Poll: Are you coming round to Windows Vista?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Are you coming round to Windows Vista? in Technical; tbh I dont find it that slow either. Boot time is about the same and if you compare like for ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 815 Posts
    Blog Entries
    tbh I dont find it that slow either. Boot time is about the same and if you compare like for like (XP + Windows Defender + Windows Search) things start to get closer.
    Copy times do seem slightly slower in my experience but other then that its fine but I have not had the 2gb bug.
    As for work use, it does offer some admin benefits and user benefits but it will be a fair bit of work to test everything but the benefit is if you go to vista the kernel is going to probably be identical in windows 7 so your network could be more ready for that.

Thank Post
    Gotta say yeah I am - Moving to Vista where I can in the school - in fact its making my life easier as I only need one image - rather than the usal 6!
    Got it on my new laptop, my Work PC and my Home PC (dual booting to XP!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    in fact its making my life easier as I only need one image - rather than the usal 6!
    How is that then? Why do you only have one now?

Thanks

Z

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    How is that then? Why do you only have one now?

Thanks

Z
    Vista imaging works differently in that it's HAL independent. No need to create a separate image for each hardware spec..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Vista imaging works differently in that it's HAL independent. No need to create a separate image for each hardware spec..
    So what would i do just to move the image to another machine?

Thanks

Z

Thank Post
    Its easier having 6 images and running XP then having 1 image and running Vista.

Unless of course you like the word "Welcome" for 5-10 minutes on your screen with a animated circle.....

Please wait....... Please Wait...... Please Wait......, and o Please... wait some more......

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks

Z
    The simplest way is to sysprep is and image it as is detailed here:
    Deploying Vista – Part 5: Using Sysprep

It is way better to use the AIK and WDS though so I would suggest reading the whole article.

Thank Post
    Big no here.

In fact, my experiences with Vista on some new laptops at one of my schools inspired me to buy a Mac! It was time for a new rig, and I didn't like the way Microsoft is going with Windows, so decided the time was right to jump ship.

And to be honest, I'm not looking back. I've got Office which I need, Photoshop Elements, and of course the option to use XP via Boot Camp or Parallels. And my desk is so much tidier with an iMac on it than my old PC.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Its easier having 6 images and running XP then having 1 image and running Vista.

Unless of course you like the word "Welcome" for 5-10 minutes on your screen with a animated circle.....

Please wait....... Please Wait...... Please Wait......, and o Please... wait some more......
    Even without the HAL detection abilities of the new sysprep in Vista, surely you wouldn't need to maintain 6 different XP images for different HAL types.

Aren't the HAL types basically divided into a combo of ACPI, Non-ACPI, UniProcessor and Multiprocessor and a couple of legacy HAL types that noone should have lying around. Seeing as most kit you'd want to deploy is of the uniprocessor variety and comparatively recent then you should only need to maintain a couple of different XP images at most - or is the reality different to that ....You could always go through the process of creating an XP HAL independent image to make life a little bit easier.

Other than the different sysprep version used with WIM based imaging of XP with it's version of sysprep and imagex/wim you get many of the same benefits as imaging Vista, such as the file based imaging and SIS.

Thank Post

Thanks

Z
    Vista will detect the HAL type if you use the new -generalize -OOBE switch in sysprep if your going to then image your machines with something like ghost.

Thank Post
    Although I voted no that was for school use. For home use I would never go back to XP on my main PC. The key to Vista is ram and lots of it. Once you hit the 6+ gig mark with a nice fast flash drive set as ready boost it’s a nippy OS. Wouldn’t dream of using Vista on a 2gig or less PC.

Hi to all the Eve online addicts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    Although I voted no that was for school use. For home use I would never go back to XP on my main PC. The key to Vista is ram and lots of it. Once you hit the 6+ gig mark with a nice fast flash drive set as ready boost it’s a nippy OS. Wouldn’t dream of using Vista on a 2gig or less PC.

Hi to all the Eve online addicts.
    Indeed. I find that 3GB of RAM is the ideal level, especially with the 32 bit flavours of Vista. 2 GB seems to lag a tiny bit and 1GB is a joke.

Thank Post
    Nope still hate it with a vengeance... put it on a new PC with the intention of trying to use it in the office day-to-day but just can't bear the interface!

Still there's no good reason why you'd install it, especially with XP SP3 booting lightning quick (wouldn't put Desktop Search near any of our PCs either it's dire )

1GB = useless
    2GB = jus about usable
    3GB = XP level of performance with 2GB!

The UI is horrible and takes double the time to do simple tasks, the colour scheme gives me headaches and the stupid animated windows are just irritating. All in all great for the unkowledgeable but hopeless for anyone who knows how to use a PC.

Only problem is one day users are gonna ask about it thanks to it being shovelled on new machines... that's the day I dread

I like Microsoft and prefer XP over Linux & co any day but this really is a dog of a product they need to get rid of asap

Thank Post

Ditch it (for now)

and install Windows 3.1 wonderful operating system and file manager is wonderful.

No really though, Vista is not up to the job in a school environment (my opinion only of course) in its current form. It provides us with no added features that are provided by Windows XP in terms of student teacher interaction.

I had it at home (Ultimate) and after around 6 weeks of playing with it I got both bored and frustrated with it and have gone back to XP.

At work I have two machines attached to a windows 2008 server to continue testing and determining whether there is any real benefit and at present there is not.

Thank Post
    STILL doesnt work with my hardware and applications.

Twice as slow as XP (if not more) at just about everything.

Extreamly annoying interface which is more suited to a trained chimp than an IT professional. ("Are you sure?" Yes im friggin sure!)

That config you needed, well its not where it was in XP, we're moved it to an "easier and more convienant place" Its under the advanced options in a subcatagory of a submenu of the options pages of the config file which is under this menu which is in network settings which is under control panel...

Doesnt deliver on its main advantage for me which is "improved" audio in the form of WaveRT.

If you want a media centre than the free MythTV is far better.

If you just want to browse the internet than you dont need an OS which eats £200 worth of hardware before you even open Internet explorer.

Theres a couple of things which i have thought "yeah thats good" but not enough to justrify Vistas existance nevermind its usefulness to me personally.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 24th July 2008 at 01:29 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast