+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Vista Thread, Upgrade to XP today! in Technical; Originally Posted by mattx I seem to re-call similar web pages and people moaning when XP was first launched....... Same ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I seem to re-call similar web pages and people moaning when XP was first launched.......
    Same thing happened from 3.1 to Windows 95... Yawn....
    I also remember people wheeling out this quote when Windows ME came out

There were people on the internet who swore that it was the best operating system ever made and upgraded for the sake of upgrading

Thank Post
    So does XP, so does Linux, so does AIX, so does OS/2, so does Babbage's difference engine, so does every bit of software / hardware and his dog. If everything was to supposed to work as it supposed to we would all be out of a job.
    Welcome to the world of IT !!
    Babbage's Analytical Engine was an improvement on the Difference Engine.

I'll get my frock coat.

Thank Post
    So does XP, so does Linux, so does AIX, so does OS/2, so does Babbage's difference engine, so does every bit of software / hardware and his dog. If everything was to supposed to work as it supposed to we would all be out of a job.
    Welcome to the world of IT !!
    So does Windows ME.

Not all Operating Systems are as good/bad as each other, some are more stable/usable than others.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i got me vista ultimate at home and it works a treat. It did struggle with theme hospital, but that could be due to my cd being heavily scratched and a dodgy graphics card :P hehe.

I don't think vista is any good for schools though... there is no need for any of the new 'features', plus most of the software wouldn't work... so we are probably not going to bother... until the managed service at least!

Thank Post
    I very much believe that there is a time and a place for everything, and that includes OSes... So many people believe that Windows is only ever going to be the way to go, and Linux is just a fad... other people are the other way... but ultimately they all have strengths and weaknesses... personally i wouldn't run linux on my desktop, but have found it great as a file/web server...

Recently i had to build a PC for my girlfriend's family and when choosing between Xp and Vista, i ended up putting vista home premium on it because its only used for the "basics": schoolwork, msn and internet.... After a motherboard failure i had to rebuild my desktop, i bought a copy of vista ultimate oem at the time, but stuck with XP... my work laptop is set up to dual boot xp/vista business, however i just use vista mainly to force myself to use it... as much as i could run a virtual pc on my desktop at home, i wouldn't bother enough, whereas now i'm getting to know it for if/when i need to...

I preferred Windows 2000 over XP, but eventually it became easier (well after a HDD crash) to just move to XP (by that point XP SP2 had been out for a while), and eventually that point will come with Vista...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm gonna say it I am...

I LIKE VISTA!! (erm... kinda)

Thank Post
    I'm waiting untill we have to upgrade a large ammount of workstations before considering Vista. Call me selfish, but I'd rather let other people do the dev and debug work for me

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I finally upgraded to XP today on my work laptop! 9 months of vista slowness disapears overnight

The 2gb ram upgrade I did on the machine(to make vista usable) makes XP fly, it is seriously quick. IIS actually works with PHP/MYSQL and doesn't cause random crashes of explorer.

The network config is familiar and actually does what I need to do quickly rather than the bloated vista network sharing center.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12