+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Microsoft backtracks on Vista licensing in Technical; Reversing a licensing change announced two weeks ago, Microsoft said on Thursday that it will not limit the number of ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Microsoft backtracks on Vista licensing

Reversing a licensing change announced two weeks ago, Microsoft said on Thursday that it will not limit the number of times that retail customers can transfer their Windows Vista license to a different computer.

On Oct. 16, Microsoft issued the new user license for Vista, including terms that would have limited the ability of those who buy a boxed copy of the operating system to transfer that license. Under the proposed terms, users could have made such a switch only one time.

However, the new restriction prompted an outcry among hardware enthusiasts and others. Microsoft is returning the licensing terms to basically what they were in Windows XP--users can transfer their license to a new PC an unlimited number of times, provided they uninstall and stop using it on the prior machine.

The software maker said it paid attention to the response both directly to the company and on blogs and decided to reverse course. Microsoft had hoped to use the change to aid its ongoing efforts to thwart piracy.

"We're trying to be really clear about our intention to prevent piracy," said Microsoft product manager Mike Burk. "At the same time, after listening to the feedback that came in, (we) felt that we needed to make this change."

By reversing course, Burk said, Microsoft hoped to assuage users' concerns, particularly those of hobbyists who frequently upgrade the components of their PC, in some cases triggering Windows to consider the machine a new PC.

The plan to limit transfers was part of a series of changes to the terms that apply to boxed copies of Vista, not to the license that comes on a new, Vista-equipped PC. Separate rules apply for the versions of Windows installed on new PCs, which is how the majority of buyers get their copy of Windows. Typically, copies of Windows purchased on a new PC cannot legally be transferred to another PC.

Burk said that Microsoft isn't planning to back off any of its other planned licensing changes, including a move related to virtualization, in which a computer runs multiple operating systems, or multiple copies of the same operating system, at the same time.

Under those new license terms, any Windows version can serve as the primary, or host, operating system. However, only the Business and Ultimate editions of Vista can run as guest operating systems in virtualization.

"We're not planning on making any other changes," Burk said. "We'll keep listening to people's feedback."

Thank Post

Re: Microsoft backtracks on Vista licensing

Why do they feel the need to restrict the use of Virtualisation?
    M$ really do have some strange Ideas with regards to licences...

Thank Post

Ive never understood why microsoft pish about with licnces and try to stop piracy. They cant do it, simple as that, there will always be someone who can break the protection, look at the 360.

The only thing M$ manage to achieve by all this protection/validation/etc is to pish off the people who actually do buy their products. Everyone else just goes to google and types in "windows xxx crack" lmao

Thank Post

I know somebody who said if it wasnt for cracked windows and office they wouldnt be working now using several microsoft products which their company have bought a license for. So in a way, a cracked copy of windows in one place has actually resulted in a license for office and windows xp being purchased in another place. had my friend not used his cracked versions to learn his employer wouldnt have needed to buy this extra license

Thank Post

I paid £170 for Windows XP Pro on launch day.
    After a few upgrades and such it wouldn't let me Validate anymore.
    Got a cracked version from a friend and never had any bother.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The last version of Windows I bought was Windows 98SE - special PC World upgrade offer for £8 since I had just bought a PC with 95 on it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Nice move for people, but having an MS action pack means I get 10 Vista Licences so I am covered as I am sure I don't remmeber reading that they were upgrade ones like Volume customers get. But I know this is a good move the the PC community.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread