+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, It has to end here... in Technical; look up 'The Pirates of Silicon Valley' for the Jobs\Gates story. Quite a good film that - a bit OTT ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

Re: It has to end here...

look up 'The Pirates of Silicon Valley' for the Jobs\Gates story.
    Quite a good film that - a bit OTT in places but quite good. I have a copy of that somewhere, must dig it out.....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    .. but having it now run on my Quad Core Q6600 its fine.
    Frustrating though that it requires such a heavy duty system to run effectively though.

Making the network controls more complicted than they really need to be
    My father recently reported another issue for dial-up users. Apparently he found that dialup profiles setup correctly in the networking system will not work (gives login auth error) if you startup internet explorer and try to auth through it. Not tried to validate or recreate this error myself but Dad's reached the point of sobbing when I mention Vista now.

Ultimately I fail to see exactly what benefit there is to Vista beyond "it looks pretty". Everything else is just a confusing decision to chuck away established labels and procedures and replace them with ones that frankly make little or no intuitive rational.

metalmonkey

I've had more break-ups with Vista than I care to remember, but I discovered one thing that makes Vista usable. The problem isn't vista, it was me. I was always trying to compare Vista with XP because thats the way I liked it. Once I changed my mindset and accepted Vista as a new OS with new features, it's good. Not fantastic, but good all the same.

I started with Vista in Jan 07, used it for 2 months and gave up.
    I then used it in July for about month and went back to XP. (don't get me started on drivers)

Both those times I was trying to use it on my 3.2 P4 with 2gb ram and 256 ATI 9600 gfx card.

In September I built myself a new Q6600 Quad 2.4 beast of a machine and again, bought Vista Ult OEM (yup - ashamed to admit, i've had to buy it twice)

Vista flys now even with Aero on - and anyone who knows me, will know I'm a stickler for grey-scale 98x style.

To be honest, I kinda forget i'm using vista a lot of the time - which I think is a good thing in some sence.

Of course, we could all argue on the why's, how's, and who's but at the end of the day, Vista is like a bad smell. It's here to stay. We'll have to jump eventually. In my job, I can't afford principles - if i do, someone else will take my job.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

And was all the expense (new PC, 2x Vista) really worth it, for flying and wooshing and transparent windows and slow copying of files?

metalmonkey

No. But then I didn't buy the new PC for Vista. I bought Vista for the new PC.

£109 quid on top of a new PC, really doesn't make much difference, when it keeps me on top of a new OS.

Thank Post

Vista is coming - deal with it, guys. You can like it or not at your discretion, and we could talk the Windows-vs-Mac-vs-Ubuntu debate for ever, but at some point our sites will go Vista so we might as well get it on our own PCs now, discover the differences and learn how to use them (rather than just gripe that it doesn't look like XP), identify the bugs, find out in plenty of time what apps/hardware won't work so you can plan for the upgrade/replacement, and - armed with that information - be able to steer the eventual and unavoidable deployment (or of course decide that it sucks and convince SMT to go open source, but let's face it that's not likely to happen...)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ouch!

Thank Post

Vista doesn't run faster with Aero, thats an illusion. When its disabled and you open a folder it takes a second or two to fill with the contents, have Aero on and windows take bout a second to open with the fading and what not so by the time it opens, the content has aswell as the job has been split between processor and gpu. And it looks gorgeous, macs look really childish in terms of graphics to me (all bouncy), Aero looks more professional imo.

File copying is unforgivabely slow but hey its new, it'll be fixed up in time. I do agree with the Network controls though, constantly forgetting to turn on Network Discovery, as bad as UAC in my opinion.

I'm getting a Compaq laptop for Christmas and can't wait to give it a proper going over. I;m one fo the few never to have a driver error, bsod or anyfin really, I;ve been lucky

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have to admit that Vista is reasonably stable, pretty much the same speed as a fully patched XP box (after you have applied a few custom bits on the themes for XP) and I have only had one driver problem ... and that was a rather naff Lexmark.

Oh ... it runs best in Boot Camp on a Mac Book Pro ... better than the Dells I've tried it on, the Acers, the Toshibas ...

But yes ... the best and worst thing about Apple is indeed Mr Jobs ... even the people that love him breath a sigh of relief that Bill Gates got in there first ... just imagine what it would have been like if Apple hadn't been the underdogs, trying to use style as a selling point, pushing the rest of the industry to rethink how they do things.

We would have Quadra clones on our desks now instead!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Vista is coming - deal with it, guys. You can like it or not at your discretion, and we could talk the Windows-vs-Mac-vs-Ubuntu debate for ever, but at some point our sites will go Vista so we might as well get it on our own PCs now, discover the differences and learn how to use them (rather than just gripe that it doesn't look like XP), identify the bugs, find out in plenty of time what apps/hardware won't work so you can plan for the upgrade/replacement, and - armed with that information - be able to steer the eventual and unavoidable deployment (or of course decide that it sucks and convince SMT to go open source, but let's face it that's not likely to happen...)
    Not at this school not yet anyway and as for trying it on my own machine well lets just say im not forking out 500 quid for one louzy vista license ( I would much rather put 500 quid on an apple mac ).

I mean you can get a mac mini for 500 quid and 500 quid pays off most of the cost of a mac book.

Im not saying vista is exactly 500 quid btw , last time I checked I think it was actually 400 quid but still, thats a lot of money just to buy the operating system compared to OS X ( now leopard ) which only costs about 90 quid ?

Just my opinion, whether you agree or not is down to your own discretion

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by richard
    Tried it and hated it. That reminds me anyone want to buy my Vista Ultimate upgrade disks?
    My Point exactly - There are better things to spend money on then vista

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries

If there is a new version of Windows due in less than 2 years time I for one would hold my breath and wait for that. Remember Windows ME anyone?
    They did it once, they could do it again.
    Would you let your end users loose with Vista?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    If there is a new version of Windows due in less than 2 years time I for one would hold my breath and wait for that. Remember Windows ME anyone?
    They did it once, they could do it again.
    Would you let your end users loose with Vista?
    I'm sure they would do it again dos box and letting users loose with vista -- hhmmm NO lol

M$ Does it again :

http://technodigits.files.wordpress....vistaerror.jpg

Thank Post

Vista is coming - deal with it, guys. You can like it or not at your discretion, and we could talk the Windows-vs-Mac-vs-Ubuntu debate for ever, but at some point our sites will go Vista
    Actually there's absolutely no guarantee and frankly it's this "There's no choice, we're hostage to this" that does absolutely nothing to encourage MS or anyone else to get with the program.

I've already written 4 year plans for most of my schools and Vista is in year 3 or 4 and it has a big question mark next to it because I see absolutely no benefit to using it in a schools environment at all. The fact that professionals such as ourselves are going backwards instead of forwards should speak volumes at this point.

so we might as well get it on our own PCs now, discover the differences and learn how to use them (rather than just gripe that it doesn't look like XP), identify the bugs, find out in plenty of time what apps/hardware won't work so you can plan for the upgrade/replacement, and - armed with that information - be able to steer the eventual and unavoidable deployment (or of course decide that it sucks and convince SMT to go open source, but let's face it that's not likely to happen...)
    It'd be professional suicide not to familiarise ourselves with the new system and learn its quirks but I for one am seriously looking at alternatives in ways I never seriously considered before. Granted it may not come down to a major change and Vista may well get in but I'm willing to bet that the next generation of MS OS's will have much more serious competition in the wings.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Vista is coming - deal with it, guys. Blah blah there's no getting away from Vista etc etc etc
    Not necessarily.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information