+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Trojan Horse Generic 14.DYJ in Technical; Has anyone had any experience of the above on Vista? I've just been dialed onto my friends laptop in Australia ...

Thank Post

Trojan Horse Generic 14.DYJ

Has anyone had any experience of the above on Vista?

I've just been dialed onto my friends laptop in Australia for the last 2 hours trying to remove it but no look. The one thing recommended is to boot into safe mode and work from there but I am then unable to dial on. I need something that I can talk my friend through over the phone and hopefully fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Safemode with networking also I normally use a squared free which is good and also startup control panel by mlin which will check all the run keys and startup locations ( better version of msconfig) msconfig is still good though as you can check if non ms services ate running also if you google that Trojan it should show you how to remove it also before you dial in to his comp make sure all your av and anti spyware etc is up to date and if they have system restore enabled possibly disable it temporarily whilst removing the trojan which you can then re enable afterwards ( obviously with it being windows vista and not having much experience of vista I am not sure if it has or uses system restore and if it does if its called / named the same thing or not. )

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial143.html

Am guessing it does as per above link ( if you do go ahead and disable it obviously at your own risk as if something does go seriously wrong whilst you are trying to remove the trojan then obviously you will be back at square one ) Not that it would be just as a word of warning - so maybe worth while to first of all backup any things they want to keep ie favourites, email data ( so if its outlook then the outlook data for emails, address book etc ) and any documents they have or audio , pictures and some hp computers and now Dells come with a folder named by hp or dell or whoever that contains the drivers so to start with make a backup of that so after the fresh install you can at least install drivers that you know will work with the hardware.

Then just do a fresh install and re install a aforementioned drivers and put the data back ( obviously depends how long you want to spend either getting rid of the trojan or just starting fresh ? )
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 21st July 2009 at 07:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi Mac_Shinobi,

I will give the user a call some when and run it into safemode with networking and do a scan, personally I would use the restore disk but she cannot find it and as she is in Australia I cant really wipe it and start again.

Leave it with me I will have a play.

Thank Post
    Try running combofix 1st

A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread