Poll: Are you coming round to Windows Vista?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Are you coming round to Windows Vista? in Technical; I use 64bit vista home premium at home and dual boot vista home premium 32bit and ubuntu 8.04 32b on ...
    Thank Post
    I use 64bit vista home premium at home and dual boot vista home premium 32bit and ubuntu 8.04 32b on my dell laptop. On the whole I'm pretty happy with vista - not had any major issues with drivers or applications, although I've had a few blue screens when using winscp on the 32bit one for large file transfers (unlike xp).

I haven't reached the point where I have to wipe and reinstall like I did on xp every 6-12 months, but I think It'll probably happen at some point.

That said, I know I'm taking a performance hit on vista, although I have 4gig of ram in the home desktop and want 64bit for the memory addressing (xp 64 isn't fun from what I've heard and I don't want to play with PAE).

Took a while to get past the parts they moved around just to make it look like they'd changed anything, but I'm mostly ok with that now.

I prefer gnome as a desktop environment to either xp or vista, but I'm hooked into the Adobe Creative suite + a few extras and just plain like the convenience of a large install base platform most of the time.

At school all the fat clients are currently running xp pro - but I installed vista on one to test and it ran fine (upgraded them all to 2gig ram last year - 3ghz P4 dell optiplex).

Don't know about running vista on the clients - I don't think it would be too much of a problem and the performance hit prob wouldn't be noticable for the use the machines get (Flash/Sherston/low req ed apps).

It's one of those try and see things I guess, which is uncertainty you can do without if on a bigger network than mine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    I likey But then again I have been a user of it for years now, all the way through the betas, I'm starting to bore of it now, time for Windows 7 hehe Still have dual boot on my laptop though and it still embarasses me in key moments like the stupid dual display feature on it and key presentations at interviews (a member on here knows what I mean as he was there) not funny, but hey live and learn, don't run Vista on your 4 year old laptop was the lesson!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kesomir View Post
    I use 64bit vista home premium at home and dual boot vista home premium 32bit and ubuntu 8.04 32b on my dell laptop. On the whole I'm pretty happy with vista - not had any major issues with drivers or applications, although I've had a few blue screens when using winscp on the 32bit one for large file transfers (unlike xp).

I haven't reached the point where I have to wipe and reinstall like I did on xp every 6-12 months, but I think It'll probably happen at some point.

That said, I know I'm taking a performance hit on vista, although I have 4gig of ram in the home desktop and want 64bit for the memory addressing (xp 64 isn't fun from what I've heard and I don't want to play with PAE).

Took a while to get past the parts they moved around just to make it look like they'd changed anything, but I'm mostly ok with that now.

I prefer gnome as a desktop environment to either xp or vista, but I'm hooked into the Adobe Creative suite + a few extras and just plain like the convenience of a large install base platform most of the time.

At school all the fat clients are currently running xp pro - but I installed vista on one to test and it ran fine (upgraded them all to 2gig ram last year - 3ghz P4 dell optiplex).

Don't know about running vista on the clients - I don't think it would be too much of a problem and the performance hit prob wouldn't be noticable for the use the machines get (Flash/Sherston/low req ed apps).

It's one of those try and see things I guess, which is uncertainty you can do without if on a bigger network than mine.
    very considered points kesomir, one of the few posts i've read which goes beyond the usual vista sux comments. I agree with you that it's a suck it and see approach for use on a school network, i suspect some of the issues with it as a network operating system are overemphasised....i've been questioning the bizarre affinity with XP for some time now, you'd be forgiven for thinking XP was some rock solid, high performing OS which it clearly isn't beause of the backlash to Vista. XP is no closer to the panacea of what an OS should be in this day and age than NT and 2000 were when they were realised - all modern operating systems are just too high maintenance - that's true for XP as it is for Vista. Until manufacturers truly understand and implement the idea of a self-optimizing OS then the XP vs Vista arguments are lame. Because fundamentally they both suck when you look at it from the point of view of where personal computing is heading. Windows 7 will go no nearer to changing the status go, but.....

Windows 7 is around the corner, and it looks as if Microsoft will be focusing on acting on customer feedback to Vista...7 is in effect going to be an incremental upgrade so maybe that'll be the one to convince XP users to 'upgrade'.

but fwiw i've found the idea of moving over to Vista is more appealing. Microsoft development effors over the next couple of years are focused on vista so improvements in performance will come and little things about the interface i prefer to XP. XP is looking tired GUI wise but I'd still run XP where necessary when i need certain funcitonality or access to certain legacy apps running in a VM....but for day-to-day usage i'd choose Vista myself.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have it on dual boot for a nice and really slow transition while program compatibility is sorted out!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I took the opportunity to migrate 95% of my home computer usage to Linux from XP. So now, I just have XP on a small partition for the occasional game that doesn't yet work with Wine but have only booted into it about 3 times in the last month or 2.

I'm not a big gamer, so I can not see myself buying Vista for any of the latest games. I'm happy with EVE online in Linux at the moment

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 841 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'm not a big gamer.... I'm happy with EVE online in Linux at the moment
    You mean you just have such a huge game it fills your gaming viod That eve is mental stuff.

I have to say I dont mind vista. I use it at home and its fine enough for what I use.

Thank Post

Vista Student laptops

I first installed Vista so when students and staff brought there nice new Vista machines into school i could find my way around them without too much bother.

To be honest its like every new thing no one likes change but the more you use it the more it grows on you.

Microsoft are not going to go backwards with windows, so windows 7 and beyond will be a progression from Vista.

Its personal preference in the end I have it at home and on my tablet but all the other 230 workstations are Xp and will be for a while yet. As an IT professional its almost compulsory to keep up with the new technologies if we are offer full support to our dear users.

Thank Post
    IMO Windows Vista is a great OS for home users and has some significant improvments over XP for that purpose. ie Media Centre, Built-n Search Functionality, Simplified start menu and explorer view. The UI is massively improved for the most part aswell and it has better native support for a lot of devices/standards than Xp ever did (DVD writing, DVD playback/etc).

The problem is that nearly all of these improvement are either useless for business (aero graphics/DX10 and Media Center functionality) or need a good deal of additional work of MS's part to be used to best effect in a server/client environment (ie. start menu and instant search)

Thank Post
    I have ultimate running on a Laptop at home, which I barely use other than that - I am still happy with XP - can't see a reason to change over.

PEO
    Thank Post
    I have Windows Vista Ultimate running my Multimedia PC for the familly 48inch TV. Does the Job really well. Vista runs great with good hardware to support it, pluss with the latest sp1 and adittional updates, it does just fine, saying that, I would not want to implement it in a buisness enviroment just yet.

Kev

Thank Post
    For home use? I quite like it. It does it's job. I think I might have been better off sticking with XP, but I'm not sure i'd downgrade.

However, I wouldn't even be too hot about using it at work myself, let alone running a school off of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have Vista Ultimate (32 bit) on my desktop at work, but it still has dammed annoying bugs and does nothing that XP did not do (apart from run slower with twice the hardware requirements).
    My current 2 annoyances are:

A. Vista claiming it does not have access\permissions to a folder when installing software only to click 'Retry' and it carry on as normal.

B. When copying files over 2GB in size over the LAN it simply abandons the task at about 95%. Not good for an administrators computer.

Vista simply does not have any features I require over XP and the only reason I'm running it is to get my teeth into it before my users begin to get new kit with it on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only installed Vista to get to grips with it before I was asked to support it.

Doesn't seem to have any advantage over XP, pretty much does the same things, only slower. Some very annoying issues out me off it pretty quickly. Slow start up times, slow close down time, reinstalling devices every time I booted, driver incompatability. No its not for me. Any Vista machines coming in get XP on them quick sharp.

Give me a nice linux distro every time

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    But when did Microsoft provide the best applications?

The only native MS apps I run is Notepad and Windows Explorer.
    And even those two are decidedly average when you look at what options available on open source with file explorers and barebones text editors.

Let's not kid ourselves, M$ has never been about best of breed....it's all about convenience, market share and marketing. They took the lead due to the ineptitude of those responsible for the unix workstation market and some decidedly shakey business and strategic decisions at Apple - everyone else has been playing catch up ever since forced in some way to play nice with windows and to cater for the largely Windows centric corporate IT base due to the monopoly. I wouldn't underestimate Microsofts ability to shift Vista or atleast shift Vista licenses to business in big numbers, and the leverage they have with the OEMs is also crucial in getting Vista out there....whether people want it or not.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    The only native MS apps I run is Notepad and Windows Explorer.
    Thats really funny in light of the rest of your post ! -notepad and explorer are rubbish!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast