+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, SOMEONE HELP ME!!! PLEASE!!! in Technical; i have just tried to install server 2003 as a second os. Big Mistake. i now cant get back into ...
    Thank Post

SOMEONE HELP ME!!! PLEASE!!!

i have just tried to install server 2003 as a second os. Big Mistake. i now cant get back into vista, all i get is a message just afer POST saying 'Error Loading Operating System'.

I tried to install the second OS on a seperate partition and have since removed it to try and get vista working again. no joy though. i put in the original vista disk and run the repair tool you get, it came up with 2 errors. the first was that the 'boot manager was corrupt', so it fixed that, then it said something like the 'boot partiton code was corrupt' and it went on to tell me that it had also repaired that fault. the repair tool says that it cant find anything wrong but i am still getting the original error message and cant load vista.

I have been scouring the net for nearly 2 days and cant find any sort of answer. i really dont want to format the drive.

Please, someone help me!!!!!

Thanks

James

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    vista has a whole raft of repair options - most are automatic and will fix "easy" problems but if these don't work eventually you get offered a full repair - this basically reinstalls Vista but keeps all the settings etc

If you just need to get files off the drive and don't mind reinstalling once you've done that then you can do that fairly easily. Boot the Vista DVD and then just press Shift F10 - you'll open a command window. If everything is in one folder then just copy that folder - perhaps to a USB external drive or the second partition. If the files are scattered and you want to browse around then download A43 file management program - this runs without installation (eg from a USB stick) and will allow you to browse and find whatever you need.

3. Thanks to srochford from:

Admiral208 (15th September 2008)

Thank Post
    too late to say that you should have installed Windows 2003 in a VM then!

All the data on the h/d is saveable as is the original o/s, but you need to fettle the MBR to recognise the o/s.

You could, as suggested install the vista os again, windows XP will also allow you to do that (but it takes some pursuading). Some linux boot discs can also allow you access to the MBR and correct it, so that it is only looking for Vista, as long as you haven't corrupted the MBR

5. Thanks to StewartKnight from:

Admiral208 (15th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    i now cant get back into vista, all i get is a message just after POST saying 'Error Loading Operating System'.
    You could try using GRUB as your bootloader, with an entry pointing at your Windows Vista and Windows Server 2003 installs. I like System Rescue CD for installing GRUB and repartitioning disks:

Main Page - SystemRescueCd

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    sorted it!!!

i used the bootsect repair tool to fix the MBR, what a relief, i was about to format the whole thing.

thanks everyone that replied.

James

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information