+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Vista And XP in Technical; I think this is more than a little odd. I connected my [Vista Business] desktop to my sons [XP Pro ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries

Vista And XP

I think this is more than a little odd. I connected my [Vista Business] desktop to my sons [XP Pro SP2] desktop through nothing more elaborate than a 5 port D-Link switch. I wanted to transfer some files from my computer to his without having to burn a CD or use a USB stick [not enough space on either media to move the files I wanted on his machine in one go]

I was expecting Vista to ask me for usernames and passwords to access his HDD. It did not. Rather it let me see the whole drive as if there were no NTFS permissions in place at all.

The machines have never been connected before in any way and although they are both members of the 'Workgroup' workgroup administrator passwords are different.

I was able to copy the files over as I wanted to. But this is what worries me: If I could do this at home could students do something similar with a Vista laptop at school?

Thank Post
    It won't ask you for the password if the user you're logged on as has a corresponding user on the other machine, both with identical passwords.

3. Thanks to fafster from:

DaveP (25th February 2008)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    It won't ask you for the password if the user you're logged on as has a corresponding user on the other machine, both with identical passwords.
    I feel really dumb now. Of course that is the answer! I just hadn't considered it. I think what threw me is the difference between my Technician user I use to log on at school and my administrator user at home [called Dave] Difficult to explain fully, but it makes sense to me. Thanks for the nod in the right direction. I suppose I would have got there in the end. Much quicker this way: Removing the mental block.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    Sorry mate, not quite true.

I deal with alot of private customers who are normally on XP.

My laptop is Vista Home Premium.

I can connect any hard drive, via USB, with password protected accounts and access it.

It seems Vista allows access to any drive, havent had one that I cant get into yet.

Must say, I do like the ease. Under XP it was a pain and normally had to use GDBNT to access it.

OK. I knew it, I shouldnt have posted this. Had my first one yesterday that I couldnt get into.
    Last edited by GaryCantley; 18th March 2008 at 06:57 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread