+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, choice of OS in Technical; hi if you were buying windows PCs for a new network now, with a windows server 2008 domain controller and ...

Thank Post

choice of OS

hi if you were buying windows PCs for a new network now, with a windows server 2008 domain controller and 20 PCs for use in school curriculum, would you go for vista or xp? Xp is old, and support for it even on netbooks is planned to finish at some point, with windows 7 versions coming out (autumn 2009?) . Most educational software now has versions for vista, so would you still get vista PCs and roll back to xp or is it now better to use vista in the classroom?

Thank Post
    I'd still have XP and jump to v7 when it arrives.

Thank Post
    Get XP, we still install XP on anything that comes in with Vista Business. Need the computer to be usable

Thank Post

vista

I run both and haven't had any major problems with software with new hardware i go for Vista as have rolled a couple of laptops back to xp for teachers and struggled to get the drivers for xp. Windows 7 is vista plus some new bits so not gaining much by waiting that you cant get now.

Thank Post
    I would buy PCs that have a licence for Vista with downgrade (or should that be upgrade) rights and then you can run XP to start with and upgrade to Vista if you felt like it later.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Again, i would get vista licence's and downgrade to windows xp, and then move on to win 7, or windows vista if you really needed to. but personally i would wait for 7

James.

Thank Post
    Support for it [XP] even on netbooks is planned to finish at some point
    April 2014.. that's 5 years time.. your new PCs etc. may well be in or headed for WEEE-land by then.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For now we buy Vista Business PC's and downgrade to XP Pro. We are currently planning to move to Win7 in 2011, well before the April 2014 deadline for XP.

Thank Post
    I would also get machines with vista licenses and then use downgrade rights to wipe and install XP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imiddleton25 View Post
    I run both and haven't had any major problems with software with new hardware i go for Vista as have rolled a couple of laptops back to xp for teachers and struggled to get the drivers for xp. Windows 7 is vista plus some new bits so not gaining much by waiting that you cant get now.
    Just thought that i'd echo yuor sentiments. Run Vista, really on modern hardware there is no problem at all. You're going to have the gpo configuration headache when you move to Win 7, might as well tackle it now for Vista.

Matt

Thank Post
    Same here buy Vista Business PC's and use downgrade rights back to XP

We have too much Educational software to update at present (Although it will happen at some point.

Out of interest we use Office 2003 (Bought 2007 Licences and use downgrade rights)
    Has everyone else jumped to Office 2007 ?

Steve

Thank Post
    Vista with upgrade to XP licence. Theres really no need for vista, i dont like it, you dont like it, the kids dont like it, the staff dont like it, and most importantly your hardware and software dont like it. Close your eyes, no-one can see you and it will go away.

Thank Post
    Vista to XP downgrade for us at the moment - no real need to jump to Vista at the moment (although the possibility of running a choice of either through VDI would be classy )

Wait for 7 (Vista SP2 ) when the performance is up to an acceptable standard but in the meantime test Vista \ Server 2008 GPOs on a test network to get geared up and ready...
    Last edited by gshaw; 9th February 2009 at 12:00 PM.

Thank Post
    ok thanks everyone,

Thank Post
    As mentioned all PCs and Laptops (except netbooks) have to come with Vista now and as you said you can downgrade. However the ability to downgrade was suppose to stop at the start of this year with support finishing during this year. You can never trust microsoft!

From personal experiance installing in schools over the last few months lots of schools are now moving to Vista but some of these schools have done total replacements and thus changed the whole school. I agree if you change some of the PCs and then have a Vista/XP mix you may well have trouble with the children.

If you move to Server 2008 (which is much improved on 2003) then Vista is the best way forward.

Although this doesn't affect schools as much of all the repairs we do about 70% are virus repairs and to date none have been Vista, all XP.

I would move to Vista but leave Windows 7 until SP1 comes out for it, thats when Vista started to work!

Hope that helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast