+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Vista Thread, Vista Licenses. in Technical; we bought XP licenses outright, so with hardware costs we also have enormous cost implications whereas we can run XP ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Vista Licenses.

we bought XP licenses outright, so with hardware costs we also have enormous cost implications whereas we can run XP until such a time when vista offers an advantage to education, at the moment I don't see that it does.

I just don't see why anyone is rushing into this, wait until there are sufficient howto's/walkthroughs and MS have ironed out some of the bugs with a service pack.

Thank Post

I agree with CyberNerd,

I simplycannot see any advantage of using vista or longhorn server (its not even out until 07/08 - for the sake of testing let hope its out on 08 than in07!) because the windows server 2003 / XP pro combination is very good and its stable and both of these products have matured to a SP2 level.

Investing brain time and also licensing and money on vista is just waste of time and money in my opinion. MS will not drop support for windows server 2003 or XP for some time now esp. Vista server will be out in 07/08 as i said ealier.

Seems to me that people like to play around and jump to the latest system without actually justifying the reasons. Its all great having on your home machine/test networ etc. but for god sake wait fro the proper documentation and deployment guides!!

Ash.

Thank Post

Just installed vista over the network, all went OK. I'm confused as to why it never asked for a CD key or any activation.

As for reasons for running Vista? Well we have just had 8 new PC's for a special office. Using that as my Vista test lab, the PC running vista is a lot faster and smoother than the 7 PC's Windows XP. I've gotta buy Windows Licenses for them so why not buy Vista ones and use Vista as its faster.

So far all the software i have tried works fine, they are pusing out MSI's with group policy from Server 2003 fine, its smooth, fast and looks nice.

Any PC's (apart from new ones) will continue to run Windows XP. Just any new hardware i want to put Vista on. If all is OK in this small suite its going on 70 new pc's i'm getting in the summer.

Thank Post

Quakers, i wondered this as well until I tried to activate it
    If you just click "Activate Windows Now" it wont play ball.. however, if you click "Change Product Key" then enter your MAK/KMS key it will activate automatically....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

the PC running vista is a lot faster and smoother than the 7 PC's Windows XP
    hey Quackers, you just broke the EULA already lol.

You may conduct internal benchmark testing of the .NET Framework component of the OS Components (".NET Component"). You may disclose the results of any benchmark test of the .NET Component, provided that you comply with the following terms: (1) you must disclose all the information necessary for replication of the tests, including complete and accurate details of your benchmark testing methodology, the test scripts/cases, tuning parameters applied, hardware and software platforms tested, the name and version number of any third-party testing tool used to conduct the testing, and complete source code for the benchmark suite/harness that is developed by or for you and used to test both the .NET Component and the competing implementation(s); (2) you must disclose the date(s) that you conducted the benchmark tests, along with specific version information for all Microsoft software products tested, including the .NET Component; (3) your benchmark testing was performed using all performance tuning and best practice guidance set forth in the product documentation and/or on Microsoft's support Web sites, and uses the latest updates, patches, and fixes available for the .NET Component and the relevant Microsoft operating system; (4) it shall be sufficient if you make the disclosures provided for above at a publicly available location such as a Web site, so long as every public disclosure of the results of your benchmark test expressly identifies the public site containing all required disclosures; and (5) nothing in this provision shall be deemed to waive any other right that you may have to conduct benchmark testing. The foregoing obligations shall not apply to your disclosure of the results of any customized benchmark test of the .NET Component, whereby such disclosure is made under confidentiality in conjunction with a bid request by a prospective customer, such customer's application(s) are specifically tested and the results are only disclosed to such specific customer. Notwithstanding any other agreement you may have with Microsoft, if you disclose such benchmark test results, Microsoft shall have the right to disclose the results of benchmark tests it conducts of your products that compete with the .NET Component, provided it complies with the same conditions above.
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms973265.aspx
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10...eula_analysis/

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

You can install Vista on machines in 30 day "eval" mode as it were without a serial number and in any version, but before it will activate you have to put your Key in it and then activate, and if you've put the wrong version of Windows on you got trouble boss.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Also, with this KMS, some of the comment are getting excitied about it, but they clearly haven't read the MS Activation whitepaper as they should know that KMS requires 25 Vista Workstations to be live on the system as a minimum before it will do anything at all, I am assuming that they have not managed to break that bit out of it, so its good for businesses to steal it but useless for the home user.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

its good for businesses to steal it but useless for the home user.
    See this thread.

Thank Post

What does this mean:

1. STORAGE. You may store one copy of the software on a storage device, such as a network server. You may use that copy to install the software on any other device to which a license has been assigned.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'd guess it means what it says! You can copy the CD onto a server and use that copy to install your workstations.

It had never occurred to me to check that this was allowable - we buy most of our student machines without optical drives so installing would be a bit difficult if you couldn't put it on a server!

Thank Post

Ah right I see.

Well that's taken from the Ultimate Version license, I didn't look at the Business versions but I know that is not allowed with Home versions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12