+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Tested software under RC1 Build 5728 in Technical; *Edited title/attachement to correct build number* Hi all, Finally got a chance to sit down and play again with Vista ...

Thank Post

Tested software under RC1 Build 5728

*Edited title/attachement to correct build number*

Hi all,

Finally got a chance to sit down and play again with Vista RC1. Pervious experiences with Beta 2 and the earlier RC1 (build 5600) were not particularly favourable from the perspective of application compatibility.

So today, I built up a test VMWare Virtual machine with Vista RC1 build 5782 and carried out application installation testing. The list is a 'typical build' that I'd do on my home PC.

Performance was not too bad considering it was carried out in a VM, but the idea of the excercise was to llok at what programs installed, not what the speed was like.

For reference, the host hardware was an AMD Athlon 64 3000 with 2GB of RAM running Windows XP Pro SP2 and VMWare Workstation 5.5. 1GB of RAM was assigned to the virtual machine and 16GB of disk space which was definately pushing it - I had to turn off system restore in the VM to get enough disk space to finish up the testing.

The table is in PDF format (was orginally Excel). Not a comprehensive list by any means, but I thought it might be useful to some, plus it's good to put something back into what is an excellent resource for us school IT techies!

Cheers,
    Neil

Thank Post

Re: Tested software under RC1 Build 5728

Pulled down the ISO for RC2 on Saturday night and have just built up a Vista RC2 virtual machine. On first, brief looks, performance is a bit more sprightly I'm assuming that all the apps that I tested in RC1 still work, so will just be looking at the real troublesome ones from the previous test.

Apps that also work in RC2 are:

Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0

Apps that still don't work are:

Adobe Encore - first time I installed it, it then uninstalled itself. Second time round, all the shortcuts were put in, but on running the program, it complained about not being able to find any editing modes. This could be because I installed it before Premiere. After installing Premiere, I then went for the Repair option, which not fix things. Uninstalled Encore totally and reinstalled it, to which it uninstalled itself. Same thing happened fourth time round. Fifth time round, same again. Sixth time round, I set the properties for setup.exe to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode and as administrator. Still no joy, so I bailed out. Bottem line is I think Encore 2.0 / Vista RC2 do not get along together.

Ahead Nero 7.2.7.0 - Same issue as before:Setup runs but then displays an error statng that Vista is not supported. Clicking OK exits setup. Not really a showstopper, as I can use version 6.6.0.14.

Ulead Media Studio 8 - Installs OK, but apps crash on launch

Intervideo WinDVD - Installer crashes at end of install, but appears to install OK. Activation crashes though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread