+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Upgrade to XP today! in Technical; Excellent article explaining some of the "upgrades" you get when going from Vista to XP http://dotnet.org.za/codingsanity/ar...indows-xp.aspx Love the bit about ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Upgrade to XP today!

Excellent article explaining some of the "upgrades" you get when going from Vista to XP

http://dotnet.org.za/codingsanity/ar...indows-xp.aspx

Love the bit about the start-up and file copies. They are still not fixed in SP1, last night it took an hour to copy 1 dvd iso over my network on a gbit card!

I will be upgrading my home laptop to XP soon! Vista Business just doesn't do the business for me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Upgrade to XP today!

Nice review, it mirrors exactly my experiance with Vista.
    I look forwards to upgrading to XP in the new year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ittech
    Excellent article explaining some of the "upgrades" you get when going from Vista to XP

http://dotnet.org.za/codingsanity/ar...indows-xp.aspx

Love the bit about the start-up and file copies. They are still not fixed in SP1, last night it took an hour to copy 1 dvd iso over my network on a gbit card!

I will be upgrading my home laptop to XP soon! Vista Business just doesn't do the business for me.
    It's Vista without the buisness

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I seem to re-call similar web pages and people moaning when XP was first launched.......
    Same thing happened from 3.1 to Windows 95... Yawn....

Thank Post

That reminds me to ask - has anyone got a WfWg 3.11 VM and if so can I have a copy please )

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi
    That reminds me to ask - has anyone got a WfWg 3.11 VM and if so can I have a copy please
    I've got an ISO of a bootable CD with DOS 6 and Windows 3.1 that should work on a VM if that's any interest! If it was a serious request, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I seem to re-call similar web pages and people moaning when XP was first launched.......Same thing happened from 3.1 to Windows 95... Yawn....
    too true.
    50% of the ITTechs in my school are using windows 2000 still. Their argument being it does everything XP does without the annoying popups. Security updates til 2010 and most of the drivers are the same, so why upgrade ??? (only the head of IT migrated to XP, I got fed up with daily xp reboots and moved to linux)
    Somehow I don't think the IT dept will be driving a vista migration at this school. I don't recall any complaints about 3.1 ->95 though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    I seem to re-call similar web pages and people moaning when XP was first launched.......
    Same thing happened from 3.1 to Windows 95... Yawn....
    Possibly, but Vista does have massive unfixed flaws and bugs which make the use of it painful. Its not down to 'needing better hardware'. It is a very buggy and frustrating operating system. If it worked like it was supposed to I wouldn't knock it, but it simply does not.

Thank Post

Possibly, but Vista does have massive unfixed flaws and bugs which make the use of it painful. Its not down to 'needing better hardware'. It is a very buggy and frustrating operating system. If it worked like it was supposed to I wouldn't knock it, but it simply does not.
    So does XP, so does Linux, so does AIX, so does OS/2, so does Babbage's difference engine, so does every bit of software / hardware and his dog. If everything was to supposed to work as it supposed to we would all be out of a job.
    Welcome to the world of IT !!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

If everything was to supposed to work as it supposed to we would all be out of a job.
    Not really, as 99% of the work I do is fix issues caused by users and set up new systems. Very little is fixing problems that exist due to poor software.

Thank Post

So does XP, so does Linux, so does AIX, so does OS/2, so does Babbage's difference engine, so does every bit of software / hardware and his dog. If everything was to supposed to work as it supposed to we would all be out of a job.
    AIX has bugs and doesn't work as supposed to ???!!!! That's heresy

Can't wait to get my hands dirty with AIX when we get our pseries box next year.

Thank Post

Not really, as 99% of the work I do is fix issues caused by users and set up new systems. Very little is fixing problems that exist due to poor software.
    Maybe in your current role - as a veteran of working in both industry and education and having run a small IT business 10years ago, I've seen most things - specially badly written in house applications / software.

Can't wait to get my hands dirty with AIX when we get our pseries box next year.
    Why wait ? Stick in a bid for this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBM-7026-M80-R...QQcmdZViewItem

I saw yesterday whilst sniffing around E-bay..... :-)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wonder if it'll fit in my cupboard under the stairs? Don't think Mrs. Tech_Guy would be very happy though.....

:-)

Thank Post

We're running a trial on handfull of machines soon, the idea being that if we do have to roll it eventually out we'll have a good year or twos experience supporting it. It really has nothing we want or need but we're in a position were about 80% of our machines are classed as "premium ready" and all but one piece of software works so its worth looking at.

Outside of work I've had nothing but bad experiences with it, a mate bought a machine with the offer of a vista "upgrade" once it was released, he upgraded against my advice and ended having to buy a copy of XP since he didnt burn the restore discs before vista destroyed his machine. Not been asked to help fix anything since XP went on Someone elses Vista decided that it didnt want to use his subwoofer at all except for windows sounds, anything else was bass free, that was fun to fix.

The only potentially attractive feature I can see for home users is DX10 but even that isnt too important since only stupid games designers would start ignoring DX9 anytime soon.

I'm actually thinking of learning Ubuntu at this point, if Vista proves to be a precident Windows clearly isnt the future.

Thank Post

Windows clearly isnt the future.
    It never was. Nor is Linux or any other OS for that matter.
    Different OS's & systems are developing all the time - at the moment certain OS & systems just happen to be flavours of the month. In another 5 years time it will be something else.
    I've worked with most OS's over the years, all have their good and bad points. Our IT teacher was keen to get Vista on the network - he was shocked as I point blankly refused but may consider it in 18 / 24 months time. At the moment I see no point as our XP network is fine.
    OS's take time to bed in, with more and more people owning PCs and with more and more people getting computer savy etc then there is bound to be a backlash of people moaning about new releases of OS's and software, but now in greater numbers. Like I said before, it happened with 3.1 to 95, 95 to 98, 98 to ME, NT 3.51 to NT 4.0, NT 4.0 to 2000, 2000 to XP - I could go on.......
    I used to moan about MSDOS, PCDOS & IBMDOS as I had to configure DOS lan. When something about those versions changed it screwed something up or a network card was not supported. This element of OS change is nothing new you know.........
    If you can't learn to live and work with it, then don't work in IT. Go and be a 'manager' of some sorts. Most people without an element of brain cells tend to become 'managers.'

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast