+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Server 2012 is now RTM!! in Technical; Moving VMs to another server while I do a complete reinstall of Windows isn't so much of a problem for ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Moving VMs to another server while I do a complete reinstall of Windows isn't so much of a problem for the Hyper-V hosts, we have plenty of spare capacity across all three to manage this. The problem is more with the storage array. I've just introduced a NAS box on the storage lan that is using Robocopy to periodically mirror everything on the main storage box but I don't really want to do a complete rebuild/restore unless I absolutely have to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Moving VMs to another server while I do a complete reinstall of Windows isn't so much of a problem for the Hyper-V hosts, we have plenty of spare capacity across all three to manage this. The problem is more with the storage array. I've just introduced a NAS box on the storage lan that is using Robocopy to periodically mirror everything on the main storage box but I don't really want to do a complete rebuild/restore unless I absolutely have to.
    Depends on your setup, if your storeage is on a different partion just image the primary boot partion and then wipe the primary and install fresh, assuming the drives are mapped to the same letters and you back up the chunk of the reg that handles the share locations you should be fine. As it is still a domain joined station the permissions should be fine as the security guids are all from the domain.

It is more complicated if you have more roles installed on it though and could need more messing. I did this a couple of times before we moved to a SAN at which point moving the docs from one server to another was a reg frag export/import and five minutes in the command shell for the SAN.

If your existing storage server is 2008R2 on 64bit it probably will be upgradable but the result is never as good.

Thank Post
    Why would Server 2012 need a metro interface? It's a server, you wont find it installed on a tablet!.. I don't think Windows 8 or Server 2012 will work well in enterprises.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Why would Server 2012 need a metro interface?
    It doesn't
    You won't
    I don't think <snip> Server 2012 will work well in enterprises.
    It will

Move along

Thank Post
    I agree it has some new features that are good, like the mount ISO in Windows Explorer, but i think there needs to be a option to switch between the metro interface and a normal start menu.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would Server 2012 need a metro interface? It's a server, you wont find it installed on a tablet!.. I don't think Windows 8 or Server 2012 will work well in enterprises.
    For Remote Desktop Services.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    For Remote Desktop Services.
    *shudder* what a hideous thought!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    there needs to be a option to switch between the metro interface and a normal start menu.
    There is, read the rest of the thread.

Thank Post
    One of the key ideas of Server 2012 is that everything will be remotely managed and you will rarely need to 'touch' a server.
    The idea is that you configure the server using the full GUI version, DSIM it down to core edition (yes you can migrate from full fat to core without a reinstall) and then remotely manage everything with RSAT.

Thank Post
    Server 2012 should be installed in 'server core' mode, ie headless and powershell used to manage it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Server 2012 should be installed in 'server core' mode, ie headless and powershell used to manage it.
    Meh, thats up to the individual admins, You don't suggest the everyone forgoes the managment apps for ESXi and does it manually. Same thing here, you can dump server core on it and use whatever tools nessisary to configure it from a different system without affecting server performance or security. GUI or PowerShell, just use the tool most suited to the job, its just the same as 2008r2 core, you can remote manage that to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    sorry if all goes wrong id rather be able to use the console to fix it. say networking goes belly up and your only access is mmc/rdp youre a bit stuck

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts

14. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

SYNACK (5th August 2012), TheScarfedOne (7th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    sorry if all goes wrong id rather be able to use the console to fix it. say networking goes belly up and your only access is mmc/rdp youre a bit stuck
    you still get a console on the local machine with 'core server' so if it all goes wrong you can still get local access. No different than a *nix server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    you still get a console on the local machine with 'core server' so if it all goes wrong you can still get local access. No different than a *nix server.
    A little different if you can get IP back, you get way better GUI tools to mess with the windows side ;D But yea, you are right, you get a console to play with if everything goes south you still have a shell that can configure everything. The only issue is that the GUI has paied the price as there are some things you can no longer do with the GUI alone so you need to venture back in time to monochrome text mode in order to do certain things, local GUI install or not.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 5th August 2012 at 04:17 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast