+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Vista Thread, Vista Delayed in Technical; Vista does look great, but I'm sorry to say I found nothing new functionality wise that's going to make me ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts

Re: Vista Delayed

Vista does look great, but I'm sorry to say I found nothing new functionality wise that's going to make me want to upgrade. Build 5270 is fairly relevant as it's what MS consider to be feature complete so what we see now is what we'll get. Very disappointing (in my opinion).

The fact many popular or common applications such as the well known Photoshop CS2 (as mentioned above) throws a wobbler is a little worrying. The difference between 2000 and XP OS is minimal and again this seems to be the case with XP and Vista. Bearing in mind XP was released in 2001, MS have greatly disappointed me in what they've delivered with Vista.

The product will inevitably sell well in the public domain, because consumers buy a computer which 99.999% of the time is pre-loaded with the latest and greatest version of MS Windows, but I feel in the corporate arena many will remain static with 2000 and XP or of course migrate to Linux. I believe Windows 2000 still has as much as 48% of the corporate market and XP with around 35%.

IE7, MP11, Windows Defender and Office 2007 will all be available and compatible with XP SP2, so it gives me less of an incentive to upgrade. Maybe Vista is more secure internally, but will the average Joe Bloggs care about this? No not really. I think at the rate we're going we'll be well into 2007 before Vista Final is finally born.

metalmonkey

I'd like to use the lastest release of beta, but unfortunately, we're waiting on Technet to produce the goods.

Thank Post

Trouble with all this is that MS are in danger of losing a lot of credibility by saying it'll be available on one date, then another, then another, oo it's not quite ready yet, the dog ate it! etc.

The other point is that I can't see the need for Vista at the mo. XP is running on my machines quite nicely thank you. It's not like it was going from 98 / ME to XP.

Thank Post

I agree nawbus. MS's decision to move all future OS's to an NT kernal was a good idea as 2000/XP are by far superior from a security and stability perspective compared to 95/98.

MS have most probably made various enhancements to NT6, but again, most people are not technical and most people don't care. I think MS have failed miserably to enhance the user experience when it comes to functionality. Visually MS have improved things a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are applications out there which can transform XP to look like Vista in many respects.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

http://www.stardock.com/

WindowBlinds + WindowFX gets you the vista like skin and silly transitional effects. It doesn't get you a fully vectorised desktop but meh....

Thank Post

Sorry, so you have to buy windows and then buy something else to make it 'look' good??

Thank Post

lol not at all linuxgirlie! It's just that some users like all these fancy graphics, whereas me personally I'm not too fussed

Thank Post

**Has an addiction for 'modding' her linux box at home...god love those transparent taskbars they are soo cool

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

same here. Windows does have some catching up to do in the looks department.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

Windows Vista availability
    • Business in November 2006
    • Consumer in January 2007
    We remain on target to deliver an end-user Beta of Microsoft Windows Vista in the second quarter of 2006. Our current schedule delivers Windows Vista in the second half of 2006. We continue to prioritise customer and Partner satisfaction for broad availability of Windows Vista; as such, we will be making Vista available directly to our business customers in November via our Volume Licensing programme and targeting broad consumer availability and new PCs in January of 2007.
    Gold and Certified Partners will be able to access the Vista Beta through their Partner Programme MSDN subscription. To maximise your business opportunities, our launch activity will direct customers to the Microsoft Resource Directory to find a Gold or Certified Partner.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12