+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Vista Thread, To Vista or Not to Vista in Technical; Originally Posted by NickJones I disagree - the lay-out changes in Office 2007 aren't just cosmetic (unlike those in Vista), ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    I disagree - the lay-out changes in Office 2007 aren't just cosmetic (unlike those in Vista), they offer a much quicker method of finding the more advanced functions, especially the ones which you know exist but can't remember where to find.
    I would certainly expect the changes were more than just cosmetic, given the money they spent developing it. Annual R&D costs for office 2007 were just insane. And that investment by microsoft is increasing for the next version.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I would certainly expect the changes were more than just cosmetic, given the money they spent developing it. Annual R&D costs for office 2007 were just insane. And that investment by microsoft is increasing for the next version.
    So they spent a lot of money researching how people use Office, and then spent some more writing a greatly improved product. Money well spent, I say.

(unless you take a bigger picture view and consider how many African families could have been fed, schooled and given life-saving medical treatment with the same money, of course!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    What difference is a few hundred million pounds when it's taxpayers money - after all you get a pretty interface

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    And that investment by microsoft is increasing for the next version.
    It's because the next version will be 'more compliant' than there current version, which doesn't meet their MOOXML 'standard', they are re-witting the 'standard' because it didn't pass ISO under scrutiny - now they have to re-write their next product to keep up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    So they spent a lot of money researching how people use Office, and then spent some more writing a greatly improved product. Money well spent, I say.

(unless you take a bigger picture view and consider how many African families could have been fed, schooled and given life-saving medical treatment with the same money, of course!)

Let's put that spend in perspective. Sun spent $500 million dollars developing the entire Solaris 10 OS, an operating system powering some of the largest web server farms and mission critical applications all over the world. Developing a OS that has to scale to up to 144 processors is no mean feat - even if it wasn't a from-the-ground-up reworking.

That's considerably less than what it cost for microsoft to update a product that is fundamentally a set of tools that allows people to create documents, spreadsheets and presentations. The way people use office hasn't changed drastically despite the ribbon interface and re-workings - infact they actually took away the traditional office web development option with the EoL of frontpage, so i just can't get my head round the numbers involved - and where the hell the money has gone, particularly as sun can get an entire operating system in solaris 10 out of the door for a comparatively modest spend.
    Last edited by torledo; 1st February 2008 at 06:03 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123