+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Am I limited to Vista business only? in Technical; What is generally considered OK for running in schools? We were going to go for Ultimate but discovered only Vista ...
    Thank Post

Am I limited to Vista business only?

What is generally considered OK for running in schools? We were going to go for Ultimate but discovered only Vista does volume licensing (and I think we can cope without the Xbox functionality)

Is it possible to just purchase upgrades or does it require the XP CD during installation? (I don't want to be fishing both the vista and XP CD's when building images)

I also understand you need a licence server - I assume all this is on the Vista CD

Is it possible to buy one licence (but a volume key) whilst we are testing, and then when we roll out to add new licences to the licence server?

Thank Post

Re: Am I limited to Vista business only?

I dont know all the answers but:

Vista Upgrade CDs will only upgrade, you'll need to install an OS there first that qualifies, so XP. Or you can install Vista with no CD key and upgrade that with another install on top that has a key...

You'll only be eligable for Business unless you have a Select Agreement when you can get Enterprise and I believe, a couple of Ultimates.

That's all I know.

Thank Post

I think we have a Volume License for Vista Business here...

I created an image using a trial install, upgraded again with the key - though I had to actually work out how to put the key in, inside Vista because I wasn't asked for ANYTHING during either install...

Anyway, As I remember, if you run under a Domain situation, Vista B' and higher are the only ones which support being added to a Domain.

In addition to the above, a discussion with my boss/sysAdmin ended up with this comment:

"Microsoft don't think school's need what's included in Enterprise & Ultimate, so we don't have it. But I can think of plenty of places to use Media Centre..."

Oddly enough though... Vista works better than XP on some computers.... like... poor spec ones...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries

Were I worked at the CLC they purchased a few hundred Vista business N licences. There just isn’t a need fro the ultimate in school, Extras is has are more for the home user such as parental control, xBox thing, bit locker, media centre.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    I dont know all the answers but:

Vista Upgrade CDs will only upgrade, you'll need to install an OS there first that qualifies, so XP. Or you can install Vista with no CD key and upgrade that with another install on top that has a key...

You'll only be eligable for Business unless you have a Select Agreement when you can get Enterprise and I believe, a couple of Ultimates.

That's all I know.
    If you want to use upgrade disks but are worried about having a clean install rather than putting on XP first there is a way around it.

Install Vista without typing in the reg key then immediatly install on top of that and you will be able to use your upgrade key. If you already have XP licences, you aren't breaking any laws because you are still upgrading and you don't cock up your image.

Hope that's of some help.

Thank Post

Handy.. thanks!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ultimate is pointless for schools, but you can get some free copies for home if you ask microsoft nicely enough, its part of the select advantage agreement bonus's under their licensing website

Thank Post

I can see benefits to Ultimate in school, partly to learn the ins and outs of the Home features that Business lacks for when people insist on coming for personal PC help!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread