+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Robocopy Permission oddity in Technical; I'm using Robocopy to migrate some files from server 2003 to Windows 2012 and it seems to *mostly* work but ...

Thank Post

Robocopy Permission oddity

I'm using Robocopy to migrate some files from server 2003 to Windows 2012 and it seems to *mostly* work but when I am checking some of the permissions it seems that it has copied the files across but it looks like some of the permissions have been lost. This seems to be with long folder & file names so I was thinking could it be down to the length? Odd thing is the file has copied OK but just the permissions have been left off. Regardless of how I try and copy the permissions over it doesn't copy them (although it runs successfully). Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Have you tried using the /FAT switch to see if that makes any difference - with you mentioning that only very long filenames are affected, might be an interesting experiment...

Edit: robocopy help "/FAT :: create destination files using 8.3 FAT file names only."
    Meldrew

Thank Post
    @Meldrew - No I haven't, I'm just guessing that it is only long files that are affected but the filename is still the same (only the permissions are not copied) so I'm unsure if that is the cause.

Will try your suggestion this afternoon and see if I can get any further.

Thank Post
    I'm just doing some comparisons on the 2 folders that I've copied as when I checked the logs of Robocopy it showed it copied ALL the files across but when I looked at the permissions of the folder it didn't show all the contents. I've re-run robocopy and now the content looks right, but in the meantime I downloaded FreeFileSync so I could run a comparison and noticed that it also does copy permissions over. Has anyone ever used this to migrate files? As it looks like it will do everything I need I'm wondering if I should use this instead of trying to get Robocopy to play ball.

Thank Post
    Migration you say? Try the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information