+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Vista Thread, How well does Vista upgrade from XP? in Technical; Originally Posted by AlexB I get our volume licensing from Insight. When I signed up I was sent every CD/DVD ...
    Thank Post

Re: How well does Vista upgrade from XP?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB
    I get our volume licensing from Insight. When I signed up I was sent every CD/DVD possible to buy a license for and 4 pretty cases for them to go in direct from Microsoft. This year when I renewed the agreement they sent the same stuff out again and throughout the year I receive new CD/DVDs as they release updates... Its a lot damn better than the more expensive licenses I bought from County b4 and the £25 per disc I wanted!
    Right, this is what I believed the Agreement was like, but it seems as a cost cutting exercise it is not.

Does anyone know how we'd go about moving our agreement to another company?

Thank Post

You can't

I am awaiting a refund from Ramesys for an incorrect Schools agreement, its only taken me 5 months to get this far!

When my cheque does arrive, I will be in the position of having no licenses, but due to the active (incorrect) schools agreement, I will not be able to start another agreement!

Ramesys got it wrong, microsoft made it worse.

Thank Post

DMcCoy, could you ellaborate a bit for me?

What do you mean it was incorrect? In what way and what effect did it have?

So it's not possible to just ring up Insight or someone else of the Microsoft list and get things from them instead? I'd have to pay it all again?

It's so confusing!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries

Schools Agreements and Select Agreements are specific to the reseller you get it from. The reseller often negotiates better deals (in the case of Ramesys and the SSAT) that you can take part in. Should you leave that agreement you do not take licences with you.

The difference between Select and Schools is that you can have more than one Select Agreement open.

Most schools that work outside of Schools Agreements or Select Agreements do so under the VL agreements (the revamped OPen Agreements) which allow you to buy what you want and when you want ... it is from these agreements that you get access to a download site for images. If you have a Select Agreement that is limited to your school then you are also likely to have a download site of your own. If you are part of a Select Agreement that is part of a cluster / consortia / LA then the individual school is unlikely to have access to a download site and must purchase media, either original MS media or rebranded by the reseller.

There is a lot more stuff that goes into it, but that is a shortend version ... part of the issue of Vista has been how authentication is controlled for resellers that have schools in Select Agreements consisting of tens or hundereds of schools ... and that appears to be sorted now.

It is has been very easy for things to go wrong ... and for licences to be abused. A number of companies are tightening things up now and in some cases it leaves some schools high and dry but others have found things easier.

Because Schools Agreement is an annual cost you can drop it from one supplier and take it up with another ... but the admin of this is difficult.

Does this make anything a bit clearer?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    VLK media is usually an additional cost, with a schools agreement you get the current set of discs when it starts but thats all (you do get to download the ISO images from MS licensing site though :P).
    We have a schools agreement and get a constant stream of discs sent to us. We received Vista on DVD and CD this month, and Office 2007 and a bunch of other stuff.

Thank Post

Yes GrumbleDook that makes it a bit clearer, thankyou.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    DMcCoy, could you ellaborate a bit for me?

What do you mean it was incorrect? In what way and what effect did it have?

So it's not possible to just ring up Insight or someone else of the Microsoft list and get things from them instead? I'd have to pay it all again?

It's so confusing!
    You can change the agreement to whoever you want when it expires.

I guess it might be possible to move it while its running, but it will probably kill you trying to get it done!

I used to do it though Misco, and everything was fine. This year I changed to Ramesys, I sent the order (with part codes) and paid (as the agreement wouldn't become active for two months). When the agreement started the products on it were wrong and not the ones I ordered (and paid for!).

Since September I have been fighting with Ramesys and Microsoft to get the situation resolved, it seems you can't alter the items on a schools agreement once it has started. You might be able to add additional ones, but as it was my primary desktop that was wrong, and my servers, and exchange - and I was now 4 months into trying to get it fixed, I gave up. I told Ramesys to refund me (hopefully this will appear soon!).

Now it gets even more fun

When I get my refund, technically I will have not purchased any licenses, but I will have a running schools agreement according to Microsofts Network operations Center. This means that I will be unable to order another agreement (with correct licenses this time I hope) until the last has cleared. Do you notice the slight problem with that? Yes, I will have no licenses!

Ramesys have been too difficult to contact and too slow in trying to fix a mistake (that I did not make - original order from the school is correct). However, Microsoft have made it almost impossible to correct a schools agreement once it is underway, so I can't blame Ramesys completely.

What effect? 5 Months of Hell and spending my life trying to get through to people who might be able to help, and not getting very far.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12