+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Creating my first Server 2012 R2 machine in Technical; Afternoon all, I come with hat in hand - I've been trying to make the switch from Desktop Support to ...
    Thank Post

Creating my first Server 2012 R2 machine

Afternoon all,

I come with hat in hand - I've been trying to make the switch from Desktop Support to Server Support and have been playing the CBT's and reading until my eyes are numb.

They're good - but I'm now trying to put it all into "real-world" practise so when I take my 70-410/11,12, I know what I'm doing as well as having a clue what to do in real-world situations (ie we decide to have a new server, or create a domain, etc).

So far I have just one machine with Server 2012R2 Standard installed (With GUI, I'll move to Core when I'm ready) which I'm looking to make a DC firstly, and then maybe add more later on as time passes.

Boiling it down, is it a case of:

* Changing address to static (something like 192.168.xxx.xxx)
    * Installing the required roles (I know I need ADDS, DNS, and GP - is there anything else?)
    * Setup DNS scope/range
    * Setup AD DS with a "domain"
    * Setup GP
    * Maybe install File/Storage ad create some generic-looking areas?

Is there anything else? I mean, is there a set list/plan people use when building/installing a new server?

Any hints/advice/flaying's more than welcome - I'm still learning and want to be able to do this a few times before I start booking the exams first.

Thank Post
    Yep have your domain name ready and DNS forward information (or use google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Possibly other roles to consider are DHCP (if you don't have one already). I've not got as far as looking at 2012 so don't know how much has changed, previous server windows you goto run or cmd line and type:

DCPROMO

This kicks off the domain wizard, it will also check that all the required roles and services are available and walks you through domain creation, take it slow and google anything your unsure on. I believe there's a few gotcha's for domain naming. I think its strongly advised you DON'T use .local

My advice is if your starting out and playing around is to find a machine with a decent amount of ram in and setup a few virtual machines something like hyper-v (windows 8) or virtualbox and start creating virtual servers/clients and play around, this will allow you to quickly create multiple machines, create test machines and break everything down again quickly, also if you make a mistake scratch it all and start again.

Microsoft also have some great tech labs (multiple machine enviroments) designed to teach specific environments / roles.

TechNet Virtual Labs

Best of luck

Thank Post
    I created something similar for my test network, 1 dc with dns, ad role and dhcp.
    you can give the ad role via server manager now, and that checks for dns etc...no need for dc promo but it may still work knowing microsoft.
    I also gave the hyper v role and created a member file server just for testing shares, gpo's etc.. 2012 is really nice and I have it running on a pc thats a few years old, as its only for testing mine is as simple as it comes really, no Internet access so I called the domain .internal. Esentially though under the skin a lot of the old commands\ ms stuff still work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyd101 View Post
    DCPROMO
    DCPromo has been deprecated in 2012 / 2012 R2. You should use one of the following PowerShell commands if you aren't going to use Server Manager.

• Install-ADDSDomainController – Creates a new domain controller in an existing domain.
    • Install-ADDSDomain – Creates a new domain in an existing forest.
    • Install-ADDSForest – Creates a new forest.

Thank Post
    Ok, thanks for that guys - I've been using the Virtual Labs for a while but felt they were a bit restricted as in the actual setting up of the server was done and each topic just covers what the features do. I was struggling to work out how it all pieced together in a live machine, but as long as I keep to those as a basic rule, things should be good. I haven't touched Servers as much as I'd like but those I've spoken to say that 2012 is a lot more friendly than previous versions, and I need to learn more Powershell commands.

Admittedly I *did* call the first server "Happy.Local" and I was able to set a static address but it didn't like me using google DNS for some reason. I've added DNS and DCHP to it and AD, but I'll scrub it and re-do it until I'm happy enough first.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank Post
    Might be worth playing with 2012 just with Shell Console only no GUI, 'specially if you're going to go down the certification route.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread