NAS device [that only works using a driver/software which of course was just as useless as obviously no Vista support] so now the beta testing is all over, it was back to running XP again hehe

I do really like Vista, but its confusing things like this that should be easy for us to do that annoy me with Microsoft.

Nath.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread