+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Wireless issues in Technical; Hi All I'm having issues with a laptop and its starting to turn into a right pain in my ar*e. ...
    Thank Post

Wireless issues

Hi All
    I'm having issues with a laptop and its starting to turn into a right pain in my ar*e. Its runing vista home and was working wireless a 6 weeks back now without any issues.
    It all started when the internet stop working and this turned out to be norton blocking the internet from running
    After this the owner has change there ISP to virgin media, I have set up the wireless router goes through the install say everything is fine and working. As soon as you take the cat 5 cable out the try and connect the wireless it just sits there and then says "this is taking longer then it should" and then fails. Tried to connect to wireless but nothing
    Any ideas
    Cheers
    Training Needed

Thank Post
    Can another device connect to the wireless network? If "yes", then it's a laptop issue. If no, it could be a wide varity of issues... There could be new external interference... The wireless box could have developed a fault (I've had that a few times over the years), an updated wireless NIC driver delivered from MS could also be an issue, etc, etc, etc...

-Ken
    Last edited by wagnerk; 7th December 2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: more wording

3. Thanks to wagnerk from:

training_needed (9th December 2009)

Thank Post
    I should of said in the first place I connected my XDA to wireless fine and works nice and quick bl**dy laptop will be the death of me....

Thank Post
    In that case, have you tried removing Norton and install another security suite like MS Security Essentials (then do a full scan). And do a full system malware/spyware scan with Malwarebytes, Ad-aware & Spybot.

Just to rule out any issues cause by the above.

Then download and apply the latest wireless nic drivers from the manufacturer rather than MS updates.

-Ken

Thank Post
    Strange how it used to work before, id try the hammer on laptop approach! or could try deleting the prefered wireless setting for that connection

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    disable any utilities that the wifi card is trying to use and let windows deal with the wireless connection

set it up on the router as an open wireless connection ( no security to start with )

assuming there is no on / off switch for the wifi on the laptop that is disabled and assuming the wireless zero configuration service etc is all running then try and connect the laptop.

Also what operating system is on the laptop ie windows xp service pack 2 or later or what exactly ?

Also what wireless card has the laptop got ?

8. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

training_needed (9th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Cheers Peeps will try and update the nic me thinks next then I take the hammer to it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by training_needed View Post
    Cheers Peeps will try and update the nic me thinks next then I take the hammer to it.

not sure if you can or if its possible as I might be imaging things but maybe a firmware update for the wireless card ?

If its onboard I wonder if there is a bios update that fixes some issues with the wifi card - if its dedicated ie a pci wireless card then check manufacturers website possibly

Also if windows xp make sure its at least service pack 2 as I think service pack 2 gives more or better support for wpa and the likes wpa 2 etc - I think but could be wrong

Thank Post
    Thank's for all the help people after asking for what seemed to be the 1000 time my friend managed to produce a bl**dy restore disk A quick rebuild and a not so quick update last night it finaly connected to the wireless and stayed there for over a hour.
    Many thanks
    again
    Training needed

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread