+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Vista Thread, Windows Vista follow-up likely [towards end of] 2009? in Technical; I am using ultimate edition on one of my desktops, and Business Edition on my Laptop and its fine, I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Re: Windows Vista follow-up likely [towards end of] 2009?

I am using ultimate edition on one of my desktops, and Business Edition on my Laptop and its fine, I am not having any issues. The Windows update works fine, so far I cannot din anything too major wrong with it.

Thank Post

Same as above, running business on my laptop and dual booting xp/ultimate on my desktop. Both running well.

About the security things that come up. Although it can be annoying, i think its doubled vista's security. It's pretty much like some of the linux distro's. e.g ubuntu. where they do not install as root.

Just nice to see that the security is improved from xp.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Not at all convinced that popping up a box saying "If you started this, continue" really adds much to safety. Most people using Windows won't have a clue why something like that pops up - they probably did just click on something but have no real way of knowing if that something is malicious or not.

I haven't tried removing the virus scanner and trying to run a virus to see if it makes any difference but I suspect it won't - I just hope I'm wrong :-)

As for things wrong there are too many to list here. Just today I've tried putting it on a brand new HP 7700. Installs OK; connect to Windows update and it finds necessary drivers. It then won't run the tool to check performance so although the machine could run Aero I can't because the machine thinks it's not good enough.

I'd also like to put the Windows 2003 admin tools on it but I can't (or, I can but not easily - it's a real mess to get them to work).

Biggest bugbear is installing software. We use group policies to install most software. Do this with 2000/XP and as programs install you see a message saying "Installing Office" etc. Do it with Vista and you just get "please wait" and the egg-timer replacement. If we put that out on machines I can see half the people resetting the machine because they assume it's broken! I can't believe that someone at MS thought it was a good idea to remove those status messages but obviously they did.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123