+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Windows Vista Thread, What Vista Breaks in Technical; Hi I have been testing a vista box on the network with all the programs we use in school and ...
  1. #1
    ricki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,475
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 164 Times in 157 Posts
    Rep Power
    52

    What Vista Breaks

    Hi

    I have been testing a vista box on the network with all the programs we use in school and have found it breaks or does not run properly the following.

    Older versions of gimp download the latest and it appears to work,
    Retina scan
    Focus a technology program
    HACCP
    Speedtest
    Exambase
    Autograph
    Image resizer
    MT thumbnail
    Channel analysis
    Elastrolab
    Mapping skills
    Silent vnc but ultra vnc works but will have to find a way of deploying it.

    GPMC when service pack 1 install removes program. Am downloading latest version and trying that now.

    Having problems with printers not installing automatically unless you are signed in as admin. Will have to have a look at putting extra drivers on the print server.

    Please could other people post what it breaks and if you find solutions.

    Also I have run some speed tests with a machine on xp and vista and it halves the speed of the machine.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Richard

  2. #2
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Only thing I've found so far is RM Tutor 2.

  3. #3
    Unvalidated User PatBoland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    37
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post

    Having problems with printers not installing automatically unless you are signed in as admin. Will have to have a look at putting extra drivers on the print server.
    I have 45 Vista teacher laptops and installing printers as the user is a problem. If you install the printer as Administrator first then the user can add the printer but if the user is the first to install the Administrator credentials are required. Is this a problem or normal? Same for programs, which is ok and expected, as I have not given users local admin rights.

  4. #4
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,491
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 502 Times in 442 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by PatBoland View Post
    I have 45 Vista teacher laptops and installing printers as the user is a problem. If you install the printer as Administrator first then the user can add the printer but if the user is the first to install the Administrator credentials are required. Is this a problem or normal? Same for programs, which is ok and expected, as I have not given users local admin rights.
    Certainly in XP users are allowed to add printers, but not printer drivers, I assume this is unchanged on Vista. I run our printer script during startup and at logon, the startup runs as system so the driver is installed for when the users logs in.

  5. #5

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,297
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Rep Power
    344
    Here's a very long Vista RTM compatibility list, which should still be applicable for Vista SP1.

  6. #6

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,777
    Thank Post
    960
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    456
    Ricki: are you testing these using custom MSI's/packages or original installers?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,158
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 529 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Certainly in XP users are allowed to add printers, but not printer drivers
    Not quite true. If you have an XP machine (with no printer drivers installed) and you log on as a non-admin users you can connect to any *network* printer even if the driver is not previously installed. What you can't do is connect to a local printer.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,158
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 529 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Also I have run some speed tests with a machine on xp and vista and it halves the speed of the machine.
    Things like this are among my pet hates :-)

    What have you tested that was slower and what spec of machine? eg - power on to logon screen? Logon screen to desktop ready? Loading word? copying files? Saving files? Rendering 3D graphics?

    Vista will need a machine of much higher spec than XP (eg a 2.4GHz Celeron with 512Mb of RAM is quite usable with XP for most classroom use; you'd probably want a 2GHz core 2 Duo with 2Gb of RAM to get comparable performance from Vista!) but if you're using a high spec machine and most things are still very slow then something seems wrong.

  9. #9
    ricki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,475
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 164 Times in 157 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    I am using original install msi and setup programs.

    I have just managed to get the gpmc to work on my machine thanks to edugeekerd and can see and alter policies.

    I have copied the files to the sysvol folder in the correct place and have created a new test policy for the and the results and the modeling say they have applied even gpresults /r say its been applied. But guess what it does not affect the settings. I have also created and it says the Policy definitions (ADMX files) retrieved from the central store so I am guessing that I must have the files in the correct place. I have read that you have to upgrade the schema to get all the features. I have read the information and the extra setting dont appear to be anything I need. Have other people upgraded the schema or do you have any more ideas.

  10. #10
    ricki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,475
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 164 Times in 157 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Things like this are among my pet hates :-)

    What have you tested that was slower and what spec of machine? eg - power on to logon screen? Logon screen to desktop ready? Loading word? copying files? Saving files? Rendering 3D graphics?

    Vista will need a machine of much higher spec than XP (eg a 2.4GHz Celeron with 512Mb of RAM is quite usable with XP for most classroom use; you'd probably want a 2GHz core 2 Duo with 2Gb of RAM to get comparable performance from Vista!) but if you're using a high spec machine and most things are still very slow then something seems wrong.
    I am running a dual core with 2 gig of ram and its half of the speed. I think I will have to turn off some of the extra features.

    Richard

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,158
    Thank Post
    116
    Thanked 529 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    I am running a dual core with 2 gig of ram and its half of the speed. I think I will have to turn off some of the extra features.

    Richard
    But *what* is half the speed?? Which process did you time to find out it was half as fast??

  12. #12
    Joanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,080
    Thank Post
    223
    Thanked 254 Times in 203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    17
    Rep Power
    118
    I've got an AMD 64 x2 5600+ with 4GB RAM...

    Vista doesn't fly.... kinda dissapointing really!! Although I do like vista alot!

  13. #13
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Can we drag this back to the topic which the OP started - namely what applications have people had problems with. There's enough Vista-bashing topics out there already without converting this into another one...

  14. #14
    farmerste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    339
    Thank Post
    100
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    22

    my view

    The will to LIVE ?


    ;-)

  15. #15
    Sirbendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,298
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 203 Times in 154 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Itself, upon installation of updates/SP1. ;-)



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vista GP's
    By originofsymmetry in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 9th November 2007, 09:35 AM
  2. Paid breaks/lunchbreaks?
    By duncane in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 3rd September 2007, 10:08 PM
  3. Win 2K3 SP2 Breaks RIS
    By Dos_Box in forum Windows
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 20th March 2007, 05:11 PM
  4. Morning/lunch breaks?
    By pinemarten in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22nd December 2005, 08:33 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •