Poll: Ubuntu Linux Vs Windows Vista - Which is better?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Windows Vista or Ubuntu Linux? in Technical; Can anyone point me to the killer app for Vista or Ubuntu For Ubuntu, I'd have to say the 'killer' ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Windows Vista or Ubuntu Linux?

Can anyone point me to the killer app for Vista or Ubuntu
    For Ubuntu, I'd have to say the 'killer' app seems to be when it's configured as a LAMP server. That seems to be the reason most people are installing Linux boxen.

As for Vista, there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon that requires it at the moment. Microsoft might force an upgrade at some point though by requiring Vista in newer releases of it's software. eg, I think that Halo 3 will require Vista. The simple fact it'll be bundled with new PCs will ensure there's a decent market share for Vista after 6/12 months.

Thank Post

I think one of the big features in XP is the built in parental controls.

I don't know if anyones looked at them, but you can really stop your young kids doing what you don't want them to. Stopping IMing or logging chats, stopping games over whatever ELSPA/BBFC ratings from running etc.

I also like the breadcrumb bar.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Norphy
    Has to be Linux for numerous reasons :
    * no viruses, spyware, etc (= lower TCO)
    A decent virus scanner (which should be run on any computer irrespective of the OS) will help you out there. And tbh, spyware is a PEBKAC thing. If you're careful and pay attention to what you download you won't get infected. Make sure that your users run as suitably restricted users and make sure they don't have full access to the hard drive and OS and you will notice that your spyware problems mysteriously disappear.
    But why should we need virus scanners at all? Remember viruses exist to exploit holes in the O/S. Without holes there would be no viruses. The programmers at Microsoft work hard to patch these holes but have yet to suceed. Recent press shows that they have given up - aren't Microsoft moving into the anti-virus market? If they are, the cynic in me spots a nice marketting oportunity. Remember companies like Microsoft exist not for the benefit of users but to benefit the shareholders. The community lead initiative of Linux is there for us users.

Of the two choices given I'd choose Ubuntu, however I run Fedora Core at home. FC6 is very pretty with all the bells and whistles on. Being a performance freak, I've switched them off. For a laptop environment it's hard to go past the MacBook - M$ like GUI with BSD Unix underneath, surely the best of both worlds. Heck, you can even get MSOffice for it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    I also like the breadcrumb bar.
    Various Linux file managers have had that luxury for years.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

But why should we need virus scanners at all?
    Because although there are very few Linux viruses there are plenty for Windows. It's perfectly possible for a Linux machine to unwittingly pass on infected data to a Windows machine. In a school situation this is usually via Samba shares or Email. So while it's true you do not need a virus scanner to protect yourself, you do need one to protect those around you who are not fortunate enough to be using a system resistant to viruses like Linux or MacOS X.

Thank Post

unixman - Virus's don't just attack an OS, they can attack any file but most writers choose to hit Windows that's all.

It's like when everyone touted Firefox as being much more secure than IE but then when virus writers actually started attacking Firefox it was too found to have stupid flaws.

Thank Post

But why should we need virus scanners at all? Remember viruses exist to exploit holes in the O/S. Without holes there would be no viruses. The programmers at Microsoft work hard to patch these holes but have yet to suceed. Recent press shows that they have given up - aren't Microsoft moving into the anti-virus market? If they are, the cynic in me spots a nice marketting oportunity. Remember companies like Microsoft exist not for the benefit of users but to benefit the shareholders. The community lead initiative of Linux is there for us users.
    People will still choose to install antivirus, antispyware software even if all the security holes in operating systems were finally plugged (although unlikely as new patches and the closing of security holes can often open newer ones - and the cycle goes on) I'm not just talking about Windows OS'es here, as Linux can be just as prone to security problems.

I think it's cyber-terrorism man! The hackers, virus and spyware culprits have instilled fear and terror in our hearts!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Virus's don't just attack an OS, they can attack any file but most writers choose to hit Windows that's all.
    Yes, that's correct. However, if there was ever a prevelant virus for Linux the only thing it would be able to attack are files in your /home (which presumably you've backed up). By default the Linux security model is to give you minimal user priverledges.

On a standard XP install the default is reversed. You are automatically setup with full admin access and therefore any virus has free run of the system as well as your user data. Obviously in a school domain enviroment this situation isn't as true though.

It's like when everyone touted Firefox as being much more secure than IE but then when virus writers actually started attacking Firefox it was too found to have stupid flaws.
    This is a little different. Yes there are security flaws in Firefox. Just like any software. However the notable difference between IE6 (IIE7 works a little differently) and Firefox is that IE6 has components that work under SYSTEM priverleges. With Firefox, everything has the same level access as your user account.

So basically when something blows a hole in IE6, if done correctly, it can 'priverlege escalate' to SYSTEM level priverleges. Thereby infecting the whole system. Under firefox this technique doesn't work most of the time. As firefox doesn't have any more priverleges than the user who ran it.

Microsoft has taken some measures with IE7 to fix this design flaw. Time will tell if they did a good job. Also you can avoid a lot of these priverlege escilation vunerabilities by just disabling ActiveX.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

[/quote]It's like when everyone touted Firefox as being much more secure than IE but then when virus writers actually started attacking Firefox it was too found to have stupid flaws.[/quote]

If your referring to the javascript 'flaw' it was a hoax
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2023762,00.asp

AFIK the worst vulnerability on firefox causes a browser crash

as for killer apps - I stilll say its the collection of applications and their integration into the OS that is the killer app.
    Sure Windows can do all this - but it requires licensing,cals, and different versions and lots of money - we get it easy with all this cost price educational, but if I decide I want to test serverX at home my choice is pay for windows server, break teh law, or use ubuntu. Vista cannot be an exchange server but my desktop can do all these things so why would I change?

Thank Post

The thing I love about linux.........

A server with this setup...

No Monitor,
    No Keyboard,
    No mouse,

running sshd with screen.

And lets face it cmd.exe is no substitute for bash.

Thank Post

I think the point everyone is missing here is about using the right tool for the right job.

For example, if I needed a web server, I would build one using Linux but if I was doing an in-place upgrace of a windows 2000 domain controller I would use windows 2003.

The argument of which one is better should be about which is the more appropriate solution to meet the specific requirements.

For desktop PC’s Linux is always going to struggle to attract new users in an M$ dominated market if cost alone was the issue, M$ would by now have lost their grasp as the dominant desktop OS and this is clearly not the case.

M$ also still has huge piracy issue, 12.4% of PC’s running Windows XP are pirate copies in the UK.

So when some says “I use Linux because it’s free” ask yourself how many Windows XP users are actually doing the same only illegally!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by budgester
    And lets face it cmd.exe is no substitute for bash.
    Quite right. You can't even use the keyboard to paste from the clipboard.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts

Vistuntu!!! best of both worlds (wish) never happen but would ere on the Ubuntu for cost factor and reliability, Vista for compatibility with third party software. Each has it's good side as equally as bad sides (doubt if Webman will agree) but he knows my thinking on the matter.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by djm968
    M$ also still has huge piracy issue, 12.4% of PC’s running Windows XP are pirate copies in the UK.

So when some says “I use Linux because it’s free” ask yourself how many Windows XP users are actually doing the same only illegally!
    This is surely a short coming of the english language free as in cost, or free as in freedom. Libre or Gratis.

Granted there are not many people who want to start hacking on code, but at least you have the option if you want to or you can pay someone to add a feature or fix a bug if your OS is free.

I work with both Windows and Linux (have worked with a multitude of other OS's as well in my career) and the main bulk of knowledge that is still relevant is the *nix stuff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Vistuntu!!! best of both worlds (wish) never happen but would ere on the Ubuntu for cost factor and reliability, Vista for compatibility with third party software. Each has it's good side as equally as bad sides (doubt if Webman will agree) but he knows my thinking on the matter.
    Might eventually see light of day due to this Microsoft/Novell SELS deal.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...tnovell08.html

Microsoft will spend $34 million on a sales force and a total of $60 million on marketing for the combined Windows and Linux offering.
    I also find it amusing a large chunk of change from Windows licenses are going into Novells pockets and thus back into Linux development.

Microsoft Corp. will pay out a grand total of $442 million under patent and business deals that it announced last week with Linux vendor Novell Inc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread