+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, It has to end here... in Technical; I'm sorry Vista, I really am. I've tried to like you, really I have. But it's just not working between ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries

It has to end here...

I'm sorry Vista, I really am. I've tried to like you, really I have. But it's just not working between us.
    It's not the fact that it takes ages to copy a file\s with you, or the simple act of deleteting one makes you go into a catatonic trance.
    We started off well, and once I'd disabled UAC and instant search to stop the massived amounts of disk thrashing you seemed to enjoy so much things improved.
    We then settled down to several weeks of awkward bliss. Even though booting up and logging on was a lenghty process, and the sidebar was an annoyance for me personally you seemed to get on with life, albeit slower than my last love XP.
    It's the little things you see. Things like hiding where everything used to live. Making the network controls more complicted than they really need to be (I even found it amusing when you disabled most of the services on my secon NIC because you thought that I didn't really want to span 2 networks).
    So there it is. I'm going to swap you out this morning for my old flame. Sshe may be old and patchy, but she's reliable and more fleet of foot than you are.
    And less of a nag!

Thank Post

Re: It has to end here...

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    I'm sorry Vista, I really am. I've tried to like you, really I have. But it's just not working between us.
    It's not the fact that it takes ages to copy a file\s with you, or the simple act of deleteting one makes you go into a catatonic trance.
    No, no, no, that's history. Sure, that was definitely the case up to September perhaps, but not any more. I presume that you did all the updates - but did you install SP1? It's a much better experience since then.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries

SP1? That's only in pre release format!

The slow disk I/O is a problem still for me. Extracting a zip file of eclipse on my vista machine took nearly 2 hours. In 7zip on vista it took just over a minute...

Vista is good in some ways, but I am finding it like Dos_Box is - it has many irritating features that are just poorly thought out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eejit
    No, no, no, that's history. Sure, that was definitely the case up to September perhaps, but not any more. I presume that you did all the updates - but did you install SP1? It's a much better experience since then.
    Sorry, its still the case, even after all the updates. Don't even get me started about driver installations!

Thank Post

SP1 not due out till early next year but apparently SP1 RC1 has no significant impact on performance.

Of more concern is Microsofts warning that Vista SP1 may cause application compatability problems with programs that run cleanly on unpatched systems. Apparently they are releasing a list of applications it will effect when SP1 is fully available.

Thank Post

The slow copy thing is very annoying - I've taken to booting my test XP PC whenever I need to copy large amounts of data. I've heard its fixed in SP1, but I don't fancy that until its a proper release.

I quite like the Sidebar, it's a nice little home for a clock, calendar and calculator - and if you don't like it, turn it off; uninstalling Vista because of that seems a little drastic.

Folder navigation is nicer in Vista, with the ability to click up any level of folders, unlike XP's Up One Level button. Also, the way it can handle duplicate file/folder names when moving folders is a God-send.

I haven't tried putting much "old" hardware on my Vista PC yet though, so my views might change later.

richard

Tried it and hated it. That reminds me anyone want to buy my Vista Ultimate upgrade disks?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Just install Linux, you know you want to

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Or get a mac (cue Mattx...)

Thank Post

I'm hoping the XP SP3 gets rid of my winlogon/netlogon race condition issues with 802.1x. The NAP is from vista. It also adds 802.1x GPO for wired connections!

After that I don't really need vista for anything!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    +1. The ONLY disadvantage with linux going forward are manufacturer supplied device drivers. But in all other respects ubuntu beats Vista hands down.

The thing about Vista is the new deployment options available and the Server 2008 vista specific features will be hard to ignore.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    The slow copy thing is very annoying - I've taken to booting my test XP PC whenever I need to copy large amounts of data. I've heard its fixed in SP1, but I don't fancy that until its a proper release.

I quite like the Sidebar, it's a nice little home for a clock, calendar and calculator - and if you don't like it, turn it off; uninstalling Vista because of that seems a little drastic.

Folder navigation is nicer in Vista, with the ability to click up any level of folders, unlike XP's Up One Level button. Also, the way it can handle duplicate file/folder names when moving folders is a God-send.

I haven't tried putting much "old" hardware on my Vista PC yet though, so my views might change later.
    Yeah. I have to use an XP VM to do any large file copying. Not good.

Thank Post

I tried vista for a while but ditched it after a couple of months.

Now absolutely flying on Ubuntu Gutsy - the speed that I see now, even compared to XP is amazing! Can't recommend it highly enough.

It really makes you realise how awful Windows is with regard to drivers - just install and go, everything just works from the off! So many great features too - my current fav being the synaptic package manager (similar to add/remove programs) - you wan't some new software?? just do a search and it downloads it from the online suppositories!

Oh yes, and it's free!!

PEO
    Thank Post

We started off well, and once I'd disabled UAC and instant search to stop the massived amounts of disk thrashing you seemed to enjoy so much things improved.
    We then settled down to several weeks of awkward bliss. Even though booting up and logging on was a lenghty process, and the sidebar was an annoyance for me personally you seemed to get on with life, albeit slower than my last love XP.
    It's the little things you see. Things like hiding where everything used to live. Making the network controls more complicted than they really need to be (I even found it amusing when you disabled most of the services on my secon NIC because you thought that I didn't really want to span 2 networks).
    So there it is. I'm going to swap you out this morning for my old flame. Sshe may be old and patchy, but she's reliable and more fleet of foot than you are.
    And less of a nag!
    Will she take you back???? 8O

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by rusty155
    downloads it from the online suppositories!
    Thank you. You have just brightened up my morning

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information