+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Can't log on or off in Technical; We have had 11 Windows Vista Business laptops working here since September. They have all worked fine until now, about ...
    Thank Post

Can't log on or off

We have had 11 Windows Vista Business laptops working here since September. They have all worked fine until now, about 5 of them take 3 hours to log on, and 3 to log off.

Once in they work perfectly and the event logs do not show anything. If we switch the wireless card off and unplug the LAN they go in almost instantly. This isn't because of a large roaming profile - they are all a couple of MB in size. They are teacher laptops, so only 1 person logs on to them.

What is going on? I have found re-installing works for a few days, but 3 of them started to do it again!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    3 hours! That must be a record. Are you sure laptops are definitely getting an IP from the access points? It might be they're connecting to an access point further away which has a much weaker signal.

What about trying an XP laptop? Do these have the same/similar problems in the same area?

Thank Post
    I've had the same thing on my Vista Business SP1 Laptop. Log ons on wireless with an existing profile take upwards of 2-3 minutes to complete. Tried turning off the auto tune receive window feature but this made no difference.

I keep thinking it is the process of wireless authentication (802.1X) which is slowing the logins up.

Have gone back to XP for the time being on my work laptop. That makes the logins much much faster.

I'm starting to wonder if it may be better for Vista if the Primary DC was a 2008 Server rather than a 2003 one?

Just my thoughts! I'm probably just as confused about this!

Quote Originally Posted by button_ripple View Post
    We have had 11 Windows Vista Business laptops working here since September. They have all worked fine until now, about 5 of them take 3 hours to log on, and 3 to log off.

Once in they work perfectly and the event logs do not show anything. If we switch the wireless card off and unplug the LAN they go in almost instantly. This isn't because of a large roaming profile - they are all a couple of MB in size. They are teacher laptops, so only 1 person logs on to them.

What is going on? I have found re-installing works for a few days, but 3 of them started to do it again!!

Thank Post
    XP laptops do not have this problem, different users on the same laptop do not have this problem, the laptop is definately connected to the right access point, even when plugged in over a cable it takes 3 hours.
    We have a 2008 DC

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Very weird then. Have you tried removing a Vista laptop from the domain and re-joining the domain? What about updating wireless drivers? What type of wireless security do you use?

If all this fails then I would seriously consider going back to XP SP3.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread