+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Windows Server 2012 Licensing Changes - here we go again..... in Technical; Windows Server 2012 Licensing Changes | Software Ruminations...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Windows Server 2012 Licensing Changes - here we go again.....

2. Thanks to mattx from:

Patrickv (7th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Shouldn't this be posted in the new Windows Server 2012 forum?

Also, fewer Windows editions = good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Nice to see the death of Windows SBS!!!! By the looks of it they are pushing them to 365/google Apps/Alternative such as Zimbra << I'm hoping!

EDIT:
    Each license covers 2 CPUs
    So does that mean with a Standard License you get to use it on a dual socket CPU? or is it done on the cores i.e if you have a dual 6 core xeon (12 cores) you need 6 licenses?
    Last edited by glennda; 6th July 2012 at 10:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    As per usual, clear as mud. Microsoft will never learn...

I wish they'd do away with CALs and just integrate the CAL license into Windows Pro or Enterprise itself. After all, these are the only editions you can connect to a domain.

As for cores, in a number of years we'll easily have 32 core or 64 core CPUs, so Microsoft just need to license it per physical CPU rather than core, otherwise it'll get complicated.
    Last edited by Michael; 6th July 2012 at 10:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Nice to see the death of Windows SBS!!!! By the looks of it they are pushing them to 365/google Apps/Alternative such as Zimbra << I'm hoping!

EDIT:

So does that mean with a Standard License you get to use it on a dual socket CPU? or is it done on the cores i.e if you have a dual 6 core xeon (12 cores) you need 6 licenses?
    It's been sockets since XP, I don't see them changing that. Yay for the death of SBS, hateful thing it was too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    The FAQ has more detailed info...

Windows Server 2012 Licensing & Pricing FAQ (PDF)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Hey Hey Hey nothing wrong with SBS it fills a very specific need, for example my local Age UK branch, I've just upgraded them from SBS 2003 to the latest SBS and its great, one box doing everything well and as a charity for peanuts cost as well. You just have to know how to poke / attack it to get the best from it and know when to stop poking and if your poking too hard.

9. Thanks to john from:

howartp (16th September 2012)

Thank Post
    I totally agree. This time they pooched the GUI interface that which I don't like based on the online screen shots. eg start menu and desktop. I tell you that my dad still hasn't got use to the Windows 7 GUI as he been using XP for a long time. Microsoft keep changing stuff. Their is a saying "If it ain't broken don't fix it" <- That is true in my professional opinion.
    Last edited by Patrickv; 7th July 2012 at 03:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Hey Hey Hey nothing wrong with SBS it fills a very specific need, for example my local Age UK branch, I've just upgraded them from SBS 2003 to the latest SBS and its great, one box doing everything well and as a charity for peanuts cost as well. You just have to know how to poke / attack it to get the best from it and know when to stop poking and if your poking too hard.
    I read the full PDF - they are not really doing away with SBS just removing exchange from it and including a Office 365 connector and calling it 2012 essentials(i think to many drinks to remember the real name so i made one up) - trying to push SMB's to the cloud which half on my clients wouldnt want to do with the current state of the internet in the UK.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh thank god for the demise of SBS. I remember installing a "Flavor" (cant remember which) of that about 5-6 years ago. It's fine as long as you dont want to make it attualy do anything .

This is why i praise my school's agreement. "Licence Headache = removed". That is as long as i can count

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBaxter View Post
    Oh thank god for the demise of SBS. I remember installing a "Flavor" (cant remember which) of that about 5-6 years ago. It's fine as long as you dont want to make it attualy do anything .

This is why i praise my school's agreement. "Licence Headache = removed". That is as long as i can count
    SBS has some features which would actually be pretty good in the full version (such as its remote access RDP stuff). But thats about it. Sharepoint should just be shot and Exchange being removed is pushing people to the Cloud. Which A lot of my customers with SBS would not want to do. Therefore will look to alternatives as Exchange is expensive in the private world.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ElenG View Post
    So SBS will be discontinued?
    Yes and No. An essentials version will be available which is has Sharepoint etc installed but will have a Office 365 connector instead of Microsoft Exchange.

Thank Post
    SBS has been helpful to some of my work mates here... Though I wonder what exactly MS is deciding...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread