+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Deploying printers - XP/Vista compatible method in Technical; I need a method of deploying printers to users that will work for both XP and Vista. I have vbs ...
    Thank Post

Deploying printers - XP/Vista compatible method

I need a method of deploying printers to users that will work for both XP and Vista.

I have vbs user logon scripts that work for XP to connect them to printers.

The trouble is, if these scripts run when the users logs onto Vista, all they see is a blank screen with no way out of it.

I found out that if I log on as local admin and run the script manually (to see what's happening) a dialogue box appears asking the user if they want to install the printer driver. This is what's happening for the users (I think), except they don't get to see the dialogue box.

Is there a way of automatically accepting the driver installation for them so the script runs to connect their printers?

At the moment I'm investigating the Deployed Printers section in the new Vista GPOs, but not having much success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thank Post

Now its working

Just tried it again, and the users now get the dialogue box asking them if they want to install the printer driver.

I couldn't get it to work for the past two days, now it is - it must have been something else causing the problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is an option in GP (under computer config - windows settings - security - local policys - user rights assignment - load and unload device drivers) to set which users are allowed to install drivers, you could try adding your users group to that.

edit: looks like you fixed it anyway, I really should refresh the page before I post

Thank Post
    While the above posters method may work there is actually a better solution if we are just dealing with printers. Again it will resource GP. Under user config, admin temp, control panel, printers. You want to enable point and print restrictions. Enter the fully qualified domain name where the printers will be installed from. Then there are two drop down menus. You want to change those to "not prompt for elevation". This will fix your problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    There is an option in GP (under computer config - windows settings - security - local policys - user rights assignment - load and unload device drivers) to set which users are allowed to install drivers, you could try adding your users group to that.

edit: looks like you fixed it anyway, I really should refresh the page before I post
    Thanks. The problem came back, so it wasn't what I thought it was. I'm still working on it, building a new GPO from scratch and testing frequently to try and find the cause.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jkuzo View Post
    You want to change those to "not prompt for elevation". This will fix your problem.
    I'll have a look at that too. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    You can deploy printers using GPOs with Windows Server 2003 R2 or Windows Server 2008. They can be deployed per user or computer.

I've only done this at lots of sites with 2003 and XP, but not Vista (as yet).

Thank Post

More findings

I've found that with GP I can deploy printers to the computer no problem, but if I use GP (either the new Vista method or a vbs script) it's a disaster. Either they can't logon or they just get no printers (just occassionally they do get them, though).

I've also found that in Vista, Admins can esaily add their own printers. But, if non-admins try to do anything with printers they get a dialogue box saying "the local spool service is not running".

This gets worse. I wanted to get this sorted before everyone get back on Monday.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jkuzo View Post
    While the above posters method may work there is actually a better solution if we are just dealing with printers. Again it will resource GP. Under user config, admin temp, control panel, printers. You want to enable point and print restrictions. Enter the fully qualified domain name where the printers will be installed from. Then there are two drop down menus. You want to change those to "not prompt for elevation". This will fix your problem.
    It didn't! Sorry, it had no effect on the problem. There must be another cause. Thanks anyway!

Thank Post

Bad driver?

I think I've narrowed it down. The print spooler service on the client is probably stopping because of a driver that is incompatible with Vista. I'll have to go through all the printers on the network, getting Vista to connect to each to find it. I'll leave it until Monday.

I may be talking to myself here. Comes from spending a week locked in a school alone with just me and Vista. Edugeek has been my only friend... Must go home... See outside world...

Thank Post
    You're right, it might be to do with drivers themselves. On your print server if you right click a printer, choose Properties and then the Sharing Tab. By clicking the Additional Drivers button, you can see what drivers you have available for distribution.

I would also recommend you stick to using GPOs rather than scripts.

Thank Post

Fixed!

It was the drivers. I had old drivers on our networked Toshiba copier/scanner/printer.

I've upgraded our print server to use the new Print Management console (available from Server 2003 R2), and upgraded the drivers on there.

At the moment most of our machines are XP. I've read about installing PushPrinterConnections.exe on XP clients to make them read the Vista GPOs for deployed printers. I'll look at that later; but for now, scripts work.

Thanks everyone!

Thank Post

vista and printers

i added a shared network printer onto a machine running windows visturd, and the server rebooted !!!

Thank Post
    You don't actually install PushPrinterConnections.exe. You simply set it as a logon script (the exe itself) within Active Directory. This exe then dynamically adds the printers each time a user logs on. This is a requirement for Print Management to work correctly.

15. Thanks to Michael from:

OverWorked (8th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You don't actually install PushPrinterConnections.exe. You simply set it as a logon script (the exe itself) within Active Directory. This exe then dynamically adds the printers each time a user logs on. This is a requirement for Print Management to work correctly.
    Thanks. I hadn't read about it in too much detail! I'll note it for when I do get round to doing it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast