+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
Windows Vista Thread, Is Vista as bad as they make out? in Technical; Originally Posted by Sirbendy ooh, you cynic. Marriage brings boobs though..not all bad.. OK, OK...I'll go and finish this imaging.. ...
  1. #31
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    ooh, you cynic. Marriage brings boobs though..not all bad..

    OK, OK...I'll go and finish this imaging..
    Installing Vista is a lot like marrying heather mills if you're an ex-beatle. It's in you're life for five minutes before you're so pissed off with it you want to throw it in the garbage and never see it again, by then it's too late to go back to the shop for a refund and you'll be left out of pocket whatever you decide to do.

    Vista = Heather Mills
    XP = Linda McCartney (except XP isn't dead...yet)

    Aye thankyou...

  2. #32
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,196
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Microsofts problem is not lack of talent it's untalented people in the wrong places undoing all of the good work, i know of the 'massive' arguments between the Windows Live email dev team and the advertising team. One is trying to make good use of the available screen real estate then some git comes along and insists on a massive ad banner across the top of the screen.

    This is the difference between Windows and OSX, Apple don't have to make money from OSX they're a hardware supplier. MS on the other hand need to make money from all of their software (well rely on big income from some products anyway). I suspect this is the same problem that will mar any attempt by Google to bring out a decent alternative, except that Google can rely on thousands of free workers to do most of their R&D ;-)


    Damn is it that time, i make it beer o'clock. See you all later people and have a good bank hol :-)
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 20th March 2008 at 05:02 PM.

  3. #33

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,631
    Thank Post
    890
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    441
    @cookie: Sp2 firewall was turned on by default with sp2.

    I have vista on a laptop and a pc at home and its fine for me. UAC does not bother me that much and generally everything works okay. Both are older models and nothing fancy.
    The biggest problems I had were all related to poor initial release drivers but things seem fine now.
    The thing I would miss the most is then new start menu. Love just typing a few letters in a hitting enter but thats not to say I couldnt live without it.
    Its a lot like most bling orientated features, not essential but its nice (and this includes Mac *bling* features)

    Sp1 did fix my file copy problems and everything is fine now.

    Generally its not ready for schools yet but its getting better and pc specs are better (this summer we drop in 2gb of ram on new pc's)

  4. #34
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    untalented people in the wrong places undoing all of the good work, ;-)
    Talking of untalented people in the wrong places at Microsoft...is Bill gates still CEO ? ;-)

    Apples efforts with OSX are all the more remarkable considering they're core business has been as an online music retailer for several years. I wouldn't be surprised if the computer biz hadn't turned a profit until very recently.

  5. #35
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,196
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    @ ZeroHour: yes i know i was talking about the previous 3 years when the 'Internet connection firewall' was turned off by default. BIG mistake. Might not of made it super clear though ;-)


    Apple bought a good OS and have added too it but they have a much easier job than MS. However all credit to them if only the Linux world was improving as fast.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 20th March 2008 at 05:14 PM.

  6. #36


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Windows has had a built in firewall since windows 2000, it wasn't new to XP.
    theres a howto here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309798

  7. #37
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,196
    Thank Post
    392
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    74
    Yeh i remeber chuckling to my self about that when doing the 2K Pro cert, it was hardly user friendly though.

  8. #38
    button_ripple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Luton
    Posts
    346
    Thank Post
    93
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    I have absolutely no problem with Vista. No going to put it on the network at school yet because our staff hate change!

    Don't mind user account control, just proves that computers haven't taken over yet if people are still making them ask for your permission to do something.

    Not sure why Microsoft programmed it to ask when you started something. It should prompt when the computer does something itself, i.e: auto updates, backups, scheduled tasks, etc...

    Like i said, no problems!

  9. #39
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,309
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 141 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Well when it was first released i tried it on some machines, and vista was actually quicker on the same hardware for most parts, but the annoyances of this OS are so great it needs binning. (These are all pre SP1)

    1) Why when joined to a domain and you type "Administrator" in the username box, it switches from the domain as the logon to, to the local pc. Bring msgina back! the new domain logon screen sucks.

    2) Why does it sit there for minutes and minutes saying "Preparing your desktop" (no roaming profiles). I do not have time to wait, i need to use the PC.

    3) Why by default are the desktop icons set for blind people?

    4) 2 Identical PC's one with XP one with Vista. Double click the shared area on both pc's XP pc in 1 second flat loads the shared area on XP has loaded. Vista 2 minutes later is still slowly loading it

    5) Explorer, why does it crash and hang so much. The amount of not respondings its not funny

    6) The interface is nothing short of cluttered. Just browsing files hurts my head now , it was more efficient and easier in Windows 3.1s File Manager.

    7) Why in explorer must you try and preview every file as thumbnail, then when you turn it off, pictures do not show as thumbnails, the one file type you do want as thumnails.

    8) More wizards, as if XP did not have enough! Vista i'm not an idiot, i do not need help!

    9) any need for god knows how many different versions of Vista? 2 Max, even thats too many. MS you had it right with NT Workstation and NT Server.

    10) System requirments, they are stupid. Why do i need 1gb ram just to play a DVD without jerking? Its somthing Windows 2000 and XP could do on a lot less, the OS is just bloated, and needs stupid requiments to do basic tasks. Might get an old PC out maybe a 500Mhz, 256 Meg RAM, i can surf the internet, play a DVD, word process, file manage, all fine. Now i need 2Gig of RAM, beefy graphics card and Xeon processor just to do the same.

    11) File copy, how many days is it going to take? File copying and network share access has worked flawlessly for over 15 years, Vista comes along, can not do basics!

    12) So many applications not working (not really vista's fault, but not good when the other list of problems are there)

    13) Product Activation. Its too much effort now, i do not like it, KMS Server and all that faffing.

    I see XP being here for MANY years yet to come. Its mature, works, and does everything needed. All MS needed to do was put the Areo interface on XP. But no, they have made a right mess, this is the only version of Windows i have ever hated. Yes i liked Windows ME

  10. Thanks to Quackers from:

    farmerste (7th April 2008)

  11. #40
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Well when it was first released i tried it on some machines, and vista was actually quicker on the same hardware for most parts, but the annoyances of this OS are so great it needs binning. (These are all pre SP1)

    1) Why when joined to a domain and you type "Administrator" in the username box, it switches from the domain as the logon to, to the local pc. Bring msgina back! the new domain logon screen sucks.

    2) Why does it sit there for minutes and minutes saying "Preparing your desktop" (no roaming profiles). I do not have time to wait, i need to use the PC.

    3) Why by default are the desktop icons set for blind people?

    4) 2 Identical PC's one with XP one with Vista. Double click the shared area on both pc's XP pc in 1 second flat loads the shared area on XP has loaded. Vista 2 minutes later is still slowly loading it

    5) Explorer, why does it crash and hang so much. The amount of not respondings its not funny

    6) The interface is nothing short of cluttered. Just browsing files hurts my head now , it was more efficient and easier in Windows 3.1s File Manager.

    7) Why in explorer must you try and preview every file as thumbnail, then when you turn it off, pictures do not show as thumbnails, the one file type you do want as thumnails.

    8) More wizards, as if XP did not have enough! Vista i'm not an idiot, i do not need help!

    9) any need for god knows how many different versions of Vista? 2 Max, even thats too many. MS you had it right with NT Workstation and NT Server.

    10) System requirments, they are stupid. Why do i need 1gb ram just to play a DVD without jerking? Its somthing Windows 2000 and XP could do on a lot less, the OS is just bloated, and needs stupid requiments to do basic tasks. Might get an old PC out maybe a 500Mhz, 256 Meg RAM, i can surf the internet, play a DVD, word process, file manage, all fine. Now i need 2Gig of RAM, beefy graphics card and Xeon processor just to do the same.

    11) File copy, how many days is it going to take? File copying and network share access has worked flawlessly for over 15 years, Vista comes along, can not do basics!

    12) So many applications not working (not really vista's fault, but not good when the other list of problems are there)

    13) Product Activation. Its too much effort now, i do not like it, KMS Server and all that faffing.

    I see XP being here for MANY years yet to come. Its mature, works, and does everything needed. All MS needed to do was put the Areo interface on XP. But no, they have made a right mess, this is the only version of Windows i have ever hated. Yes i liked Windows ME
    I think you mean the visually impaired, not blind

    I agree with everything else you say especially the last paragraph.- do an XP design refresh and you've got something miles better than Vista brought bang up to date. As for the file manager, yes it confused the hell out of me aswell. After years of use in millions of installations how difficult is it for anyone to understand full file paths, what on earth is the need for all the dumbing down.

  12. #41

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,991
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    4) 2 Identical PC's one with XP one with Vista. Double click the shared area on both pc's XP pc in 1 second flat loads the shared area on XP has loaded. Vista 2 minutes later is still slowly loading it
    Interesting, pre sp1 my laptop running vista was massively quicker at opening shares on a limited bandwidth wireless connection. I agree with most of the other points though especially the activation rubbish.

    I think the worst thing about Vista, for its image, MS and the user in general is how much of a difference there is between different hardware. For example even pre sp1 it worked perfectly on my laptop well, short of the file copy. It even ran perfectly fine on an old Athlon XP that I was using it on but again a lot of this seems to depend on the hardware that you are running. This is probably a direct reflection on how competent the hardware suppliers are at making the required drivers.

    I think some of the criticisms about the UI are simply because people are pissed at actually having to learn something new. The control panel and networking settings redesign are stupid though as they are now the opposite of clean and simplified.

    Yes the spec jump to make it run is larger than between 2000 and XP but there was only 2-3 years between those releases, rather than the abysmal 6ish that we had to wait for Vista.

    I think that Vista is getting there and I do think that it will mature into a operating system that will be feasible for school use. If nothing else it will force software developers to up their game and program new software in a less retarded way to remain competitive (by supporting the latest OS with tougher standards) and that will be good for everyone. If only we could get rid of all of the old and not old rubbish software in schools we could reap the benefit.

  13. #42
    LeeH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Yorks
    Posts
    8
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    It's the speed of Vista that makes it frustrating for me - I've got a decent Dell Vostro at home (scores of 5.9 all the way on Vista performance index - quad core, 4Gb, etc) but it still doesn't feel responsive. It's not that it's slow, but compared to OS X or XP it's sluggish.

    It's actually better under boot camp on my Macbook Pro, but that's using Vista Business not Home Premium so maybe that helps.

    In truth, I'd find it hard to justify Vista to our schools am glad Becta have taken the stance they have with it, I just don't see Vista as an upgrade.

  14. #43

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Bill has been talking about the 'future' for the windows operating system for years, and while the R&D is obviously there it's pie in the sky stuff as long as MS main concern is their annual revenue from windows sales.

    I completely agree... 'Built on NT' stickers for the forseeable future.

    I'd put more faith in google developing the next gen OS for general purpose computing than Microsoft. That's how innovative they aren't.....what else explains them pinching ideas from OSX, cos they haven't got any of they're own.
    lol @ ideas of there own - which seems about right. Probably going to get flamed for this post and I know this is a vista - xp windows or M$ topic but I have to say I much prefer os x to microsoft operating systems. Although server 2003 isn't too bad. Not tried server 2008 yet.

    Have had a little play with os x leopard server which is really nice.

  15. #44
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    lol @ ideas of there own - which seems about right. Probably going to get flamed for this post and I know this is a vista - xp windows or M$ topic but I have to say I much prefer os x to microsoft operating systems. Although server 2003 isn't too bad. Not tried server 2008 yet.

    Have had a little play with os x leopard server which is really nice.
    I tell you where both Microsoft and Apple are equaly rubbish is in the are of file managers/explorers. Finder has been garbage for years, The change to the itunes esque layout and cover flow in Leopard is a slight improvement but it's not the reworking many were hoping for. I'm very much underwhelmed.

    As for Vista, maybe i need to time to get used to it but the windows explorer is a mess.

    Both need to go back to the drawing board when it comes to file and folder navigation.

  16. #45

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,680
    Thank Post
    3,210
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Rep Power
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I tell you where both Microsoft and Apple are equaly rubbish is in the are of file managers/explorers. Finder has been garbage for years, The change to the itunes esque layout and cover flow in Leopard is a slight improvement but it's not the reworking many were hoping for. I'm very much underwhelmed.

    As for Vista, maybe i need to time to get used to it but the windows explorer is a mess.

    Both need to go back to the drawing board when it comes to file and folder navigation.
    am sure you can download an app for os x to replace the finder as im sure you can do the same for windows. But do see what you mean though.

    Would be nice to know what features or what you would do to improve it or what you expect from finder or explorer ( depending on which OS you are on about )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED] Vista Free Space doesn't make sense
    By link470 in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th July 2008, 10:37 PM
  2. anyone make sense of this?
    By Ayaz in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 8th March 2008, 08:23 PM
  3. This will make you laugh!
    By in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 23rd June 2007, 09:13 AM
  4. Make Gnome look like OSX
    By CyberNerd in forum Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26th May 2006, 11:18 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •