+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, The product key you typed is already in use in Technical; But I have a volume licence! I've just started tinkering with Vista on a VM so I can get group ...
    Thank Post

The product key you typed is already in use

But I have a volume licence!

I've just started tinkering with Vista on a VM so I can get group policies set up. I've got a volume license from Ramesys, and this is the first time I've used it.

Just tried to activate it, typed in the activation code on the Ramesys invoice, and I get this.

The product key you typed is already in use
    Then it gives a series of options, none of which are realistic:-

Buy another key - **** off
    Enter another key - I don't need to I've got a license for this.
    Use the automated phone system - what? every time I install Vista?
    Contact MS to resolve this problem. - Maybe I should calm down first.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It may be like my TechNet licence where I'm only allowed 10 activations. IIRC. With Vista there are no 'volume' keys as they want you to install it off WDS and use the new Windows bulk licensing mechanism via the server licensing component. Talk about locking your customers out of your products!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    But I have a volume licence!

I've just started tinkering with Vista on a VM so I can get group policies set up. I've got a volume license from Ramesys, and this is the first time I've used it.

Just tried to activate it, typed in the activation code on the Ramesys invoice, and I get this.

Then it gives a series of options, none of which are realistic:-

Buy another key - **** off
    Enter another key - I don't need to I've got a license for this.
    Use the automated phone system - what? every time I install Vista?
    Contact MS to resolve this problem. - Maybe I should calm down first.

There is no one key for Vista unless you have a Key management server and key.

MAK Keys use a single limited use key (mine are 150 activations for example), each time it activates the number remaining reduce. KMS keys are single keys which are used for a local activation server that returns the number in use to MS, machines need to access the server every 6 months to reactivate.

What type of Vista are you using? MAK and KMS keys can only be used with business and enterprise.

If you are using Ultimate then you require one unique unused key per machine. You can also only get ultimate under a vol license if you had xp pro with software assurance active when vista was released, all ms do is send you a list of single use keys if they find your license request is valid.

Thank Post
    Thanks. I have Business Edition, but I don't know what MAK or KMS means. It looks like I'll have to do more reading.

I was avoiding using WDS because I couldn't get it to replace my RIS server in deploying XP. Is it possible to use RIS and WDS together in the same network? I suspect it isn't.

Project Vista is becoming bigger the more I look at it.

(PS I saw Gavin from Smoothwall yesterday. He told me you'd had a great night out at BETT. I'll have to get down there next year).

Thank Post
    How do I find out if the key I have is MAK or KMS? Or can keys be used as either? Does this mean I have to set up a local activation server?

This is going to be a day of reading MS Technet, I think! Pass the Optrex, please.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    How do I find out if the key I have is MAK or KMS? Or can keys be used as either? Does this mean I have to set up a local activation server?

This is going to be a day of reading MS Technet, I think! Pass the Optrex, please.
    You can see and request MAK (Multiple activation key) and KMS keys on your MS license agreements. (https://licensing.microsoft.com)

MAK keys KMS are different, and you are unlikely to get a KMS key without being able to get into the MS license site.

As you are using Ramesys I expect you are well and truly stuffed. They couldn't organize a simple schools agreement renewal in 6 months when I used them (never again!).

As your key expired then it's not going to be a MAK or KMS key, just an ordinary non vol key I should think.

Thank Post
    I have both MAK and KMS keys which you get from the licensing site DMcCoy posted, if you have a correctly set up license agreement that is

As said KMS key is used on the machine that is going to act as the local Activation server, you need 25 clients running Vista though to use KMS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You can see and request MAK (Multiple activation key) and KMS keys on your MS license agreements. (https://licensing.microsoft.com)

MAK keys KMS are different, and you are unlikely to get a KMS key without being able to get into the MS license site.

As you are using Ramesys I expect you are well and truly stuffed. They couldn't organize a simple schools agreement renewal in 6 months when I used them (never again!).

Thanks. I've been to the MS licensing site, and requested access to the agreement, using the number on the Ramesys invoice. The number was validated, so should be OK.

I've phoned Ramesys and they said it's a MAK key, but they give the same ones out to a lot of customers, so it looks like it's been fully used. They're going to send me another key.

Thanks everyone. I'm starting to find my way through this.

Thank Post
    I was avoiding using WDS because I couldn't get it to replace my RIS server in deploying XP. Is it possible to use RIS and WDS together in the same network? I suspect it isn't.
    Probablly using some VLAN jiggery pokery it would be...we use vlans for that reason [well... one of them... well, it works out handy as a result lol].

Nath.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread