Poll: Ubuntu Linux Vs Windows Vista - Which is better?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Windows Vista or Ubuntu Linux? in Technical; The main advantage over linux for me is the cost and no license worries. The disadvantage is difficultly of use ...

Thank Post

Re: Windows Vista or Ubuntu Linux?

The main advantage over linux for me is the cost and no license worries. The disadvantage is difficultly of use (because i'm so used to windows).

The main disadvantage of windows (for me) is viruses. For some reason, everyone I know left right and center is calling me and asking me to remove viruses off their windows machine. I gave the worst culprit linux and there have been no problems since.

At one point (due to the way I was working) I had to connect a default/clean installation of windows XP directly to the net... before I even got a chance to open IE, I was hit with a virus and they started coming in so fast that I ended up having to do a clean re-install again. I think the firewall I had at the time had problems installing, so the only option I had was to connect to the net and try and do updates very quickly. Didn't have much luck.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ah yes, that's right... Linux is more secure by design than Windows

Thank Post

By design or that there are millions more people trying to hack Windows than Linux?

Anyways off home now so will look again tomorrow

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Only because Windows makes it so easy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've gotta vote Vista - and only because of it's inheritance.

Familiarity is the big issue to me. I've played a lot with different Linux distros but still, after all this time, It still gives me a headache trying to acomplish something I know how to do easily in Windows.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

Familiarity is the big issue to me. I've played a lot with different Linux distros but still, after all this time, It still gives me a headache trying to acomplish something I know how to do easily in Windows.
    This was one of the reasons I voted Ubuntu, I find navigating a simple documented text file far easier than some of the undocumented windows registry settings !

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts

Any chance I can vote mac os x cos its well in between and I prefer it

Thank Post

If I have to vote either/or with no option for OS X then I would have to vote Ubuntu. Vista is OK. Just OK. It isn't anything special, and not for the price they want to charge for it in any case.

Ubuntu is great- it's a solid OS that lets me do most things I want. And yet, even though I chose Ubuntu I agree with another post that said Windows makes things so much easier because they are familiar. And this is the problem I have with Linux- there are *so many* ways of doing things (and of doing them wrong) that it puts people off.

More power to Ubuntu then!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Disease
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    We have 2 AMD64 servers here running Ubuntu Server (AMD64). Both are LAMP servers. One runs http://vle.carrhill.lancs.sch.uk and it's uptime is currently 125 days.

Cool, I have 13 Windows 2003 servers running all kinds of things, current uptime for all 250+ days .
    372 days today for our 10 Linux servers (LTSP).

Has to be Linux for numerous reasons :
    * no viruses, spyware, etc (= lower TCO)
    * freewill and determinism
    * stability - I can't remember the last time one of our Linux boxes crashed
    * I'm in total control
    * runs out of the box and does something useful!
    * bloody easy to configure (what is this "registry" crap?)
    * don't have to reboot just because I add or remove software
    * does as it's told (an M$ laptop refused to load SP2 the other day, due to it running on battery power - what crap is that?),
    * I can run Linux on anything from my 386 laptop to Blue Gene/L - if I could afford to own it :-)
    * very easy to troubleshoot - nothing is hidden
    * not tied into the gui - who needs a gui anyway?
    * very closely related to Unix, which has been around forever - stuff I learned 15 years ago on Unix is still useful on Linux; most of the things that I learned about Windows 3.11 are completely inapplicable to XP/W2K etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Has to be Linux for numerous reasons :
    * no viruses, spyware, etc (= lower TCO)
    A decent virus scanner (which should be run on any computer irrespective of the OS) will help you out there. And tbh, spyware is a PEBKAC thing. If you're careful and pay attention to what you download you won't get infected. Make sure that your users run as suitably restricted users and make sure they don't have full access to the hard drive and OS and you will notice that your spyware problems mysteriously disappear.

* freewill and determinism
    I choose to run Windows. Does that mean I have no free will? I chose to run the OS which will run my software and get the job done. It's not free and I can't change the source but meh, who cares?

* stability - I can't remember the last time one of our Linux boxes crashed
    I can't remember the last time one of my Windows servers crashed either. Generally speaking, I find that XP Pro crashes are due to either dodgy hardware or to crap software.

* runs out of the box and does something useful!
    A selection of useful out of the box Windows Server features:

DNS
    DHCP
    Directory service
    Web Server
    SMTP/POP3 Server
    File/Print Server
    Software router
    Terminal Server
    Certificate Server

A selection of useful, out of the box Windows XP features:

Internet browser
    Email client
    Extremely Basic word processor. Admittedly, this it is no OpenOffice but it is enough to type a letter to the editor on
    Media player
    IM client

Are these things that Linux doesn't have? Of course not. Are they useful? I'd say so.

* bloody easy to configure (what is this "registry" crap?)
    Why, the registry is a central repository made available for programs to store all of their settings in. The alternative is a smorgasboard of ini files dotted all over your computer for you to sit there struggling to find the one that tweaks feature "X". Instead, you spend hours searching through the registry to tweak that feature instead. Neither solution is any better than the other imo.

* don't have to reboot just because I add or remove software
    Granted, this is annoying. Generally speaking though, restarts are only necessary for OS updates and graphics card drivers. I find that most programs will work without a restart even if they request one. That said, MS are cutting down the amount of restarts required in Vista and LH Server

* does as it's told (an M$ laptop refused to load SP2 the other day, due to it running on battery power - what crap is that?),
    Sounds sensible to me, the last thing you want to happen is for the battery to run out half way through the update.

* I can run Linux on anything from my 386 laptop to Blue Gene/L - if I could afford to own it :-)
    I can run Windows on a 386 laptop too. It would be an old version of Windows admittedly but then you try to run the latest all singing, all dancing version of Linux on a 386. Good luck with that.

Admittedly, there aren't any versions of Windows available for big mainframe or massive clusters of computers but that said, it is probably safe to assume that a significant amount of them run a commercial variant of Unix like AIX or something else like VMS. Support is everything when you're running a system that size, you're unlikley to get particually helpful responses from the local Linux newsgroup if you have an issue with a $50million supercomputer

* very easy to troubleshoot - nothing is hidden
    Things are only hidden if you don't know where to look for them

* not tied into the gui - who needs a gui anyway?
    No-one of course. I like the old DOS versions of Wordperfect and Lotus 123. I like browsing the internet with the Lynx browser and really really hate working on graphics files. GUIs are useless

* very closely related to Unix, which has been around forever - stuff I learned 15 years ago on Unix is still useful on Linux; most of the things that I learned about Windows 3.11 are completely inapplicable to XP/W2K etc.
    True in terms of the GUI but the command line commands aren't that different. The batch file scripting I learnt on MS-DOS 6 is still quite useful.

I don't deny that there are some very compelling reasons to run Linux over Windows. However, I don't think that you have listed any there.

Coming vaguely back on topic, I have to question the sanity of anyone who wants to buy Vista Ultimate Edition for the home. I'd also have to commit anyone who buys it in a retail package to the loony bin :P Aside from possibly Remote Desktop support and dual socket support, I'd have thought that Home Premium would be enough for almost anyone.

Thank Post

Good points Norphy, I have to admit.

Hey- if life is a lemon, suck it and see before asking for a refund ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Like Gecko and Kingswood I am a Mac OSX person ... but I will use whatever is appropriate for the job. Having been playing with Vista on my Mac for a week or so now I don't have any reason to use it instead of XP Pro ... at the moment.

I know there will be software out there that will be improved by running on Vista ... and I know that I am likey to find that handy. In the meantime I don't *need* Vista ... but if I was given it I would not turn it down.

Ubuntu? Had a play ... then again, I played with SuSE and Red Hat when they were touted as 'the next big thing' ... and I still prefer the comfort of FreeBSD and Solaris 2.6 ... I can't find anything major that I can't get elsewhere ...

Whenever something new arrive in the computing world people always used to ask 'where is the killer app?' For most the beginning was the idea of spreadsheets ... then there was the browser and email client ... and now it is iTunes / iPods ...

Can anyone point me to the killer app for Vista or Ubuntu?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Can anyone point me to the killer app for Vista or Ubuntu?
    I can only point to Vista's - Updated Solitaire!

Thank Post

Hehe..Vista Chess is driving me nuts, I managed to beat it on level 1-5, but level 6 has beaten me 67 times now

Thank Post

‚ÄúI vote Vista, because Linux is crap, seeing as Windows holds over 80% market share they can't all be wrong.‚ÄĚ
    When ever I see logic like that I cannot but help think of TV soaps like East enders and Neighbours. Millions watch those so by the same logic you would think they cannot all be wrong and it’s worth watching.

Saying that I Vote for Vista. Ubuntu Linux does have its place though. We use both Win 2003 server and Ubuntu Linux.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast