+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Vista logon slooowwww in Technical; So I've been running vista on my work PC for a few weeks now and overall, I've been really pleased. ...
    Thank Post

Vista logon slooowwww

So I've been running vista on my work PC for a few weeks now and overall, I've been really pleased. However, I started the PC this morning as usual, and it booted up quite fast as it normally does. Entered my password for the domain to log on. Vista thought about it for a while, then the screen faded to black, and only a white mouse pointer remained.

About 8 mins later, and finally my desktop appeared. I seem to be on the network fine with all my documents, shares etc. available, and group policy seems to have run ok.

I have checked my network connection settings to make sure DNS is all configured correctly. Changed IP address just in case I had a conflict (we use static IPs here)

Bearing in mind that this is the first time I had had this problem, and I have not changed / installed anything since yesterday. I did check the system log but I can't see errors pertaining to this. There were a few the other day but these have not re-appeared today.

Anybody else experienced problems logging on to a domain?

Thank Post

Re: Vista logon slooowwww

Right, after lots of messing about logging on and off, I have established that I can log on as a different network user with no delays.

I told a lie before when I said that the mapped drives appeared in my computer:- they do not appear, although my documents are available.

And I have located this entry into the system log:

Log Name: System
    Source: NETLOGON
    Date: 14/02/2007 10:57:28
    Event ID: 5719
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: 101-0.NCTC
    Description:
    This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain NCTC due to the following:
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
    This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

ADDITIONAL INFO
    If this computer is a domain controller for the specified domain, it sets up the secure session to the primary domain controller emulator in the specified domain. Otherwise, this computer sets up the secure session to any domain controller in the specified domain.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="NETLOGON" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">5719</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-02-14T10:57:28.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>3540</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>101-0.NCTC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>NCTC</Data>
    <Data>%%1311</Data>
    <Binary>5E0000C0</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
    I can ping the domain controller which is also the logon server and I have had no complaints from anyone not being able to log on. I can also log on perfectly from another PC on the domain (although on XP) so I must presume that their isn't a problem with the DNS server.

Wish I had another vista PC to try that with my logon details.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

Profile ?

Thank Post

Thanks mattx.

You gave me a new lead, so I logged on as local administrator, renamed the local profile for my domain account, then logged off and back in to get it to re-create the profile again.

The logon took a few seconds as expected, but then none of the GPs were applied, and I got a message in the taskbar saying it could not create the profile properly and I was using a temporary profile.

So I logged off and on again - this time all GPs applied, but still the message about using a temp profile.

Restarted PC - still same problem.

So I logged in as local administrator, went to my renamed profile, and put it back to the original name. Then restored it from a previous version - few days before - then logged out.

This time when I logged in, it went straight in - all setttings as sghould be and GPs applied.

So mixed results really. I'm happy I am back to a working state with fast logon, but not happy that I don't know what caused initial problem, or why I could not simply re-create a new local profile after renaming the current one. Unanswered questions that I really don't have the time to investigate.

Maybe one day the answer will become clear and I will return to this post......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

You could try messing around with your NTUSER.DAT file.... [ My vista laptop does not logon to a domain so I can't really test it ] but you may have a corruption with that ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread