+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, It has to end here... in Technical; s'ok for us RM types... we just get it with Connect 4.... still doesn't mean problem free, but better than ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: It has to end here...

s'ok for us RM types... we just get it with Connect 4.... still doesn't mean problem free, but better than going it alone!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts

The other day I was asked to setup a PC for a work colleague he bought for his kids for Christmas, and to ensure it was patched and had anti-virus installed etc..

It was the first time I have used Vista in its final state and although the visuals were very nice, it was incredibly slow compared to XP.

The thing that was really tedious (not sure what anyone else thinks) is the Vista hardware evaluation process. Incredibly long winded and this was running on an AMD 64 CPU!

I may start to use Vista when these become the norm!
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(28199)Intel-CPU-Core-2-Extreme-QX9650-Quad-Core.aspx

metalmonkey

Thing is Michael, where was the PC purchased from?

The number of times i've seen Vista Ready PC's sold that would have trouble running XP with any great performance.

No kidding, I saw a "reputable" retailer seeling a Vista laptop with a 5,400rpm HDD and 512mb ram and claimed it's Vista Ready.

PEO
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    I'm sorry Vista, I really am. I've tried to like you, really I have. But it's just not working between us.
    It's not the fact that it takes ages to copy a file\s with you, or the simple act of deleteting one makes you go into a catatonic trance.
    We started off well, and once I'd disabled UAC and instant search to stop the massived amounts of disk thrashing you seemed to enjoy so much things improved.
    We then settled down to several weeks of awkward bliss. Even though booting up and logging on was a lenghty process, and the sidebar was an annoyance for me personally you seemed to get on with life, albeit slower than my last love XP.
    It's the little things you see. Things like hiding where everything used to live. Making the network controls more complicted than they really need to be (I even found it amusing when you disabled most of the services on my secon NIC because you thought that I didn't really want to span 2 networks).
    So there it is. I'm going to swap you out this morning for my old flame. Sshe may be old and patchy, but she's reliable and more fleet of foot than you are.
    And less of a nag!
    Will she take you back???? 8O
    I'm eyeing up her older sister!

Ooow dangeros!!

I have two on the go, XP and Ubuntu. I have great pleasure working on them both at the same time

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts

@metalmonkey - It was a compaq.

I think the Vista Ready campaign is a gimmick really, because although 512MB of memory will run Vista (so I suppose it qualifies as Vista Ready), in reality we all know that it will run like a 386 operating at 33MHz.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink
    frankly it's this "There's no choice, we're hostage to this" that does absolutely nothing to encourage MS or anyone else to get with the program.
    Probably true, however I find it highly unlikely that I could convince people to take the open source plunge here, so we (i.e. this school) are hostage to it. I can like that or not, but it won't alter it so, as I said, I might as well get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    Not at this school not yet anyway
    Nor here for some while, either. I'm yet to see a single business reason for the upgrade, but I am confident that at some point our hand will be forced by software or hardware compatibility or by the cessation of XP supply.

as for trying it on my own machine well lets just say im not forking out 500 quid for one louzy vista license
    Vista didn't cost me anything - the last time I was buying a PC for a department, I specced it with Vista, took the new one myself and gave them my "old" one :-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Quote Originally Posted by contink
    frankly it's this "There's no choice, we're hostage to this" that does absolutely nothing to encourage MS or anyone else to get with the program.
    Probably true, however I find it highly unlikely that I could convince people to take the open source plunge here, so we (i.e. this school) are hostage to it. I can like that or not, but it won't alter it so, as I said, I might as well get on with it.

Not at this school not yet anyway
    Nor here for some while, either. I'm yet to see a single business reason for the upgrade, but I am confident that at some point our hand will be forced by software or hardware compatibility or by the cessation of XP supply.

as for trying it on my own machine well lets just say im not forking out 500 quid for one louzy vista license
    Vista didn't cost me anything - the last time I was buying a PC for a department, I specced it with Vista, took the new one myself and gave them my "old" one :-)
    Agree with you on the no business reasons and lol @ specing a machine up with vista and swapping with them.

Got a machine being delivered for me tommorow but speced it with windows xp sp 2.

I don't wanna go down the vista route, think I would much rather go with ubuntu or something else then that.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by metalmonkey
    Thing is Michael, where was the PC purchased from?

The number of times i've seen Vista Ready PC's sold that would have trouble running XP with any great performance.

No kidding, I saw a "reputable" retailer seeling a Vista laptop with a 5,400rpm HDD and 512mb ram and claimed it's Vista Ready.
    Not sure about vista ready but am sure it would defintly be Me or 98 ready lol.

Wonder what windows 2000 would be like on one of those supposed vista ready machines that have got a 5,400rpm hard drive and 512mb ram lol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries

When it comes to rolling out Vista, I have the following in my head:

1. Much of our existing educational software will not work properly in Vista, so much new software would have to be purchased if we updated
    2. About 30% of our machines wouldn't work with Vista as the memory in them is too low.
    3. If it is going to cost so much to roll out Vista, would it work out cheaper to migrate to Ubuntu and have a terminal server box for SIMS.net and the like?

At the moment, it is looking significantly cheaper to go with Ubuntu. The only problem would be training the staff for the new environment - although, this could easily be crafted to look a lot like Windows.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    At the moment, it is looking significantly cheaper to go with Ubuntu. The only problem would be training the staff for the new environment - although, this could easily be crafted to look a lot like Windows.
    That's the way I see it too. Vista is just a non-starter for me. I was hoping SP1 would improve things, but it doesn't look promising...
    There's a good chance we'll be running Ubuntu here within the next 2 years.
    Bill couldn't have done more for the Open Source movement if he tried 8O
    (BTW, this comes from a confirmed MS stalwart of many years, MCSE etc. etc.)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

so... who has linux as their main OS's's in their schools?

Thank Post

Not sure about the school but id much rather go with mac os x ( tiger or leopard ) then go with vista.

We only use linux for the proxy for now.

Thank Post

1. Much of our existing educational software will not work properly in Vista, so much new software would have to be purchased if we updated
    Is that actually based on anything, or just "the word on the street"? I'd read the same scare-mongering articles as you about how everything will need upgrading or replacing, but when it actually came down to it, found literally just one application which doesn't work under Vista (and that is due to be upgraded next year anyway).

Thank Post

Side note here :

Presuming vista comes with IE 7 which is a safe bet. How do you remove IE 7 webernet jackers ( such as the ones that hijackthis removes ) in IE 7.

Just wondering .....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Is that actually based on anything, or just "the word on the street"? I'd read the same scare-mongering articles as you about how everything will need upgrading or replacing, but when it actually came down to it, found literally just one application which doesn't work under Vista (and that is due to be upgraded next year anyway).
    Unfortunately in primary circles the software tends to be difficult enough to get it working with XP.. Quite a few are only now really stable with the older OS so Vista is unlikely to be much better.

Course that's supposition without testing so at present I couldn't confirm or deny at this point.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information