+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Vista Won't reconnect to Wireless after Reboot in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Question Vista Won't reconnect to Wireless after Reboot

I have a Dell Latitude D520 with integrated Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Wireless with Vista Ultimate SP1.

I’m using WEP with the SSID unbroadcast. I have set the wireless connection up and checked the boxes to ‘Save this network’ and ‘Start this connection automatically’ but when I reboot the machine it will not reconnect to the wireless access point – I have click ‘connect’ on the ‘Unidentified Network’ in ‘connect to a network’ and then type in the SSID and HEX security code every time my laptop starts up. This is doing my head in!! What am I missing? Can anyone help?

I have a suite of laptops running XP and all are setup on this wireless network and connect without any problems.

Signal strength is never below 80% and link quality is about 90%. Everytime I reboot I have to set up my wireless network again.

I have downloaded the latest drivers from Intel to no avail. There doesn’t seem to be a connection manager with the new Intel software so it’s using the Windows set.

Thank Post
    Hi.

Not sure if you are aware, but you really should not be using WEP. It is not secure. You should be using WPA with a 21+ Key password or better still, using WPA2 if possible.

Some interesting videos here and here and here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cybernought View Post
    I have a Dell Latitude D520 with integrated Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Wireless with Vista Ultimate SP1.

I’m using WEP with the SSID unbroadcast. I have set the wireless connection up and checked the boxes to ‘Save this network’ and ‘Start this connection automatically’ but when I reboot the machine it will not reconnect to the wireless access point – I have click ‘connect’ on the ‘Unidentified Network’ in ‘connect to a network’ and then type in the SSID and HEX security code every time my laptop starts up. This is doing my head in!! What am I missing? Can anyone help?

I have a suite of laptops running XP and all are setup on this wireless network and connect without any problems.

Signal strength is never below 80% and link quality is about 90%. Everytime I reboot I have to set up my wireless network again.

I have downloaded the latest drivers from Intel to no avail. There doesn’t seem to be a connection manager with the new Intel software so it’s using the Windows set.
    I too keep having this problem on my new Lenovo laptop. Even using the Lenovo connection manager doesn't resolve it. Always got to click on unidentified network, enter the SSID and passphrase. I have it setup to use WPA.

Thought it might have been linked to the known Wifi and DHCP issue that Vista has, but even after hacking the reg, I am still having this issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread