Poll: Are you coming round to Windows Vista?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Are you coming round to Windows Vista? in Technical; Originally Posted by torledo Vista will detect the HAL type if you use the new -generalize -OOBE switch in sysprep ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Vista will detect the HAL type if you use the new -generalize -OOBE switch in sysprep if your going to then image your machines with something like ghost.

The only thing to watch with Vista's OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) is that it strips out any drivers that didnt come in the, errr, box (hence OOBE!)

One work around is to use Microsoft's Deployment Toolkit (MDT, was BDD) to allow you to inject the drivers into the Vista Install - This stops Vista's Sysprep from stripping the new drivers out

As most of our hardware have tghe same hardware - more or less this isnt much of an issue - nor is Aero Glass - if the hardware doesn't support it with OOBE drivers - whatever..

So far a Vista Image built on an HP dc7700 has installed onto - an Acer ASspire T650, a dc7800, a dc5800, as well as other dc7700's as well as a custom built Pent-D.. So far - only the Acer supoprts Glass with the OOBE drivers..

Thank Post
    Im probably going to get lynched for saying this but i prefer Vista to XP!! I used to be of the opinion that vista was but i thought to myself ' Well its gonna happen sooner or later so may as well start getting used to it!'. The first few weeks were 'Where the hell have they moved that to?!' and 'What the the hell have they renamed that to?!?' (The add remove programs one still confuses me!!).

I have now been using Vista at work for nearly 6 months and i can catagoricaly say that i wont be going back to xp. I run a xp virtual machine on my vista machine so i can test anything on that. I am even looking at buying a new machine at home so i can buy vista as i now hate using my xp computer at home!

I have tried using linux and nearlly launched the machine through the skylight above my desk!!
    Last edited by DSapseid; 24th July 2008 at 02:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    The first few weeks were 'Where the hell have they moved that to?!' and 'What the the hell have they renamed that to?!?' (The add remove programs one still confuses me!!).
    I had that problem but the nice thing about the start menu / control panel in Vista is that you can simply hit the Start Key, type in what you want to run/access then press return and it'll automatically launch it! No more having to search through 2-3 screens worth of start menu listings to find what you want which is a colossal improvement IMO

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    and i can catagoricaly say that i wont be going back to vista.
    I assume thats a typo

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I assume thats a typo
    Yep meant to be xp!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Microsoft looks to 'Mojave' to revive Vista's image | Beyond Binary - A blog by Ina Fried - CNET News

Interesting, I wonder how many would have different impression if they did that too.
    People seem to harsh on vista imho.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    1GB = useless
    2GB = jus about usable
    3GB = XP level of performance with 2GB!
    2GB of RAM only costs about 20 these days so no point in worrying about it. It's a simple enough job to upgrade!

Thank Post
    At home I've got XP Pro SP2 (not SP3 yet - tempted tho) - I run Server 2008 and no Vista in sight.

At work - XP Pro SP2 all the way with a few Server 2008's creeping in.

I admit that Vista will probably make SOME kind of appearance here on site but until then - I'm breathing easy and sleeping at night.

Az

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    STILL doesnt work with my hardware and applications.

Twice as slow as XP (if not more) at just about everything.

Extreamly annoying interface which is more suited to a trained chimp than an IT professional. ("Are you sure?" Yes im friggin sure!)

That config you needed, well its not where it was in XP, we're moved it to an "easier and more convienant place" Its under the advanced options in a subcatagory of a submenu of the options pages of the config file which is under this menu which is in network settings which is under control panel...

Doesnt deliver on its main advantage for me which is "improved" audio in the form of WaveRT.

If you want a media centre than the free MythTV is far better.

If you just want to browse the internet than you dont need an OS which eats 200 worth of hardware before you even open Internet explorer.

Theres a couple of things which i have thought "yeah thats good" but not enough to justrify Vistas existance nevermind its usefulness to me personally.
    I acutally quite like the new start menu, i think the idea of hunting for an app and the start menu NOT taking up the entire desktop as you hunt for an app nested in there somewhere is a nice idea. Also the windows explorer i can deal with.

I just wish M$ would have gone the whole hog and dumped 'Program File'...there should be no room for folders of the main c: drive with spaces in them. A simple 'programs' would have been fine.

If you guys don't like the interface for whatever reason, don't expect windows 7 to change your skepticism...windows 7 is going to be Vista SP2. The body of evidence is pretty clear on that now. It may address some of the bugs and performance issues, in which case it's worth waiting....but don't wait if your holding out for a 'new' OS because it really isn't going to be that.

Windows 7 is going to create a problem for microsoft in that it's potentially going to delay even further corporate IT from switching from XP....because they typically wait for a SP1 at a minimum for a new OS, Microsoft are going to have a job conving IT depts. that there's no point in doing that with Windows 7, seeing as it's pretty much a service pack itself. Confused thinking from microsoft...why not just call it Vista R2. The R2 worked wonderfully well for server 2003, why wouldn't it work to rid Vista of some of the stigma.
    Last edited by torledo; 24th July 2008 at 04:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Doesn't seem to have any advantage over XP, pretty much does the same things, only slower.
    I couldn't of put it better sparkeh. All my sites use XP and 2003 Server and at home I use XP SP3. I have played quite a lot with Vista but the requirements are far too high in my opinion. Microsoft are their own worse enemy. XP was released back in 2001 and was their flagship OS far longer than anticipated and people do dislike change.

I quite regularly get customers asking me to downgrade them back to XP. Business wise it makes little sense to adopt Vista, as lots of applications either need upgrading or replacing. Microsoft haven't succeeded with Vista, even 1.5 years since its release.

Thankfully (on a positive), XP SP3 runs really well and will be supported until 2014. I'll no doubt be using XP for quite some time to come!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    2GB of RAM only costs about 20 these days so no point in worrying about it. It's a simple enough job to upgrade!
    Problem though... if it needs 3GB to run now you've hit the 32-bit ceiling and that's your lot!

I originally believed Vista was gonna be the first true 64-bit OS and imo Microsoft should have gone down that route and not released a 32-bit version.

It's too RAM hungry to be confined to 3.2GB RAM and is gonna choke up pretty quick if the OS needs 2GB for itself just to run properly, doesn't leave much room for apps does it

I hate that Start Menu as well, instead of it spreading out it just scrolls down off the page - anyway people should tidy their Start Menus before it gets that bad anyway :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Problem though... if it needs 3GB to run now you've hit the 32-bit ceiling and that's your lot
    In Vista SP1 you can go upto 4GB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Bit better but still not great, I'd guess the RAM requirements will shoot up over time as well... remember XP on 128MB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Yep, still sucks.
    Huh? Look, I love Ubuntu (I use it at home), and we use Windows XP and Mac OSX at work, but I have been trying Vista so when we do eventually go to it, we don't look stupid in how to use it... most of our staff are going to end up with it, so we are going to have to learn it..and then its only a matter of time before we end up with it on our desktops....

Your comment seems rather simple and I can see a point in time when even the windows "hater" will need to use it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Yes. But the 32 bit version can only use 3.5 Gb!.. Unless you know something I don't?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast