Poll: What do you prefer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, OEM vs Boxd Package in Technical; Hello geeks! I'm new here in forums... so happy to see too much information that can be learn from this ...

Thank Post

OEM vs Boxd Package

Hello geeks! I'm new here in forums... so happy to see too much information that can be learn from this site.

My concern is what is the difference between OEM and Full box package? Im aksing my supplier for Vista and he is giving me like a great price gap between the OEM and Box one...

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: OEM vs Boxd Package

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) licenses are intended to be sold to people who build computers; they shouldn't be sold without hardware. Some companies sell it anyway; some will sell it with (eg) a mouse or something. MS (and other companies) sell OEM software very cheaply - the idea is that any support costs will be carried by the company selling the computer etc rather than MS. In reality, most people get little support from the supplier who ever it is so that issue doesn't matter.

I think that MS have occasionally prosecuted people who are selling OEM licenses without the proper equipment but AFAIK end-users are not liable.

No-one yet knows what's going to happen with Vista - too soon to tell - but MS are trying to lock down license keys much more than before (so volume licensing completely changes; no using 1 key to install all machines and no activation checks) so OEM stuff could get more difficult.

Thank Post

I was in touch with CCL yesterday and was told that Microsoft have really clamped down on the sale of OEM versions.

The Head of ICT here's brother builds computers and he was saying he has to register each individual key on a website and has to spend £14.99 on each one getting a CD shipped from Norway of something.

Anyway, I'll be getting the Business version from Ramesys I guess for school wide, but I want the Ultimate version on my PC and a nice Retail box to go with it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The main difference are the licencing terms. OEM licences live and die with the PC/hardware they're bought with. Retail licences are transferable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

MS changed the OEM licencing rules a while ago so you no longer need to purchase hardware IF they are selling it in the sealed brown boxes they can get. I know CCL do as when the seals are intact (they come in 1, 3 and 30 piece boxes) and you buy it, you are then the System Builder. I wrote a great post on it on the CCL forums to help out there, as I am an MS partner with a key area on OEM stuff so I can get to the MS stuff easily so I quoted there documentation and did some images.

Ok heres my full info on the present OEM licencing situation, correct as of Jan 2007:

Vista OEM, so long as it is sold in the 1 (or 3 or 30) part boxes (as CCL are doing with XP and Office from the ones I have had) can be re-sold to system builders without hardware so long as all the original seals are still intact on the boxes. IF the seals are broken / not distibuted in the boxes then it has to go with a complete system and MUST be fully installed.

This quote is from the MS OEM Software Portal and relates to transfering of OEM Licenced Software:

The OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system even if the original machine is no longer in use. The end user license agreement (EULA) accepted by the customer before they use the software, states that the license may not be shared, transferred to or used concurrently on different computers.
    The only sort of "exception" to this is relating to refurbished computers:

Q. What is the difference between a refurbished PC and a used PC?
    A. A refurbished PC is a computer system that has had substantial hardware modifications that may require a new operating system license —because the modifications have essentially created a "new" PC.

Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user may maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard.

An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC. The replacement motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer's warranty.
    So I hope that clears a little bit of OEM confusion up or it may have caused you even more confusion!

Thank Post

If anyone has brought the Retail Boxed Version, can they please post some pics? I've got my version via a Technet download so it's burned DVDs for me! :P

Thank Post

The folsk at tom's hardware have mentioned a couple of times that microsoft aimed to be more lienient towards ethusiasts this time around with oem licensing. That a motherboard change would not neccesarily result in an end to the OEM license. It works on a points system using identifiers from alot more hardware components than XP. CPU, HDs, CDroms, expansion cards 1 point. GFX, mobo 2 points, Network ie MAC 3 points. So provided you get a mobo that you can specify the MAC in the BIOS which is all of them I've seen for the last few years. you should be able to make a mobo switch even with integrated LAN a 2 point change and keep your license. MS however did not specify how many points constituted a new PC and whether it was set for a license or whether they decayed over time. For instance mobo this year, GFX next year, change a dead nic 6 months later and bye bye license.

Regardless of this you can buy 2 OEMs for the fost of a retail copy so unless you really like to upgrade I think OEM is fine. Considering most upgraders doing a mobo processor change will keep the old components running as a second PC these days getting a new license and leaving the old license on that hardware makes sense. They are certainly tightening up on multiple installs with one key so staying legall wont be an option.

Thank Post

I was tempted by the Retail for freedom to upgrade my licensing terms and the ability to chose between 32-bit/64-bit on install but the prices are so extortionate that it's just not worth it. I bought Home Premium OEM for £70. If I'd gone for the retail version it would have been 3 times the price at around £210!
    It'll be interesting to see just how lenient MS are when users start upgrading and replacing failed hardware. I'd have to buy 3 copies of the OEM to come near the cost of the retail so it's a risk worth taking as far as I'm concerned.

Thank Post

now it is clear to me... though i prefer the retail one...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread