+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Is anyone using Vista? in Technical; We only have a Vista machine in the Server room for testing. After SP1 (as far as I can tell) ...

Thank Post

Vista and mapped drives

We only have a Vista machine in the Server room for testing. After SP1 (as far as I can tell) we have encountered a problem with SIMs and it's location on the mapped 'Admin' drive. We encounter an error with connection when starting SIMs. Turn of UAC, problem disappears. The mapped drives (made by a logon batch file in Netlogon) appear and are browsable ok within Windows, but SIMs is clearly having a problem. Research tells me it is due to the mapping of drives at different elevations of user (hence with UAC off it works ok). Alternatively, (with UAD on) I can open a command window with elevated administrator privileges, enter 'net use F: \\server\admin' to essentially duplicate mapping of the SIMs drive and the problem disappears. But this is on a 'user only' basis and disappears with subsequent logins, which means doing it all again at next logon.

We are using Windows 2003 servers and there appears to be some issues with Vista and it's user account policies and the Domain Controller policies.

Just wondered if anybody else had encountered such problems.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    I don't believe SIMS is compatible with Vista officially at the current time. I'm sure a later revision/upgrade will fix this.

Thank Post
    Appreciate your rapid reply but that isn't our understanding. Their website claim it is compatible (prior to SP1 anyway). We have worked it fine with SIMs, and providing I use the above workarounds, still does.

This mapped drives issue could become a problem for other software if I'm reading it right, I just wondered if anybody else had come across it.

Thank Post
    My working PC is Vista since April 2007. At first not good but now excellent.
    I have rolled out 45 Vista Laptops with Office 2007 to teaching staff - problems? Yes teaching staff - they want training to use the new laptops!!
    Technically no problem - Vista a little bit fussy and sometimes automatically over helpful suggesting things for you.

We are heading towards change - complete network and hardware - end of this year with a New School Build so have to try out the future.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We won't be moving to it any time soon, if at all. It just doesn't make any sense to, as moving to it will cause more problems than it fixes.

If, in a few years we have to make a decision then we will not only be looking at Windows but we will look at Linux and OS X too. I don't want to be forced to move to a poorly performing OS for no good reason if there is an alternative available.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatBoland View Post
    My working PC is Vista since April 2007. At first not good but now excellent.
    I have rolled out 45 Vista Laptops with Office 2007 to teaching staff - problems? Yes teaching staff - they want training to use the new laptops!!
    Technically no problem - Vista a little bit fussy and sometimes automatically over helpful suggesting things for you.

We are heading towards change - complete network and hardware - end of this year with a New School Build so have to try out the future.
    Does this include central imaging and license management or did you just keep the laptops as default out-of-the-box setups?
    The problem I have with Vista is that to get it integrated with our networks requires quite a bit of work and much documentation is still quite sketchy and not very clear.
    In short, if Microsoft continue this trend of making their products increasingly hard to deploy and administer then they may find a massive corporate backlash in the future. The current non-takeup of Vista is a good example of not just people waiting for the first service pack but them not wanting to upgrade back ends just to deploy a desktop OS and Office suite.

Thank Post
    I was reading a vista sp1 article in pcrpro i think it was, and it said while some application compatability issues had been addressed, aswell as improved driver support Vista SP1 still performs WORSE than XP with SP2 on routine tasks such as copying files to usb drive. Conclusion was that SP1 was no magic bullet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    In short, if Microsoft continue this trend of making their products increasingly hard to deploy and administer then they may find a massive corporate backlash in the future. The current non-takeup of Vista is a good example of not just people waiting for the first service pack but them not wanting to upgrade back ends just to deploy a desktop OS and Office suite.
    I'd agree with you but the daft thing is that MS will tell you that they've gone overboard with making it easier to deploy. No need to use Ghost any longer - you can use Imagex (free download). Server 2008 even does multicasting so you really shouldn't need Ghost at all (which is quite a saving for most places)

When XP first came out I sort of thought "well, it's OK but there's nothing special". I didn't have to use it for long before I started wondering how I'd ever put up with Windows 2000. Sadly, I used Vista for over 6 months and couldn't wait to get back to XP - I simply can't find the "must have" features.

I know I'm going to have to go to Vista at some point but I just can't see what I get from it that I can't do more or less as well with XP (and that I actually need - fancy Aero graphics don't really make it much easier to work with a spreadsheet!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I'd agree with you but the daft thing is that MS will tell you that they've gone overboard with making it easier to deploy. No need to use Ghost any longer - you can use Imagex (free download). Server 2008 even does multicasting so you really shouldn't need Ghost at all (which is quite a saving for most places)

When XP first came out I sort of thought "well, it's OK but there's nothing special". I didn't have to use it for long before I started wondering how I'd ever put up with Windows 2000. Sadly, I used Vista for over 6 months and couldn't wait to get back to XP - I simply can't find the "must have" features.

I know I'm going to have to go to Vista at some point but I just can't see what I get from it that I can't do more or less as well with XP (and that I actually need - fancy Aero graphics don't really make it much easier to work with a spreadsheet!)
    But aren't those server 2008 features such as imagex available for xp clients aswel ?

, if they are Vista specific then that's the best tactic for MS to get Vista takeup in the enterprise. To sell server 2008 and Vista as a corporate desktop package. Easy to roll out and easy to maintain with ZAW features exclusive to Vista+2008. I don't think the odd Vista specific group policy is going to persuade corporate IT that Vista is a must have from their point of view. The app compatibility and performance concerns would far outweight any minor benefits.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    XP gets support till 2012. Windows7 is scheduled for 2010. Windows7 is most likely modular, therefore lower spec and certainly supported by 2008 server.
    Evidence mounting: Windows 7 going modular, subscription
    so we may just be able to skip vista.

Thank Post
    As said previously, I'll be waiting till I get a 2008 server up and running and will probably wait till 2008 sp1 before I roll any Vista clients out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    XP gets support till 2012. Windows7 is scheduled for 2010. Windows7 is most likely modular, therefore lower spec and certainly supported by 2008 server.
    Evidence mounting: Windows 7 going modular, subscription
    so we may just be able to skip vista.
    Does that mean that it won't be based on the codebase of the NT lineage like their previous releases ? Or if it's from the ground up new i doubt they'd get anything out of the door by 2010. That's gives them up to 2.5 years - absolutely no chance. Plus the 'evidence' appears to be what people have seen in Server 2008 and Vista, i don't think anyone outside of redmond has a clue what stage they're at.

Anyway i thought MS idea of a modular OS was to split it into 7 different versions (or is that 8 i have no idea how many Vista's you can buy)

i'm actually hoping i can skip Windows altogether, hopefully by the time it's released i won't be doing Windows desktop support anymore. So i don't have to look at Windows 7 from a professiional point of view. More out of curioisty. Will probably still be exposed to Windows Server in some capacity, but i think server 2008 will be going strong for another 4 years atleast, i don't think they'll be in a rush to replace it.
    Last edited by torledo; 27th March 2008 at 08:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    Does that mean that it won't be based on the codebase of the NT lineage like their previous releases ? Or if it's from the ground up new i doubt they'd get anything out of the door by 2010. That's gives them up to 2.5 years - absolutely no chance. Plus the 'evidence' appears to be what people have seen in Server 2008 and Vista, i don't think anyone outside of redmond has a clue what stage they're at.
    I'm guessing as much as anyone else, but it is looking more and more like with every version MS are getting closer to building a clone of *nix, so making it modular wouldn't be a suprise.
    Also consider that they are loosing a large revenue stream with small devices as more companies (asus,nokia, hp etc) start bringing their small devices to linux. Vista won't run on these things and the world is looking for lower powered devices so there are a lot of reasons for MS to go 'modular' - also the software as service (remember winfs?) to catchup with googles apps.

Thank Post
    @ Dos_Box

Laptops kept as default out-of-the-box setups, a fair bit of manual setup and as I am the only one here on site, a lot of work. I had to try it as we are in the process of a New Build for next February - complete new network and hardware from scratch. So all ideas are been trialled at present. We are leaning towards RM CC4 so may be guided by RM as to XP vs Vista. I am running NT4, Win 98, Viglen with some 2000pro and XP thrown in at present.

I have a test Server2k3 Domain running and although GP's etc is very good with an ICT staff of one (me) the RM deal may be better from a day to day management point of few especially as we get near to zero input from the Curriculum side as to what they require. So give them a package!!

Thank Post
    Hi all,

In July 2007 after 4 months of testing, packaging software and creating new GPO's we deployed Vista Enterprise and Office 2007 to around 200 desktops using Windows 2003 Server, KMS, WDS and BDD.

We transitioned from Windows 2000 & Office 2000, there were a few small issues but nothing that we couldn't rectify with a macro, script or registry tweak. We opted for a PXE Boot 'lite touch' installation, we may move towards a 'zero touch' in the future.

All in all it was a smooth deployment, user acceptance has been high with many users not even being phased by the new look and feel of Vista & Office 2007, something we flagged up as a potential risk in the planning stages.

A few weeks after deployment, having had very little feedback or helpdesk calls, we started to approach users to find out how they were getting on, pretty much every user looked at us with a puzzled expression and replied 'fine, why?' or 'ok thanks'

If anyone wants to know anything specific about our deployment I'd be happy to post replies here ...

Cheers

Ben
    Last edited by Benzini00; 29th April 2008 at 01:36 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast