Poll: When will you deploy Vista

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, When will you deploy vista in Technical; Erm.. the poll seems to make the mistake of assuming that Vista will actually make it out before or even ...
    Thank Post

Re: When will you deploy vista

Erm.. the poll seems to make the mistake of assuming that Vista will actually make it out before or even during 2008..

My money is going with SP1 being out and the bugs being removed.. Oh and my schools deciding they can't live without it. Sooo.. 2009 maybe?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts

Need to look at upgrading servers to 2k3 yet but would imagine no large probs there, before looking at deploying Vista around 2008 maybe slightly later 2009 when all the immediate bugs are ironed out to a satisfactory level.
    Teachers are a worry cos they won't have the same colours and appearance as XP so they will be totally lost hehe.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink
    Erm.. the poll seems to make the mistake of assuming that Vista will actually make it out before or even during 2008..

My money is going with SP1 being out and the bugs being removed.. Oh and my schools deciding they can't live without it. Sooo.. 2009 maybe?
    Of course it's really good fun to knock Microsoft and for many of us it's a difficult habit to break - it's just a natural thing to do. There is no way that Vista will not be coming out in Q1 2007 though, it's going RTM on November the 8. I've been using it on my own personal machines for quite a few months now, as I'm sure a lot of you have, and it's solid as a rock and looks great. It's even surprising how dated XP looks and feels when you go back to it. While this will not be the huge jump forward that home users were hoping for and a lot of the features that Microsoft have dropped is very disappointing, for the techies out there it is part of a whole new Microsoft strategy that'll make our lives so much easier.

Thank Post

Probably 2008.

Need the hardware that will run it first, plus I need to spend a good few months learning it myself before it goes anywhere near our network.

RC1 Runs great on a MacBook in Parallels though!

Thank Post

as we're all MS here, it'll come eventually, but not until at least SP1, and all the machines are up to spec.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have been looking at dual booting 2 rooms but we have some other stuff to complete first ... give me 3 weeks and I'll have decided (and maybe even have a RIS image ready to go)

I may look at the new deployment system first (or get Stephen and Sean too ... the pleasures of having minions). I've mentioned this to a few people already but time to go public.

After having a few conversations with some people at Microsoft they are quite keen to find a few schools, outside of the usual partner initiatives, to try a room or two of Vista and/or Office 2007. They would like to see how it affects what happens in the calssroom as well as seeing how easy techies find it to roll out and support.

There will be support for this from a number of places including here and directly from Microsoft. If you are interested please PM me and I will pass on your details.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    I have been looking at dual booting 2 rooms but we have some other stuff to complete first ... give me 3 weeks and I'll have decided (and maybe even have a RIS image ready to go)

I may look at the new deployment system first.
    I thought RIS could only support booting from the first partition on disk. Is Vista RIS more flexible in this repect?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We would be using DeployCentre (formerly from paowerQuest, now part of Ghost from Symantec ... but we are still licensed for the old version) to roll out the initial two partition image (Vista on the first partition and XP on the second) and then keep duing updates to the Vista side of things via RIS ...

It means more work but I'll have to see how much more.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Trialing now, with a possible easter roll out, and yes the imaging stuff is amazing, looks very very good cannot wait for it.
    To all those who mention using the imaging tools:-

Does this mean you are using Longhorn Server too for the imaging, instead is RIS on Server 2003?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

At the moment no ... Server 2003 R2, but we will be looking at the new deployment kit to see what else it offers.

Thank Post

it is part of a whole new Microsoft strategy that'll make our lives so much easier
    Uh huh.. and what did **zero admin** do for you around the turn of the century?

.MS said every release of NT was utterly fabulous on all counts and I don't recall my relationship with it changing that much in the 13 years since v3.1. What usually happens is they make make feature X easier for the GUI-bound, but then there's some essential (hah!) new feature Y that takes up the time you just saved.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

The new imaging tools come with SP2 for Server 2003, but you can get an RC of it from the MS site. Its called WDS (windows Deployment Services) I think.... I have just read up on it so far and not played but it looks good, so Vista will deploy off Server 2003 using WDS, but not RIS.

Thank Post

I'd need to read up on it more, but the earliest we would look at it is Sept 2007, we have a new build supposedly finishing then so with that would come a load of new PC's. SO this is when i will have to give it some serious thought.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    The new imaging tools come with SP2 for Server 2003, but you can get an RC of it from the MS site. Its called WDS (windows Deployment Services) I think.... I have just read up on it so far and not played but it looks good, so Vista will deploy off Server 2003 using WDS, but not RIS.
    Thanks. Is there any benefit to deploying XP with WDS?

I'm not planning on using Vista for a couple of years, we just don't have the hardware; but I'm interested in the new deployment tools if they're any use to me at the moment with XP.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

I have not tried them, but will be doing maybe over crimbo.

If you currently use RIS you will get them with SP2 for Server 2003 as it is the replacment for RIS, but as far as I gathered from reading the MS blurb, before I got bored of the usual MS waffle, is its basically RIS just with a bit more intelligence, and hopefully some more common NICs integrated in it such as the Broadcom ones that all the big names like such as HP.

Every HP Business Desktop in the last 4 years is Broadcom based (yes I know there will be odd models with that as an exception) and the new range of G5 servers are Broadcom based now as well so its about time MS integrate that into it without me doing it.

When you think about it RIS is a windows 2000 carry through fine its been tweaked slightly but I suspect this will be like changing SUS to WSUS, a big difference hopefully! I will try and read more this week if I get chance and try it on our admin network maybe as I don't want to upset my RIS box as its puring like a dream again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast