+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Vista Thread, choice of OS in Technical; Originally Posted by acer-man As mentioned all PCs and Laptops (except netbooks) have to come with Vista now and as ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by acer-man View Post
    As mentioned all PCs and Laptops (except netbooks) have to come with Vista now and as you said you can downgrade. However the ability to downgrade was suppose to stop at the start of this year with support finishing during this year. You can never trust microsoft!
    Having spent far, far, far too much time studying M$ licensing, I think there is a point here that needs clarifying.

M$ have allowed OEM's to include a OEM XP downgrade CD/DVD with certain versions of Vista. This arrangement was due to end last month but was extended until mid June.

This arrangement is in fact separate from the downgrade rights we already have under M$ Select licensing (and the Schools Agreement).

Under the Select agreement we can re-image a machine with the same OS as provided by OEM, or any previous equivalent version. This right continues after the mid June cut-off for OEM's providing downgrade media. In fact the downgrade rights were in place for Win XP, and possibly with previous versions. They are not new to the Vista EULA at all.

Previous equivalent versions for Vista Business would be XP Pro, 2000 Pro, NT4 and Win98SE. If you have a Select agreement with M$ and have bought a PC with Vista Business OEM license you can downgrade that PC to any of these versions.

2. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

acer-man (10th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks to tmcd35.

I wrote that message while watching Bob the Builder with my Son, so my mind was maybe not fully on what I was writing!

I had forgotten about select agreements this morning but you are correct, I am unsure if an OEM licence will give you downgrade rights under the select agreement?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by acer-man View Post
    Than
    I am unsure if an OEM licence will give you downgrade rights under the select agreement?
    See attached. Under 'System Software' and 'OEM' (centre box). List of OS's OEM version has downgrade rights to. The downgrade rights themselves only, logically, work with Select/Open media.

So, if you have a PC with Vista Business OEM and a Select/Open XP Pro CD then you can downgrade.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

acer-man (10th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that document.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12