+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Server 2012 is now RTM!! in Technical; Why are some NMs in a rush to roll out the latest server/workstation OS? Ok its good to be ahead ...
    Thank Post
    Why are some NMs in a rush to roll out the latest server/workstation OS? Ok its good to be ahead with technology but where technology hasn't been able to "mature" if you like you could end up with a few problems which may take up a lot of time and cause disruption to users to fix. With schools these days that disruption leads to a lot of lost teaching time. We are still running XP workstations which I would have migrated over to Windows 7 this summer, however as I have had to migrate to a vanilla Server 2008R2 Domain this summer and there will be teething issues I felt expecting users to learn a new operating system at the same time wasn't the right way to do it. We will however be testing Windows 7 with a group and classroom of users before going live school wide.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_2k View Post
    Why are some NMs in a rush to roll out the latest server/workstation OS?.
    I doubt it's a case of being in a rush. As with anything, you need to do a risk/benefits analysis and see what's right for your individual setup. Am I in a rush to install Win2012? Not really, certainly have no foreseeable need to upgrade our DC's and we are still running a number of Win2k3 servers. Win2012 has some specific technological advances that 4 of my servers in particular will benefit from. Will I install day one? No, but I'm not going to wait for SP1 either (unless there are some particularly nasty Vista-esque/ME reviews early on).

Thank Post
    I am hoping to beta 2012 soon, any idea if the multiple password reset functionality have been included in AD?? I cant wait to test it out... Already running Win8 on my PC, so far so good... Need a touch screen monitor now
    Last edited by ColonelHawx; 17th August 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_2k View Post
    Why are some NMs in a rush to roll out the latest server/workstation OS? Ok its good to be ahead with technology but where technology hasn't been able to "mature" if you like you could end up with a few problems which may take up a lot of time and cause disruption to users to fix. With schools these days that disruption leads to a lot of lost teaching time. We are still running XP workstations which I would have migrated over to Windows 7 this summer, however as I have had to migrate to a vanilla Server 2008R2 Domain this summer and there will be teething issues I felt expecting users to learn a new operating system at the same time wasn't the right way to do it. We will however be testing Windows 7 with a group and classroom of users before going live school wide.
    I'll try 2012 on the firewall server for its DA components just on that server but only if it proves itself in a bit of testing maybe on the VM hosts a little later. W8 is going on the new testing slates that we got as it is better suited to them (as testing with the RC has proved). We won't go fully upgrade crazy untill it proves useful but there is no reason for users not to have access to it in a few places to start getting used to it. We don't want to be one of those schools still stuck with a 10 year old OS so we keep rolling the new stuff through into testing then operation so that the users and the network don't stagnate and end up sticking with an OS older than most of its users at the school and as such too old for many of them to have seen outside a school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123