+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, File Server Resource Manager help in Technical; Hi guys, Got our new servers installed and running. A quick question I have set the folder quotas on our ...
    Thank Post

File Server Resource Manager help

Hi guys,

Got our new servers installed and running. A quick question I have set the folder quotas on our first server which has staff home directories locally on it and they work fine. I now want to do the same for the students on another server also running 2012 R2.

Do I need to install File Server Resource Manager locally on that server or can the first instance on teh staff server manage files on another server in the domain?

Thanks guys

Thank Post
    I think you'll need the FSRM role, but you can then manage it through the console on the other server.

From MS Using the File Server Resource Manager Component (an old page but should still be relevant:

Managing Storage Resources on a Remote Computer

To manage storage resources on a remote computer, you can connect to the computer from File Server Resource Manager. While you are connected, File Server Resource Manager will display the objects created on the remote computer, allowing you to manage them.

The remote computer must be running the same operating system with File Server Resource Manager installed.

To connect to a remote computer, you must be logged on with a domain account that has administrative rights on the remote computer.
    To connect to a remote computer from File Server Resource Manager

In the console tree, right-click File Server Resource Manager, and then click Connect to another computer.

In the dialog box that opens, click Another computer, and then select or type the name of the server you want to connect to. Click OK.

3. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

daneil16 (27th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,498 Posts
    FSRM needs to be installed on every server you want to use it on.

Ben

5. Thanks to plexer from:

daneil16 (27th August 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information