+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, vista usb in Technical; i have not been on these forums for a bit i have been busy trying to do a course but ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

vista usb

i have not been on these forums for a bit i have been busy trying to do a course but now thats finished and i am back. while on my course we had new pc's 5 of them bought in and we had to help set them up one morning all was going well. then we tried to connect the printer it did not reconise it.printers brand new. them we had some other stuff we had to install from a usb stick again not reconised. after 3 hours we gave up and went back to the old ones after dinner the tutor told us that vista has sdome major issues with usb. has anyone heard of this finished the course now but still in touch with the tutor. he wondered if it was just him.

Thank Post

Re: vista usb

There are lots of posts both here on edugeek and elswhere regarding Vista USB issues.
    As Vista extends policy management to USB devices as well as protecting everything with UserAccessControl it appears that any "In Place" upgrades may not inherit some of the default Vista USB Host settings or Drivers.

Someone reported some success by starting in safe mode and deleting all USB related drivers and redetecting.

I only managed to resolve mine with a clean build.

Now all my USB Storage works but most of my other stuff doesn't.

My Zen Micro doesn't work anymore.
    My HP2600n Colour Laserjet will not be supported until July if at all.
    Nero doesn't work for me.
    Most of my tools and utilities only run if configured in XP compatability mode and run as administrator.
    I could create a list probably dozens of lines long listing applications that are broken in one way or another.

What does work? Everything Microsoft gave me.

So, either dual boot or VM an XP machine seems to be the best answer at the moment.
    There is one thing for sure, my next laptop will be a Mac..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

@Geoff, Nero V7 does work with Vista, and its well known that you need V7 to work with Vista. I agree that USB can be a bit iffy, but it does seem to be best on clean wipe installs.

Thank Post

Whilst Nero 7 did work I had to un-install the emulator (Drive Image) as it kept causing a BSOD.
    I replaced this with Virtual DAEMON which does work.
    In my original Nero XP installation Nero Recode would convert the ASF files created with my Digital Camcorder into AVI.

Vista seems currently unable to support the Intel Codec used by the ASF file format so I can't use my Camcorder anymore with Vista.
    Microsofts own (A)nother (S)illy (F)ormat will only playback on my Vista if I use VLC mediaplayer how mad is that!

Microsoft Moviemaker whilst it was a bit pants in XP it worked, alas the version shipped in Vista declines to load at all because my laptops video card doesn't meet the minimum specification for Moviemaker (So why bother to include it during the install if the system knew I didn't have enough resources).

Fortunately I have a spare 2.5 HDD with XP on it that I have to plug in and use so that I can access my old XP applications and load my mp3's and burn DVD's from my video camera!

I will stop there.. otherwise this will just turn into another anti Vista rant...

Me thinks what we need here on Edugeek is a new thread, where the insane, stupid, divorced, truly dedicated or just plain bored techies can post of what current educational software titles do actually work with Vista, and how they did it, or not as the case maybe!

Eg.
    Clicker 5 - Works if you have 2gig or Ram in the Vista box!
    (only joking)
    Jasc PSP V8 only works if forced into compatability mode and run as an administrator.... (as if)
    AB Tutor Control etc etc etc....

This kind of real world testing would be invaluable and a massive timesaver.
    Anybody think of a good format for the thread and the posting etiquette?
    Care to get it started?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

I start it here Net Support Manager doesn't work unless its V10, and I believe that is still in BETA for Vista?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread