Poll: Ubuntu Linux Vs Windows Vista - Which is better?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Windows Vista or Ubuntu Linux? in Technical; How many here run their networks entirely with Linux and no MS what so ever? If you think Linux will ...
    Thank Post

Re: Windows Vista or Ubuntu Linux?

How many here run their networks entirely with Linux and no MS what so ever?

If you think Linux will do the job just as well install it on everything on your network and see how you go.

Then see how the kids manage in the real world aftwards.

We try to make sure that the kids here use products that are used commercially in the real world for example we have a suite om MACs in media used for DTP running the latest version of Quark, the reason? because most papers and publishing companies use MAC's.

Thats why we don't use Linux here

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

The other thing that bugs me about this thread (and it is so major it may be a rant on its own) is that most people are talking about either/or ... why not have both? If the users have the ability to learn and adapt it shouldn't matter what you put in front of them ... they will get used to it very quickly and have the ability to make up their own minds.

My last place used to do this with Windows and MacOS ... using Microsoft Office and Appleworks ... a few different apps for HTML stuff ... grahpics packages ... it worked a treat. It didn't matter what you threw at the kids or staff they would adapt.

Strangely enough this is a school consistantly in the top 10 state schools ...

I know it means more to support ... and I know it means more for us to get our heads around ... but it also creates (eventually) a group of users that are more likely to work out problems for themselves, a bunch of staff that accept that systems change and they have to just accept it and get on with things ... and it means you can introduce things that students might not get to see ... giving them more choice when they go out into the real world!!!!!

Can anyone see a problem with this?

Again ... I redirect people to the idea of the thread ... what will each of the above OSes actually do for you?

Thank Post

Vista will actually do nothing for me at the moment tbh, I will not be upgrading my machines from xp, on the same token I will not be installing any flavour of Linux because I really do not see any advantage in doing so.

The money arguement does not hold water for me personally as I have a large budget every year so I am not on a shoestring.

At this moment in time my decision is to stay with the very stable Windows XP as neither Linux or Vista have anything to offer over xp.

Thank Post

As I said eariler, I have every faith in students being able to adapt to anything we put in front of them - that has never been a concern of mine.

But to answer the question to the ideal of the thread. Vista will give me an easy upgrade path when looking at cost, training and technical ease.

The only downside is going to be the compaitiblity of software in the early stages. And what I will probably end up doing is naturally migrating as new boxes arrive with Vista on board until vista is the majority then I shall bring the stragglers on board. So two years and I will probably have migrated the whole site.

But I ask you - where is the fun in that as an answer, unless I can bait linux and Mac users I might as well go back to winding up teachers!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    ... why not have both? <snip>
    Yes, why not. It's what I do at home - I have the choice - I will dip into either to perform a specific task. Sounds great - I'd love to do that at school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Especially for the naysayers. Here's a case study of a UK high school using a 100% Linux solution.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/...gh_school.html

Where's Orwell High School on the league tables I wonder?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's a vicious cycle. Most educational software developers make software that runs exclusively on Windows, therefore if schools want to use these they have little choice than to run Windows.

Then there's the MIS systems that, again, only run on Windows; and not forgetting Microsoft sponsorship for schools.

Until all software, resources and services that schools rely on run on other platforms other than Windows, realistically there's not much that can be done on the front end. Running back-end services such as web, email and file serving on alternative platforms makes sense though.

Thank Post

Its the "free as in lunch or free as in gratis" argument always when it comes to windows and Linux.

A vista upgrade will cost us all a fortune in hard cash but in time? I think I can deploy Vista on my network in a tiny proportion of the time it would take me to go to linux. In fact I can't even picture getting a windows to Linux switch done in the 2 month summer break.

Now of course we then have the argument that "With all that money you save you can employ more staff". Take a look at your schools wage bill some time. 3.2million of our 3.7million budget is wages. Linux qualified IT personel cost more because there are less of them. I honestly believe anyone that could really impliment and maintain a secure Linux education network is out of the budget range of a school. Maybe yours is different.

I will continue to develope my Linux skills while I work here by implimenting new backend projects on it. I may even get brave and introduce some front end Linux desktops at some point recycling old hardware for internet kiosks for example. With my skills a unified logon infrastructure with centralised file storage is just not a realistic goal while supporting the existing windows network.

On a single desktop for office tasks and internet Linux is there now I believe it can absolutely compete. But in our workd of a school network Linux is a long way from the desktop and so it will be Vista in 3-5 years time for me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Linux boxes can replace back end server tasks quite happily. You can do this in a piecemeal fashion. So you could start with DHCP and DNS. Then do File and Printing. Then maybe do a mail or web server or even a web proxy. If you're coming from a Windows admin background I think this is definatly the way to go (and something I'm increasingly seeing on these forums).

Thank Post

I'm thinking of playing with a Linux filtering box, when I have time!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Especially for the naysayers. Here's a case study of a UK high school using a 100% Linux solution.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/...gh_school.html

Where's Orwell High School on the league tables I wonder?
    Google pointed me to this link which has their ranking
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l/935_4038.stm

I very much doubt that their ranking has anything to do with what o/s they use.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well I know that, but there was an argument put forth eariler in the thread that it might detract from pupils learning.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Well I know that, but there was an argument put forth eariler in the thread that it might detract from pupils learning.

I think the point was Geoff that in the REAL world they may suffer.

Can you google up a link that proves that using freeware programs does not lead to problems getting a job in the commercial market place, say at a solicitors who use MS Office?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yep, a post by Ric has some sensible reasoning about OpenOffice vs MS Office.

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...ic&p=7940#7940

Thank Post

That is nowhere near what I asked for but hey ho.

1. All government computers will have to support the Open Doucment Standard in the near future - OpenOffice, StarOffice, WordPerfect... all support this but MS Office does not.

Link please stating proof not just hearsay.

2. The chances are that the kids will not be using the version of Office that you have in School when they finally get a job. The kids in year 7 have at least 5 years before hitting the job market and MS Office 2006 is to be released next year so what you've got now is going to be out of date!

And open office or star will not be updated over the next 5 years? Thats such a rubbish and flawed reply.

3. The curriculum does not teach the kids how to use MS Office - it teaches them how to use IT effectively (i.e. transferable skills).

The curriculum is supposed to teach transferable skills but in practice it does not all it does is teach kids how to use certain packages. People will ALWAYS use what is familiar to them.

4. Business is slowly moving away from MS Office as alternatives become a cost effective and viable alternative.

Wheres the proof for that statement or again is that just hearsay?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast