+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Vista Delayed in Technical; Just seen this article on the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4831374.stm Vista has now been put back to January next year. I did ...
    Thank Post

Vista Delayed

Just seen this article on the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4831374.stm

Vista has now been put back to January next year. I did think that later this year was being optomistic!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Vista Delayed

And in the meantime the rest of the IT industry rapidly dissapears over the horizon. Microsoft rapdily need to provide home apps and XP add-ons, but this kind of delay (even if it is only 2 months will push them over a mental barrier which has it realeased in an entirely different year to that which was origianally promised. From a consumer point of view XP was relased in 2001 and Vista in 2007. 6 years between a major OS release!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Read this morning an interesting discussion about this on slashdot:

http://slashdot.org/articles/06/03/21/2331210.shtml

Thank Post

If they do release in January, there is going to be a lot of upset people who bought PCs at Christmas with XP on, only to find their nice new shiny PC is out of date!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good point. I'll bet laptop and PC sales will be well down over the xmas period. Dell will have something to say about that!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I liked this thread on the WINE mailing list,

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine...ch/045571.html

"So there we have it - this appears to be the first release in which they simply started dropping APIs."

"And, therefore, the first time for which we can categorically state that Wine will be more compatible with Windows applications than Windows itself."

"Not to mention that they're handing a near-fatal blow to OpenGL support, too."

etc,

Thank Post

:twisted: I'm not complaining :twisted:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts

That's what I was thinking! Surely it would be more logical to release new PC's with Vista installed to the public before Christmas then supply it to businesses in the new year. I cannot (in my view) see many organisations buying, testing and deploying Vista before Christmas. It's just too short a time scale and isn't realistic at all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Good point. I'll bet laptop and PC sales will be well down over the xmas period. Dell will have something to say about that!
    Unlikely. Microsoft have historically always offered free upgrades to newer versions of Windows if a person buys a PC about three months before a new release of Windows. They did it with 98, ME and XP. I don't see why they wouldn't do that with Vista as well.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Norphy
    Unlikely. Microsoft have historically always offered free upgrades to newer versions of Windows if a person buys a PC about three months before a new release of Windows. They did it with 98, ME and XP. I don't see why they wouldn't do that with Vista as well.
    Dunno about that, I suspect that sales would be down. BUT, when Vista is released and if there is a free upgrade, you can be sure we are going to get a lot of extra visitors saying 'I had this PC for Christmas and I've got this Vista thingy - what do I do????'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I KNEW IT!!! :twisted: I even took a screenshot of the Vista homepage that says "Coming 2006" because I was certain that it wouldn't

Thank Post

So, to "improve security" is the reasoning behind the delay, wonder how badly it's been leaked?.......

Chris

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

TBH, as an official Beta Tester of it for Microsoft, I feel that Vista is in poor shape still, and they were going to have to pull some amazing strings to get it working better. We get a new build once a month for it (with Server 2003 R2 it was sometimes 1 a week!!)

The number of people I have spoken to via MSN and e-mail outside of the closed /confidential newsgroups they host for us that say the same things, its crashing far to often, on brand new kit. Its hanging, its freezing, many big name apps are still not working properly such as Adobe Photoshop CS2, and Illustrator, Macromeida etc.... Key publishers and current, latest version are just not working, even slightly in some cases!

The big hardware companys are making beta drivers (such as ATI, Nvidia, Via, Realtek, Intel etc) to support major things like chipsets, major sound cards (lets face it there are a huge number of Realtek on-board sound setups!) and they work in one release, and not the next, and it can be 2 or 3 full builds before they start to work again! Now fine the drivers from the big names are all Beta, but its MSFT that break the code, and then the big names start to change theres again, and then MSFT change it back.

At work we were looking at a Crimbo deploy originally, if it got a Sept launch to Corperate customers, as 4 months is enough time for us to test it on Academic stuff which is where it will start the ball off, but I realistically expect not to see it on PCs in PC world etc and for purchase until Easter 2007, and its still going to be missing many many features, so I would say its going to go further back. I can pritty much confirm that we will have an official SP3 for XP and SP2 if not SP3 for Server 2003 (as this will shove the LH server back as well). So Billy G its not all good news today, so who knows where we will be in 12 months time, will I be on Vista or XP SP3? Who knows!

metalmonkey

I agree with you John.

I've just installed the December 5270 build (it's my first use of Vista) and I am astonished they thought it would be ready for 2007.

While the general use is ok - the moment you want to use anything real - like CS2, DW, it throws a wobbler.

My initial worries are not the general use of it, but more the installation.

It took me 2 attempts on my laptop (which was a fresh, formatted HDD), and on my desktop PC, a high-end beast, it's still not working. It's corrupted my MBR 3 times and won't even get past the initial setup screen now without locking my PC completely up.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect it to be an easy ride - but still I thought it'll be better than this, considering they originally planned for it to be released in a number of months. At least I understand why they've put it back to January.

I can't wait for the final though. It's looking amazing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

I would not bother with 5270 as its so "old" now, you are missing out on the good stuff (or actually, the bad stuff)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast