+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Vista Licenses. in Technical; Currently with Windows XP we have a Volume License edition which requires no activation or activation server. So for example ...
    Thank Post

Vista Licenses.

Currently with Windows XP we have a Volume License edition which requires no activation or activation server.

So for example we buy 30 new laptops with Windows XP Pro, we wipe them and use our version of XP Pro, because the version they come with is not compatable with RIS. We do not buy new licenses because they come with XP Pro Licenses

Now how does this work in Vista? If i read correctly EVERY version has to be activated, either normally, or with an internal Activation server.

So if this is the case, with our new laptops they are coming licensed for Vista (free upgrade). Can i still just wipe them and put our volume license vista on? I am thinking i cannot because our Activation Server internal will have to have X amount of licences?

Does anybody undertstand what i'm saying :?:

Thank Post

Re: Vista Licenses.

I understand what you're saying, but to be honest, except explaining what/how the activation works, I haven't found how schools agreements etc of volume licensing will work.

It does appear that every instance of vista needs a form of activation.

Hense why we're giving it 12-18months + until we look at it.

Chris

Thank Post

Grumbledook might have an idea... he is working with MS as an 'early adopter' to see how things go.

If he doesn't know (or MS won't let him tell you), he may have a contact at MS for you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am waiting for some documentation about WDS and activation at the moment ... from conversations I have had with some MS partners you either activate each machine or have an activation key server ... I am hoping to have a 'get started' guide ready for BETT ...

Check out the Technet Webcasts over the next month for more information ... and don't forget that there are Technet webcasts available via iTunes now too ...

As soon as I have any decent info I will pass it on.

Thank Post

It's really frustrating how long this is all taking
    I've had the DVD for a fortnight now but cannot send it out to a room as a trial. :x
    Ramesys have certainly dragged their heels every step of the way, but none of the regular Microsoft licensing people seem to have any training in Windows Vista licensing and treat you like some random drunk that's called them up and is talking gibberish - that's MS licensing in Britain, Holland and America.

Thank Post

no wonder they think you're drunk if you're phoning holland!

Only joking, i can only say it's either gonna be a hit or miss, time will tell how this will all work out.

Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 923 Posts

Must admit I asked Ramesys again and they said they should have Office 2007 for now and looking at Jan / Feb for Vista, its getting to be a piss take really!

Can someone say why they are having difficulties! My Select Agreement I hold with Insight for a business licence has got Vista, and I also have it from Insight for Education via Select again, which is how I licence via the SSAT but just via ramesys, if everyone else has it, including other education licences someones messing up somewhere!

What makes the SSAT via Ramesys so different! Fine its probably a very large account but its not as if Ramesys have anything to do appart from flog us the disks at £20 a throw! I had one school that was really really keen to get on to it, they spent a lot of money on new kit and the licences to go with it all with SA ready for Vista and now were dragging our heels waiting for a media set so I can start testing and evaluating and working out what we are going to have to bin, replace, upgrade etc...

Thank Post

Ramesys have pi**ed me off 100% in the last year. I know of someone who ordered Symanec AV 10 from them and it took... *drum role*... 6 MONTHS from order to receiving the key. So much about them recently has made me feel that they are going under.

Thank Post

Must admit there has been a few issues recently with them for other licences where I have gone AAAAARGHH!!!!!! Symantec stuff being one of them! Lets see what happens!

Thank Post

Even though I am in London our Ramesys contacts are in Birmingham. We spent almost a full day trying to call them last week. In the end we tried the Nottingham office and were told "Yeah, we've been trying to reach them all day too - we think that they must not be answering the phones today" 8O

Nice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries

Being honest ... Ramesys and Symantec .. not a good combination. The communication between the two has always been difficult in my experience.

I have my Office 2007 media now ... and I am working from and updated RC2 disc for the early rollout. I am just waiting for info about getting the .admx/.adml stuff sorted so I don't have to make major changes to the existing domain (ie ... getting longhorn server running).

I suppose I can understand Ramesys being slow sending stuff out ... if I can't get info about "this is how you roll out Vista" the last thing they will want to do is send out software that is just going to cause problems for schools ... we are pretty ok as we would run things on test networks first (honest) ... but imagine a primary school with a part-time techie from the LA that hands him/her the media and says "we have just bought 20 copies ... install it while you are here today" ...

Has anyone else heard if Ramesys have got anyone that can give advice on rolling Vista out, the last person I spoke with said that they couldn't really yet.

Thank Post

My Veritas set should arrive this week, i've been waiting for them to get it in since 11d was launched! GRRRR! Blasted Auditors are on my back weekly about it!

Still waiting for Office 2007 from them as well, should be with Veritas I hope!

I am not wanting Ramesys to tell me how to do it with Vista, they couldn't organise a party in a pub, thats what I get paid to do, I am paid to test, work out and support but they are stopping me doing this at present. There is only so far I can go with my Ultimate Edition which I have, but I want to put the final volume Business Edition on my other machine and then get working and then I can work this out for myself. .

At this rate I am going to be able to get new PCs off the shelf with Vista on quicker than I can with Ramesys. I have the test bed network ready to rock and roll, its identical to the site in that the GPOs, etc are the same as they are the same machines so it allows me to test very well, but someones peeing around here and its getting on my nerves! My fuse is very short already and a key selling point for me who wants to get a better job is if I can say, show and prove I have done a sucessful Vista Migration, I can sell that to places and hope they like it as well and think hmmm that could be useful, but at this rate I will be retired before I get a volume set for it.

Thank Post

Media? What's that then???
    I havent had any MVLS/Technet media since the initial shipment when we subscribed in July...
    Hsve to download everything from either MVLS or Technet..

Running Vista Bus. on my Tablet PC. only problems so far with with the rotation utility and bluetooth drivers from Toshiba don't like Vista at present..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

According to a survey of 240 IT Directors and Helpdesk Managers of large UK and International organizations only 5% claimed they would seek to deploy Windows Vista in 2007.
    http://www.axiossystems.com/six/en/c...detail.php/194

From reading this post I can see why. Will definitely be waiting for SP1...or 2 for this.

Thank Post

Who cares what large corporations would do - they are in a totally different situation. There is no such thing as the "Schools Agreement" for them - so upgrading to Vista would have enormous cost implications.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast