+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Vista: Is it here to stay? in Technical; What with the rumours of Windows 7 being rushed forward what does this spell for the future of Vista - ...
    Thank Post

Vista: Is it here to stay?

What with the rumours of Windows 7 being rushed forward what does this spell for the future of Vista - will it even get the chance to mature into a usable OS or be pulled for a new version before it even gets to SP2...

Your thoughts...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm hoping it'll be like what happened when Windows ME was released (which was also terrible). Microsoft then went on to produce Windows 2000. Which was the best desktop OS they've ever produced IMHO.

3. Thanks to Geoff from:

farmerste (18th April 2008)

Thank Post
    I wonder if MS will ditch a few Win7 features and rush the next version out with less changes just a load of fixes to make Win7 what Vista should of been. By then the UAC hammer should of forced enough third party software vendors to write their software properly instead of roaming all over the system like a 9x app. Same goes for the driver model, MS have made some big changes and it's taking time to adjust this is why they eventually punted Vista out the door or they could of waited for ever for things that are out of their control. This way third partys are forced into a new way of doing things whereas before they just kept punting out XP compatible content.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personal opinion is that Vista will just turn out to be a stop gap until the next version that will include all the things that Vista was supposed to have but got cut.

Vista has done a spectacular job of failing to interest people and when you have a XP, which is actually fairly decent after 2 services packs and still does pretty much everything you want, why move to Vista?

6. Thanks to sparkeh from:

farmerste (18th April 2008)

Thank Post
    @Geoff.. I agree that 2000 was better than ME (ME seemed to be 98 with a few 2000 features thrown into it), but i woul dhave to say that XP (esp with SP2) has been the better OS...

Vista is a good OS for the HOME, but not really for businesses..
    I think MS need to go back to the Home/Business split with 2 completely different OS's for each (like 9x and NT/2000 were.)

XP did work well as both a home user and a business client.. but Vista doesn't.. the new Look & Feel of Aero is really just a gimmick and will probably be disabled for most businesses, and why no support for XP themes?

No Vista belongs in the home. despite the "Business" and "Enterprise" editions, i dont think its really going to work in this environment..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Vista is a good OS for the HOME, but not really for businesses..
    I think MS need to go back to the Home/Business split with 2 completely different OS's for each (like 9x and NT/2000 were.)
    QFT!!

Definitely agree 100%. I think MS should really be looking at using the 'home' version of the OS as a testbed for new features that people would find useful but where if issues creep in it doesn't take down an entire business network! At the end of the day if a program crashes once a week on my home PC it's not the end of the world but that same crash once a week on 500 PC's at work would be completele and total disaster!
    If anything it's logical that the 'business' client version of the Windows OS should be a step behind and less fully featured than the home version. The fact that most business/schools are quite happy to stay with XP just goes to prove that point.
    There's also the problem that MS want to release a new version of windows every 2-3 years but this just isn't a realistic figure in a work environment due to the time taken (and cost) to test and update software (and potentially hardware) for a new OS.
    I'd much prefer to see MS perhaps update the home version every 3 years and the 'business' version perhaps only every 5-6 years. Something like that sounds a lot more logical and realistic than what they're currently planning which is a new windows version every couple of years!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not only does it not make sense for us to 'upgrade' (using the term lightly there) every 2-3 years, but they can't possibly (as demonstrated) release a stable and worthwhile version in this short time span.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personal opinion, it'd never happen, but...

...M$ Should, dump the Windows Kernal and follow Apples lead. Take a Linux/BSD Kernel and pump some money into SAMBA and WINE for 'backward compatibility. Let's face it such solution would have about the same level of backward compatibility as Vista has now.

They could easily code up a XPesque GUI for X.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    ...Let's face it such solution would have about the same level of backward compatibility as Vista has now. ...

I reckon Vista will be a "sweep under the carpet" job, like ME ended up.

Thank Post
    ...M$ Should, dump the Windows Kernal
    I can see the MS shareholders faces now when they say "we've decided to stop making money" :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I can see the MS shareholders faces now when they say "we've decided to stop making money" :-)
    Did the Apple shareholders say "let's stop making money"? - no. There is a president set in using a FOSS kernel and then putting your closed source propriety code on top of that.

Nobody said the GUI had to be open source. And there are probably other area of the OS that M$ can call there own and still charge $$$ for.

I'm just saying that Windows can be greatly improved by starting again with a *nix foundation and SAMBA/WINE (with M$ input) for backwards compatibility.

Thank Post
    Don't get me wrong here i'm not supporting MS but that would cost them loads in the short term, much better they keep plugging away with a system that they CONTROL. MS do actually have a dept that look at FOSS solutions and i've no doubt they have plans involving that (if singularity doesn't pan out).

I don't think Linux will ever fit in with the likes of MS or Apple for that matter which is why they went for an alternative. I like Linux but i'm afraid that the community do as much harm as good they scare companies away.

Oh i'll also add Apple don't make money from their OS and certainly not back before they made the move to OSX.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 16th April 2008 at 04:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Microsoft will be making Windows XP available for Eee-type laptops until at least 2010, in attempt to subdue the growing linux market. They plan on making a lower resources XP version too.
    I don't think this spells the end for XP just yet.
    With Windows7 due 2009, before XP support stops - is good enough evidence for me that vista can be binned.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Microsoft will be making Windows XP available for Eee-type laptops until at least 2010, in attempt to subdue the growing linux market. They plan on making a lower resources XP version too.
    I don't think this spells the end for XP just yet.
    With Windows7 due 2009, before XP support stops - is good enough evidence for me that vista can be binned.
    While reports on vista take-up vary. i found this article on vista take up in large enteprises at the end of last year...

Windows Vista take-up crawls at snail's pace - Software - Breaking Business and Technology News at silicon.com

Interesting that the vista uprades were from those moving off windows 2000...i must say that does surprise me somewhat. Perhaps an upgrade to XP would have felt a bit like preserving the status quo

I think a LOT has changed since the end of last year, that figure of 25% moving this year is probably going to be less than half that i would imagine following the lukewarm response to SP1 but more importantly the anticipated 2009 release of Windows 7. I think there will be companies for whom Vista SP1 is the right fit at the right time, but 10% of enteprise users on Vista would be a 'success' after all the negativity.

I wonder if one of the reasons companies are rolling out vista is some of the deployment goodies in Vista Enterprise such as WinRE, for those planning complex large scale rollouts it could be the killer feature they're willing to buy into.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interesting that the vista uprades were from those moving off windows 2000...i must say that does surprise me somewhat. Perhaps an upgrade to XP would have felt a bit like preserving the status quo
    I'd imagine it's because the W2k machines are the ones that have come up for replacement on the businesses 5 year replacement cycle. Assuming that they moved to XP after SP1 was released? They are just buying machines with Vista Business (I wonder how many machines got XP installed on them as soon as they hit the shop floor?).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast