+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Is anyone using Vista? in Technical; How're you finding it for use in schools? We've been 'told' that as from September we'll have to use Vista... ...

Thank Post

Is anyone using Vista?

How're you finding it for use in schools?

We've been 'told' that as from September we'll have to use Vista... though I don't know where this order has come from! No doubt someone who doesnt understand about the systems in our school!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    ....awaiting windows7

You don't 'have' to use vista. Becta have some advice on the issue:
    http://publications.becta.org.uk/dis...fm?resID=28199

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Jones View Post
    How're you finding it for use in schools?

We've been 'told' that as from September we'll have to use Vista... though I don't know where this order has come from! No doubt someone who doesnt understand about the systems in our school!
    Not a new BSF school is it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we won't be vista-ing any time soon... (because we have to wait for RM to release it :P)

the main problem with it is that half of the schools programs won't work with it... you know how schools have a tendancy to keep thousands of legacy programs which they use everyday!!
    Last edited by Joanne; 17th March 2008 at 03:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Not a new BSF school is it?
    Far from it!

I think the 'order' was maybe chinese whispers... I'm yet to have been consulted in it!

With SP1 being released, it's speeded up (at least by 15% real-world apparently) so you think it may be viable? Our PC's have the guts to run it, I feel.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    TBH, Vista shouldn't really be deployed unless supported by Server 2008, and Microsoft has only just released that!
    Most network guys would rater that they are happy with the back end than roll out the Vista front end without knowing or being being to control it fully.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    TBH, Vista shouldn't really be deployed unless supported by Server 2008, and Microsoft has only just released that!
    Most network guys would rater that they are happy with the back end than roll out the Vista front end without knowing or being being to control it fully.
    I'll take note... and report back to the boss!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I will have a 2k8 server machine to play with in the near future. When/if that works out I will introduce a Vista client to see what happens. Presuming that works, I can then look at software compatibility.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Remember softgrid when it comes to compatibility, that seems to be the main workaround that MS is pushing for compatibility as it virtualises apps. From what I've seen it seems to do an alright job of it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    ....awaiting windows7

You don't 'have' to use vista. Becta have some advice on the issue:
    http://publications.becta.org.uk/dis...fm?resID=28199
    is there a newer version of the publication, and have becta changed their previous stance on advising schools not to deploy ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I don't use Vista or Windows Server 2008 in any of my domains. Dos_Box hit the nail on the head, because it makes perfect sense. Get the server/administration side sorted first, then deploy Vista...BUT, there isn't any rush at all. Windows XP still has years of life in it yet.

I think my next major projects will be deploying Windows Server 2008 with Windows XP SP3 clients. In the year 2020, we'll then start seeing hardware capable of running Vista at lightening speed

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Dos_Box hit the nail on the head, because it makes perfect sense. Get the server/administration side sorted first, then deploy Vista...BUT, there isn't any rush at all. Windows XP still has years of life in it yet.
    Agree 100% - I have been pushed by some to get it out but have point blanky refused till we go down the 2008 server route. That is we ever go down that route.
    Also being pressed for Office 2007, again won't till we hit another major up-grade.
    I use it personally on my workstation but that's just to annoy some of the teachers....
    If I had my way we would use NT4 or even OS2/3 or 4 on a LAN Server.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Agree 100% - I have been pushed by some to get it out but have point blanky refused till we go down the 2008 server route. That is we ever go down that route.
    Also being pressed for Office 2007, again won't till we hit another major up-grade.
    I use it personally on my workstation but that's just to annoy some of the teachers....
    If I had my way we would use NT4 or even OS2/3 or 4 on a LAN Server.....
    I totally hear ya. Having only just turned 20 and Administrating the school district network people are wondering about certain changes and if they can get certain things like "oh wow do you think vistas a good move? but its very pretty" and the other half "vista sucks" and they've never touched the operating system, they just hop on the vista sucks bandwagon and have never tried it. Me personally? Sure, it's not a complete operating system, but I'm more than happy to have an XP network, I personally can't wait for the release of XP SP3, then I'll reimage all the machines with SP3 and hopefully be set for a long time.

XP is great, no reason for me to switch yet. Why? Just as you guys pointed out, it WORKS. The glitches are worked out, it works well with policies, it's not complicated, everyone and their dog know how to use it, let alone their fish [my fish are using BSD at home but hey give them a break ok? they live with a network security analyst], and the main thing, it will run, sure, not GREAT, but it will run, on a 300MHz PC with 128MB of ram if need be. Vista? Good game. Not gonna happen. So if we have a school here with only 900MHz machines in the district cause that's all they can afford, we can build a nice setup of XP machines that will function great on them. Bump the ram to 256? You're set, works great as a Internet Explorer and Microsoft Word machine.

There's simply no reason for me to switch yet. I'm happy where I am. XP is working, secure, patched, will run on legacy hardware, and people know it.

Thank Post
    As much as I don't like Vista I'm forcing myself to use it because I've finally made myself accept that it's the future. Luckily about 80% of our machines are more than capable of running it and it 'might' help the money appear to upgrade the rest. We've already tested a few computers with it and if anything it works better with Server 2003s GPOs than XP does, the main weirdness is the lack of a drop down domain box at logon and printer scripts acting a bit funky. We're planning to deploy it on a few student machines shortly to bring up any issues that students always seem to create

Ultimatly though it probally wont be up to us, BSF is upon us and come September we're an academy, that could easily remove all influence we have in the matter.

Thank Post
    We have rolled out Vista SP1 to one ICT Suite and so far the only issue seems to be with userlock not doing what its supposed to..

We'll be moving to Win2008 in Sept and if the Vista trial porves successful it'll stay in that suite only..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast