+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Boot up error in Technical; Hey, I have a laptop and upon boot up i get BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) i have tried loading ...

Thank Post

Exclamation Boot up error

Hey,

I have a laptop and upon boot up i get BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) i have tried loading in safe mode and this also fails to work... the error i am getting is Unmountable-boot-volume.

Any ideas? help would be greatly appreiciated

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 978 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jashworth1990 View Post
    Hey,

I have a laptop and upon boot up i get BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) i have tried loading in safe mode and this also fails to work... the error i am getting is Unmountable-boot-volume.

Any ideas? help would be greatly appreiciated

you can either use a linux live disc or a windows 2000 or xp disc.

If linux live disc then something along the lines of

NTFS.sys error 0x024- Tips and Tricks - www.retosphere.de

The recomended way is to use a windows 2000 or windows xp disc and boot into recovery console and use the chkdsk /r and fixboot and fixmbr commands as per

Fix Unmountable Boot Volume (Windows XP), Install Recovery Console in System Startup - Tips & Tricks - TechMynd

PC Hell: Troubleshooting the Unmountable Boot Volume Error Message in Windows XP

3. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

jashworth1990 (20th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chuck in the windows DVD and allow the computer to boot from it, when you get to the main screen click the "repair" link at the bottom left and let it automaticlly fix it for you.

Otherwise boot into recovery console as above and run chkdsk manually.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 978 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Chuck in the windows DVD and allow the computer to boot from it, when you get to the main screen click the "repair" link at the bottom left and let it automaticlly fix it for you.

Otherwise boot into recovery console as above and run chkdsk manually.

the fixboot and fixmbr I assume are last ditch attempt commands to try assuming there is data on the drives you want to keep otherwise if you are not fussed about either data or other operating systems installed on the drive(s) then should not be an issue ?

I also know there is a bootcfg command to re build the boot.ini file by detecting any relevant OSes that are installed

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    the fixboot and fixmbr I assume are last ditch attempt commands to try assuming there is data on the drives you want to keep otherwise if you are not fussed about either data or other operating systems installed on the drive(s) then should not be an issue ?

I also know there is a bootcfg command to re build the boot.ini file by detecting any relevant OSes that are installed
    The fixboot command rewrites the bootsector on the drive and the fixmbr rewrites the master boot record. These do not touch the data partitions but will kill your ability to boot Vista or 7 if you run it from an XP cd.

The bootcfg is again limited to if you only have 2000-XP/2003 on the drive but yes the bootcfg /rebuild command will look for and add any compatible OSs to the boot list.

The inaccessable boot volume is usually just a dirty state of the MFT or something in NTFS, oddly I had to deal with this exact fault four days ago on an XP machine and chkdsk fixed it up fine. Being Vista is is actually easier as the repair wizard will fix most stuff like that automaticly without a hassle via the repair bit on the DVD.

My post was a tad delaid as EG is taking literally 5 minutes to load pages for me at the moment

Thank Post
    the laptop is currently running windows vista and i have cheacked for the bootup disks and cannot find them... sorry!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jashworth1990 View Post
    the laptop is currently running windows vista and i have cheacked for the bootup disks and cannot find them... sorry!
    Try these:
    Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download — The NeoSmart Files

Extra instructions:
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wi...windows/?p=622

Once you tell it to repair it shoudl figure out that something is wrong and fix it for you after asking. If not just use the commang prompt option and do a chkdsk
    Last edited by SYNACK; 19th January 2010 at 08:42 PM.

10. Thanks to SYNACK from:

jashworth1990 (19th January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread