+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, unable to set wallpaper in vista following virus in Technical; Have just managed to get rid of a virus (spy shredder) on my dad's pc using AVG and spybot S&D. ...

Thank Post

unable to set wallpaper in vista following virus

Have just managed to get rid of a virus (spy shredder) on my dad's pc using AVG and spybot S&D. However since doing it he can't set anything as desktop background (is running with Vista). Have read on net somewhere that there may be a problem with the registry and it needs editing. This sounds a bit daunting. Does anyone know how to solve this?? Any help would be appreciated

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: unable to set wallpaper in vista following virus

If you have a virus i would recommend a clean install of vista do then your sure its no longer there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

If you have a virus i would recommend a clean install of vista do then your sure its no longer there.
    Thats a bit OTT - you won't learn anything in this world if you just re-build every time you get a virus.
    Learn how to get rid of the virus to start with and it will lead you to learn more things about the OS and give you more confidence to address other problems in the future.
    Just wiping an OS and starting over is certainly not the way forward and certainly not the way an IT technician should approach matters.

The only way I would re-build a PC or group of PCs because of a problem would be if time was an issue and they were needed urgently. I would rather spend a few hours working out a problem knowing I have fixed it, found a work around, or written a fix than just re-installing.
    Most viruses are straight forward to get rid off once you have done a few and you know how they work. Would you re-install an OS if a PC had a straight forward macro virus ????? NO !!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I know but if you have a computer in a work environment or in a school and the machine is needed i think its the way forward because that way you know the virus won't come back and pass it on to other computer. That way you could possibly be saving time in time future. If its a big/good/complicated virus it could possibly take-down some of the network. You might aswell eliminate it totally before it gets to that stage.

If it was i home computer i would remove it manually and for computers that files are not saved on a server. I dont know this guys situation but if his dad uses this computer for work maybe you should do it

I totally agree with you what you are saying about learning about computers.

Thank Post

If its a big/good/complicated virus it could possibly take-down some of the network. You might aswell eliminate it totally before it gets to that stage.
    Simple solution - take the network cable out or turn the wireless card off.

That way you could possibly be saving time in time future.
    And you could save even more time by learning how to remove it manually first which would take less time than having to re-build an entire PC or group of PCs.

I totally agree with you what you are saying about learning about computers.
    Good.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Simple solution - take the network cable out or turn the wireless card off.
    But if you read i am talking about, i am talking about the virus coming back. If it comes back you may not know if that's the case you wouldn't unplug the cable.

And you could save even more time by learning how to remove it manually first which would take less time than having to re-build an entire PC or group of PCs.
    Fair point.

But the way I see things is to be better safe than sorry.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thats a bit OTT - you won't learn anything in this world if you just re-build every time you get a virus.
    Learn how to get rid of the virus to start with and it will lead you to learn more things about the OS and give you more confidence to address other problems in the future.
    Just wiping an OS and starting over is certainly not the way forward and certainly not the way an IT technician should approach matters.

The only way I would re-build a PC or group of PCs because of a problem would be if time was an issue and they were needed urgently. I would rather spend a few hours working out a problem knowing I have fixed it, found a work around, or written a fix than just re-installing.
    Most viruses are straight forward to get rid off once you have done a few and you know how they work. Would you re-install an OS if a PC had a straight forward macro virus ????? NO !!!
    Huh? Having worked at a university for 3 years where virus removal was one of the main tasks of my role, I can say that removing the virus using all the tools is all well and good - but that process can mess up your OS dramatically. The standard thing to do was: a) remove virus b) educate user c) tell user to reformat and reinstall windows when they can.

I would say around 35% of cases couldn't be dealt with by removal and had to be done by re-install.

Thank Post

I would say around 35% of cases couldn't be dealt with by removal and had to be done by re-install.
    Interesting, in my last role which had a heavy side role in IT security, I actually wrote scripts etc which removed certain trojans / viruses which the PC support team used. This saved vast amounts of time when dealing with this sort of thing. I would say only about 3% of PCs were re-built because of a virus / trojan.
    Of course they were all tested in a virtual PC first just in case it did cause problems with the OS - none of my many scripts I seem to remember caused a problem......[ not that I heard of anyhoo !! ]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ok can i as why are we arguing over a virus

Maybe we should focus on marky2027's question

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes, and the response was that the safest bet is to simply backup the work and re-install. This is less daunting than trawling through registry, system files and hoping you got it all...

It is more socially responsible too.

And mattx - You've not been given a uni student's computer before then :P Many don't have anti-virus software as they are gamers and it slows their games down, many just don't pay any attention to the 'out of date' warnings. Some have been so riddled with crap that they barely turned on. (I started work at uni about 6 months after the blaster outbreak - that was fun, according to the people there, as it simply infected everything. I believe the number was 85% of student machines (of which there were around 10,000) were infected...)

Many viruses infect existing files on your system and cannot be cleaned due to this (some can, some can't). Therefore, only removing the file works - which is normally damaging the system in some way.

BTW - to anyone wanting to remove viruses, the symantec virus database is an invaluable tool.

Thank Post

You've not been given a uni student's computer before then
    No, I've been given much worse !!

Ok can i as why are we arguing over a virus
    We are not, we are discussing / debating / exchanging experiences we have had.

Maybe we should focus
    Focus ? Next you will be using other manager clap trap speak like ' Touch base ' & ' Singing from the same Hymn sheet ' - Christ FN at 16 years of age you are starting to worry me with phrases like that......!

I can't focus at the moment, I've had too much to drink this evening - a few beers and a bottle of Smirnoff have done me a treat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Focus ? Next you will be using other manager clap trap speak like ' Touch base ' & ' Singing from the same Hymn sheet ' - Christ FN at 16 years of age you are starting to worry me with phrases like that......!
    There is no need to talk to me or localzuk you are one of the most ignorant rude people I have met on this forum and probably in my life. You have a serious attitude problem and maybe you should sort it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Agree with FN-G here. Mattx, you need to start treating people on this site with respect - I've seen quite a few posts where you behave in a rude manner and it simply doesn't help.

We provided our advice and experiences and you simply turn around and speak as if we know nothing. Please accept what we say, criticise it, without being rude, if you feel the need to, don't comment about anyone's age or chosen language and move on.

Thank Post

you need to start treating people on this site with respect
    You earn respect in my book - you just don't get it.

We provided our advice and experiences
    As have I.

You have a serious attitude problem and maybe you should sort it.
    I also have a sense of humor FN. I take it you have not played buzz word bingo ? Both of my kids play it with me all the time.

please accept what we say, criticise it, without being rude
    I could say the same about you but I have not, I have read your comments and replied to them accordingly.

don't comment about anyone's age or chosen language and move on.
    Where does it say in the rules we can't do that then ? I was just offering FN some advice like I have done in the past. I have offered him advice on scripting and other IT stuff and he has [ hopefully ] taken it on board as he is a young chap trying to get into the world of IT Support.
    I shall ignore his immature comments as I am sure he would not say that sort of thing to my face. Behind a keyboard it's alot easier.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I shall ignore his immature comments as I am sure he would not say that sort of thing to my face. Behind a keyboard it's alot easier.
    I would say it to your face im not scared of you. Why should I be? if you haven't realised your the i immature one with the way you snap at people.

You earn respect in my book - you just don't get it.
    So anyone new you talk to you treat like dirt?

I also have a sense of humor FN. I take it you have not played buzz word bingo ? Both of my kids play it with me all the time.
    What?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast